Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 12 Apr 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3391526)   #6451
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Most were happy to write it off in 2013 and have only sought affirmation in 2014. To their credit, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the positives so far, but that sentiment can be applied to just about ALL forms of motor racing these days and only gets exacerbated with all the negative waves in here and other threads. However, their are plenty of positives that I can still focus on in TUSC and elsewhere. Spot on MrB, 2.25 races in and I am not jumping ship just yet.
You're right, the series hasn't exactly covered themselves with glory so far this season, and I don't have the wool pulled over my eyes so to speak. But I am still going to stick this thing out. Because I am a fan of racing and sportscar racing in particular.

There are many other sports I follow, and from time to time my favorite team has a down year. A year where they can't get out of their own way and win a game. I don't stop liking the team though. That is how I feel about TUSC right now, they are having a bad year, but somehow they will pull through, and I'll still be a fan.

I also wonder if a lot of the complaints we have about BOP would be there if the situation was reversed. What if P2's were blowing away the DP's after the first 2 races? Would everyone here still be howling about inequality, conspiracy theories, and favoritism? I suspect not.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3391528)   #6452
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
In reference to the 'competing watch manufacturers not allowed' discussions from last year, no Breitling logos on Bentleys in BES this weekend.
Yet a Ferrari running BES has rather prominent "Alpina" logos on it's doors. (watching feed via nismo.tv)

Last edited by Breitling24; 12 Apr 2014 at 17:57.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 12 Apr 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3391533)   #6453
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
There are many other sports I follow, and from time to time my favorite team has a down year. A year where they can't get out of their own way and win a game. I don't stop liking the team though. That is how I feel about TUSC right now, they are having a bad year, but somehow they will pull through, and I'll still be a fan.
Same here, but you know damn well that sometimes its just too painful to watch. Unfortunately, there's plenty that feel that way already.

Let's see what gives at LB. Plenty of time left on my clock.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3391562)   #6454
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Yet a Ferrari running BES has rather prominent "Alpina" logos on it's doors. (watching feed via nismo.tv)
And the PMNA/CORE RSRs are running Chopard decals on their mirrors.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3391726)   #6455
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm beginning to lose faith in the series. Two races to get the broadcasting sorted out is enough, but to have ridiculous ad breaks after fan feedback is insane.

What the hell is the point of having a 100 minute race when half of it is adverts?!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3391732)   #6456
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What impressed me is that Fox managed to fit in 41 minutes of commercials into a 100-minute race. That has to be some kind of record for a TV show.

Will these guys Ever get it right?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 00:41 (Ref:3391743)   #6457
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
As I've said elsewhere, I want to like what TUSC is trying to do, but after Long Beach it gets difficult. An overly short and indifferent quality race would be one thing but the lamentable presentation of the product was unforgivable.

For me I've long maintained that as TUSC was the only game in town and as such deserve our support, today's experience says I was wrong and that maybe this needs to go the way of all flesh.

To save this village we first had to destroy it...
Old 13 Apr 2014, 00:44 (Ref:3391745)   #6458
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
As I've said elsewhere, I want to like what TUSC is trying to do, but after Long Beach it gets difficult. An overly short and indifferent quality race would be one thing but the lamentable presentation of the product was unforgivable.

For me I've long maintained that as TUSC was the only game in town and as such deserve our support, today's experience says I was wrong and that maybe this needs to go the way of all flesh.

To save this village we first had to destroy it...
Yep, three strikes... glad I made no plans for Laguna. DP/P2 BoP and tire situation is horrendous, Watching on TV not worth the time. Good weekend to visit my Mom and Dad, or a weekender to San Diego.
Maybe I'll plan on PWC at Sonoma, for sure WEC in Austin.

Last edited by Breitling24; 13 Apr 2014 at 00:51.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3391756)   #6459
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems to be getting better in a way

No FCY
No terrible calls.

But, when it seems they fix something, a new problem arises.

I think they get it eventually...
Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3391758)   #6460
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Well, it seems to be getting better in a way

No FCY
No terrible calls.

But, when it seems they fix something, a new problem arises.

I think they get it eventually...
But nobody will be left to see if they actually do fix it...
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:26 (Ref:3391772)   #6461
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Personally, I'm an ALMS fan....not a TUSC fan.
If the new IMSA wants me as a fan, then they are going to have to earn it.
So far, they aint done to well.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3391774)   #6462
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
What impressed me is that Fox managed to fit in 41 minutes of commercials into a 100-minute race. That has to be some kind of record for a TV show.

Will these guys Ever get it right?
No. But I understand the MRN coverage was terrific.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:37 (Ref:3391777)   #6463
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was excited for the first all pro race of the season, and the no full course cautions was a huge bonus. They could have thrown the double yellows at two separate times but they waited and let the cars get on their way. Bravo for that. But for a reason I can't put my finger on the race didn't grab me. It wasn't a bad race, there were some good battles but it was overall kind of blah. It may have been the 100 minute length, an all green race over 3 or 6 hours could be truly interesting. But I do hesitate to write that because I like the different strategy required for such a short race. What I really look forward to now is Laguna.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:59 (Ref:3391786)   #6464
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was excited for the first all pro race of the season, and the no full course cautions was a huge bonus. They could have thrown the double yellows at two separate times but they waited and let the cars get on their way. Bravo for that. But for a reason I can't put my finger on the race didn't grab me. It wasn't a bad race, there were some good battles but it was overall kind of blah. It may have been the 100 minute length, an all green race over 3 or 6 hours could be truly interesting. But I do hesitate to write that because I like the different strategy required for such a short race. What I really look forward to now is Laguna.
Admittedly, each of the Laguna Seca races will only be 20 minutes longer than this race, so it's still a semi-sprint strategy.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3391789)   #6465
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Admittedly, each of the Laguna Seca races will only be 20 minutes longer than this race, so it's still a semi-sprint strategy.
Good point. But that will be a 2 stop race so hopefully makes it interesting. Why the p2 cars are still shutting down during pit stops is beyond me. Oak has trouble restarting during the put stop and lost time. Am I missing something on this front?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:20 (Ref:3391791)   #6466
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's entirely up to team preference whether to shut the engine down or not. So they are probably doing it for safety reasons or because of muscle memory.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 06:17 (Ref:3391834)   #6467
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the IMSA needs to mandate on whether they shut the engine off or not.

All I can see right now is that the DP teams are winning.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3391936)   #6468
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I think the IMSA needs to mandate on whether they shut the engine off or not.

All I can see right now is that the DP teams are winning.
They do mandate that you can leave the engine on. I couldn't fathom being penalized for shutting the engine off.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3391937)   #6469
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
They do mandate that you can leave the engine on. I could fathom being penalized for shutting the engine off.
They should mandate engine off for safety - you can see that on many cars the fuel inlet is almost directly above the exhaust outlet - poor gas man at best gets cooked shins, and what happens when the inevitable dribble gets lit?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3391939)   #6470
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They should mandate engine off for safety - you can see that on many cars the fuel inlet is almost directly above the exhaust outlet - poor gas man at best gets cooked shins, and what happens when the inevitable dribble gets lit?
Oh I agree, but I guess the rulemakers felt proper pitstops aren't exciting enough since they're slower. Gotta keep that casual fan interested!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3391952)   #6471
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Oh I agree, but I guess the rulemakers felt proper pitstops aren't exciting enough since they're slower. Gotta keep that casual fan interested!
Yup. I think the point is to get the cars out on track more and in the pits less.

The one change I would like to see is no work while refueling. That would put some tire strategy into the race and, without changing bop, would make p2's more competitive.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3391954)   #6472
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup. I think the point is to get the cars out on track more and in the pits less.

The one change I would like to see is no work while refueling. That would put some tire strategy into the race and, without changing bop, would make p2's more competitive.

I think it would make exciting TV for 6 people to be working on a fireball. Sort of like race ads that only show crashes.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3391955)   #6473
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I think it would make exciting TV for 6 people to be working on a fireball. Sort of like race ads that only show crashes.
Does shutting off the engine really make that much of a difference in terms of refilling safety? Engine running or not, the exhaust is still going to be hot. Also, I can remember two serious fire incidents in ACO-style racing in the last 7 or so years and none in Grand Am.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3391967)   #6474
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Does shutting off the engine really make that much of a difference in terms of refilling safety? Engine running or not, the exhaust is still going to be hot. Also, I can remember two serious fire incidents in ACO-style racing in the last 7 or so years and none in Grand Am.
There's only flame coming out when the engine's on, the exit pipe itself is below ignition point, DP exhausts used to exit in the rear of the car - far from the fuel inlet.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3391980)   #6475
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We all agree that it's safer, no question about it. But, NASCAR doesn't think it's needed when they spill a gallon or two every stop and have at least two pit fires a year from a hot lug...

Screw anyone's safety...it's more exciting.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Closed Thread