Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Apr 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3394525)   #6601
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Who knows? He does own a currently viable P2 and his P1 is obsolete.
On Twitter immediately after that someone asked him about Pickett, and he said he wouldn't count MMPR as a "current" team, so it's not them.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3394530)   #6602
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Insinuating that MMPR was not willing to work for podiums and victories is a load of crap. They want to know if they execute a perfect race, they have a shot at victory.
Good post!
Old 18 Apr 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3394534)   #6603
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Tell ya what ..... Im deeply saddened to see what could have been a superb championship , turn into this farce .

They don't deserve a sportscar championship cuz obviously they have no interest .

All that crap about complaining that the ALMS didn't work and how much better they could manage their own series ..... now look at it .
Old 18 Apr 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3394575)   #6604
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Enzo Potolicchio tells Shaw and Hindy that TUSC knows it has a BoP problem and is planning to make changes?

Could be good news. If TUSC makes changes, we could see the 8Star Ligier full-time in TUSC--and maybe more P2s.
DSC are also reporting that Potolicchio told RLM that unless the BoP is addressed, he may reconsider bringing the Ligier to TUSC.

They're also suggesting there may be another high-profile withdrawal to come, possibly as early as Monday/Tuesday next week....
Old 18 Apr 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3394599)   #6605
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If IMSA doesn't take away about 75-100hp away from the DP,it will be only a DP series next year.

And will be seen in the eyes of ACO/FIA as not a sports car series that gets automatic bids for Le Mans(winner or top two of class).

Last edited by Christian Mogami; 18 Apr 2014 at 18:56.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3394617)   #6606
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
DSC are also reporting that Potolicchio told RLM that unless the BoP is addressed, he may reconsider bringing the Ligier to TUSC.

They're also suggesting there may be another high-profile withdrawal to come, possibly as early as Monday/Tuesday next week....
Later in the interview Enzo also said the series knows they need to fix things. I'm guessing the high profile team is Alex Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
If IMSA doesn't take away about 75-100hp away from the DP,it will be only a DP series next year.

And will be seen in the eyes of ACO/FIA as not a sports car series that gets automatic bids for Le Mans(winner or top two of class).
The class winners haven't gotten auto invites recently in alms, and they don't in Tusc. The series was given at large invites they could divide as they see fit.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3394633)   #6607
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here, but: Should they?

MMPR is by no means a bad team, but they are up against Ganassi, - and I am not even a fan of the Chipster or Pruett - but that's an organisation every bit as good as Penske or Joest.

Pickett accepted not being able to beat Joest under anything but the very best of circumstances, why should he then expect anything different against Ganassi?
It's a fair point, but I think if we just look at the sportscar arm of Ganassi, then yes I believe they should be more than competitive. In fact, I have said elsewhere that I hope they buy and Indycar because I think they would be competitive. MMPR has plenty of resources and engineering talent, IMO, to be at the sharp end of the TUSCC grid.

Joest is on another level and they have been since I have been watching sportscars.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3394676)   #6608
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by JHamilton re: Muscle Milk—"They want to know if they execute a perfect race, they have a shot at victory."

Speed-King replies, "Playing the devil's advocate here, but: Should they? Pickett accepted not being able to beat Joest under anything but the very best of circumstances ..."

The original post specified running a perfect race, which I have to think would be "the very best of circumstances."

As I have said many times, it isn't who wins, it's whether they win a fair fight.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3395159)   #6609
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just finished watching the fantastic ELMS race from Silverstone.
It really shows how good the Tusc series could become, if IMSA follows the pattern of its cousin across the pond.

Our GT classes, plus a solid field of all pro evenly matched P2 cars would be incredible!
Old 19 Apr 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3395233)   #6610
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I just finished watching the fantastic ELMS race from Silverstone.
It really shows how good the Tusc series could become, if IMSA follows the pattern of its cousin across the pond.

Our GT classes, plus a solid field of all pro evenly matched P2 cars would be incredible!
I disagree with some of what you said. That ELMS race was good but I am not impressed with certain aspects of the ELMS and WEC qualifying so far.

1. TUSK has more diversity with the DP cars racing with the LMP2's. Because all the LMP2 cars look the same.

2. I think the ELMS GTC category dumbs down the GT3 cars like GTD in IMSA. Not as much though. Still all Ferraris there. When it comes to GT3 cars: I prefer SRO and PWC over GTD and GTC.

3. OMG. The LMP1 cars are f'ing ugly!! The new Audi R18 disapoints me greatly. I think that car looked great from 2011-2013. The 2014 version looks just awful. The Porsche 919 looks more like last year's Audi so that is tolerable. But i bet some of you will gasp at what I'm about to say: The Corvette DP looks better than any of the LMP1 cars. (thats right I said it)

So yeah after Long Beach my view of TUSK is certainly better. Its not as bad as people on this forum make it out to be. I think the commentaries of Long Beach by both Midweek Motorsport and Sportscar Unleashed are fair and accurate. I think at this point my sportscar fix will be IMSA and SRO with some PWC thorwn in there.

Adjustments I think IMSA can still make:
1. Pull back horsepower on DP cars
2. Let GTD at least have their GT3 rear wings. Although ABS/TC would be nice too.
3. Give GTLM their Daytona fuel capacity levels back
4. Have more LMPC races with IMSA Lites rather than in the main field. This spec class does not bring much to the show and the am drivers can't handle the traffic.

Last edited by jasonjessica09; 19 Apr 2014 at 21:10.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3395247)   #6611
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
But i bet some of you will gasp at what I'm about to say: The Corvette DP looks better than any of the LMP1 cars. (thats right I said it)
Gasp? I nearly choked. Still, we all like what we like, I guess....
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3395252)   #6612
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

1. TUSK has more diversity with the DP cars racing with the LMP2's. Because all the LMP2 cars look the same.
I like to see things from both sides but you may have to help me with this one, because I'm struggling.

To me, an OAK looks nothing like an ORECA. Even the roll hoops are totally different. The Zytek's triangular shapes adds something totally different to the three of them.

Maybe that's just because I've seen them race so much? I don't know. I've watched a few Grand-Am races in my time but they all look so similar to me, and the DPs certainly aren't more "diverse" from one another than the P2s...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3395256)   #6613
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I disagree with some of what you said. That ELMS race was good but I am not impressed with certain aspects of the ELMS and WEC qualifying so far.
The ELMS race was REALLY good! There were three cars battling for the win with five minutes to go. Six cars on the lead lap despite only having one caution late in the race. (also no lap down wave by rule)
Only one caution in a four hour race, despite the fact that all three classes are pro/am is very commendable.
Great job ELMS.
Quote:
Perhaps there is more diversity. Unfortunately the series has so far been unable to balance them properly.
Maybe they are just too different to be racing in the same class.
Quote:
2. I think the ELMS GTC category dumbs down the GT3 cars like GTD in IMSA. Not as much though. Still all Ferraris there. When it comes to GT3 cars: I prefer SRO and PWC over GTD and GTC
The IMSA GT classes are far superior to the ELMS classes. (although it would be cool to have some Mclarens in the GTD class)
The awesome racing in the prototype class is what I am jealous of.
Quote:
3. OMG. The LMP1 cars are f'ing ugly!! The new Audi R18 disapoints me greatly. I think that car looked great from 2011-2013. The 2014 version looks just awful. The Porsche 919 looks more like last year's Audi so that is tolerable. But i bet some of you will gasp at what I'm about to say: The Corvette DP looks better than any of the LMP1 cars. (thats right I said it)
I guess looks are somewhat subjective.
Personally, I like the purposeful look of the new LMP1 cars. Every aspect of their design is there for a reason. The look of the car is a byproduct of what makes the car faster.
Quote:
I think at this point my sportscar fix will be IMSA and SRO with some PWC thrown in there.
I am also starting to really get into the SCCA World Challenge series.
They really have some awesome cars.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3395257)   #6614
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I like to see things from both sides but you may have to help me with this one, because I'm struggling.

To me, an OAK looks nothing like an ORECA. Even the roll hoops are totally different. The Zytek's triangular shapes adds something totally different to the three of them.

Maybe that's just because I've seen them race so much? I don't know. I've watched a few Grand-Am races in my time but they all look so similar to me, and the DPs certainly aren't more "diverse" from one another than the P2s...
Also, with many new P2 coupes in the near future, there will be even more diversity.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3395293)   #6615
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally like the new p1s,they still look like p1s!

I'm sure you would have a different perspective of the series if you were at long beach or going to laguna.pro only classes was nice and all and no fcy's was nice too but the racing for the lead got dull.and the leaders pretty much ran away, leaving battles further down the field.only two cars caused issues for the leaders the Mazda and shank car and that's it.there was only two or three times the dps ran into gt traffic or the p2s ran into gts.there was only once when esm and oak ran Into the gts going into the turn and it felt like multi class racing.

multi-class racing,that is the type of sports cars I became passionate about.the excitement the constant action between top and bottom class the fast closing speeds, the balks the moves, the passes and the desperate dive bombs to not lose ground that the alms had and grand am lacked due to only two classes is what I fell in love with.and at long beach it was all missing and rather dull,the paddock was also small and had a way to relaxed atmosphere with teams packing up hours before the race.it felt like grand am with GTE cars!

and I know laguna seca is going to feel the same with its schedule being identical to grand am events from previous years being on Sunday,stupid short race,and no time to walk around and enjoy the track on race day.also the conti race is longer than the pro tudor race,how sad is that?

I'm set to be there on Friday but they way things have gone I'm in no hurry and will be there some time Saturday.at this point not really looking forward to this race or the season if things stay the same or they chase away more teams........
Old 19 Apr 2014, 23:06 (Ref:3395295)   #6616
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am not impressed with certain aspects of the ELMS and WEC qualifying so far.
How can you not be impressed with 6 cars split by 0.5 seconds?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3395299)   #6617
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
How can you not be impressed with 6 cars split by 0.5 seconds?
For me it was never the qualifying times that turned me away from wec qualifying.it was the way qualifying is run and the whole average driver time thing that turned me away from wec qualifying.they way alms/tudor qualifying is ran isn't necessarily the best format but it is very exciting to watch with 15 minutes to set the best one and only time and a sense of urgency in the closing minutes same goes for f1 q3.wec qualifying has lacked that excitement in previous years,even though I have no idea when silverstone qualifying was and couldn't watch it because I haven't paid yet
Old 20 Apr 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3395310)   #6618
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
the way alms/tudor qualifying is ran isn't necessarily the best format but it is very exciting to watch with 15 minutes to set the best one and only time and a sense of urgency in the closing minutes
I always enjoyed watching the ALMS qualifying stream. The 15 minute format generally worked pretty good.
Unfortunately, in the "new IMSA", this same format provides yet another big advantage for the DP style cars.
Since the P2 cars are forced to run on the hard compound tire, designed for the heavier DP chassis, the short session does not allow enough time for the tires to reach optimal temp.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3395315)   #6619
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I always enjoyed watching the ALMS qualifying stream. The 15 minute format generally worked pretty good.
Unfortunately, in the "new IMSA", this same format provides yet another big advantage for the DP style cars.
Since the P2 cars are forced to run on the hard compound tire, designed for the heavier DP chassis, the short session does not allow enough time for the tires to reach optimal temp.
Yup,long beach P qualifying was no fun at all especially with the ford dps getting 1-2, but gtlm qualifying was great!
Old 20 Apr 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3395337)   #6620
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The average lap time for wec seems more 'endurance' oriented. Consistency from two drivers over 4 laps is almost a mini preview of whats to come.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 05:34 (Ref:3395340)   #6621
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I personally like the new p1s,they still look like p1s!

I'm sure you would have a different perspective of the series if you were at long beach or going to laguna.pro only classes was nice and all and no fcy's was nice too but the racing for the lead got dull.and the leaders pretty much ran away, leaving battles further down the field.only two cars caused issues for the leaders the Mazda and shank car and that's it.there was only two or three times the dps ran into gt traffic or the p2s ran into gts.there was only once when esm and oak ran Into the gts going into the turn and it felt like multi class racing.

multi-class racing,that is the type of sports cars I became passionate about.the excitement the constant action between top and bottom class the fast closing speeds, the balks the moves, the passes and the desperate dive bombs to not lose ground that the alms had and grand am lacked due to only two classes is what I fell in love with.and at long beach it was all missing and rather dull,the paddock was also small and had a way to relaxed atmosphere with teams packing up hours before the race.it felt like grand am with GTE cars!

and I know laguna seca is going to feel the same with its schedule being identical to grand am events from previous years being on Sunday,stupid short race,and no time to walk around and enjoy the track on race day.also the conti race is longer than the pro tudor race,how sad is that?

I'm set to be there on Friday but they way things have gone I'm in no hurry and will be there some time Saturday.at this point not really looking forward to this race or the season if things stay the same or they chase away more teams........
The Long Beach race had no lack of multi class racing. There were 3 classes there. LMP2, DP, and GTLM (forget the technicality, that is just the reality). As far as racing being dull goes. Well thats not always what sportscar racing is about. Sportscars should attractive enough so that you can enjoy seeing a car just circulate the track (under green conditions).
Old 20 Apr 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3396007)   #6622
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The average lap time for wec seems more 'endurance' oriented. Consistency from two drivers over 4 laps is almost a mini preview of whats to come.
This is what I've noticed after Silverstone, many people have led themselves to believe the WEC's poop doesnt stink. That thoroughly below average race they put on today was completely forgetable. Give me TUSC or give me death
Old 20 Apr 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3396018)   #6623
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
This is what I've noticed after Silverstone, many people have led themselves to believe the WEC's poop doesnt stink. That thoroughly below average race they put on today was completely forgetable. Give me TUSC or give me death
Below average? Compared to TUSC? Good joke.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3396023)   #6624
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Normally I use this when I chuckle just a bit...

But I'm literally in tears laughing at this...you have absolutely got to be kidding.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 21 Apr 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3396036)   #6625
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Each to his own. If some are so caught up in their own preferences that they must degrade everything else ... then so be it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this race. Regardless of what any other person says or thinks or posts here, whether sincere or trolling or a combination of both, I enjoyed the race.

I am sure there are old Rolex races online for those who find those races to be the pinnacle of automotive competition. I have my own memories and a few photos from some of those races--those suffice for me.

I guess some people post here to remind me how lucky I am to be able to enjoy races like the one we watched today.
Closed Thread