Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3399464)   #6776
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also takes away from strategizing, why short fill,or double/triple stint tires to gain an advantage or time?when now you can fuel and change tires at the same time and go out on fresh tires,no time gained or lost now.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 04:54 (Ref:3399491)   #6777
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a fan of the current pit stops, either. I wish they would return to mandatory engine shutdown, no work on the car during refueling, etc. Now there's no double-stinting tires, no drama when the car won't re-start, etc. It doesn't cost any money and it might make the P2s a bit more competitive.

Won't happen with the NASCAR mindset at the helm.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3399607)   #6778
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"If we are gonna get nuts on pitstops, then lets get nuts."

$$$$

I'd prefer something like ACO-style stops, maybe four guys, two guns, fuel and driver change only ... And I'd bet teams would rather pay for four guys as opposed to fourteen.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3399677)   #6779
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem comes when you consider the pit stops an element of the show rather than part of the racing and safety and the perception that US spectators (note - not fans) like the NASCAR style better. I'm actually surprised they haven't gone from hoses to cans.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3399680)   #6780
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everyone likes everything NASCAR better than everything else--NASCAR knows that.

There is no "part of the show" vs. "part of racing." There is the show; it is race-based.

Also, as wdave0 notes, there are no "race fans." There are "spectators," and NASCAR is certain that it can apply its formula to any sport and increase spectators. After all, it worked with both AMA and Rolex ...
Old 29 Apr 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3399685)   #6781
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worked for NASCAR too, that's why their millions of dollar track renovations strangely result in less seats!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3399689)   #6782
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MRN has a live sportcar show. At 1 pm eastern time today (tuesday 4/29). I don't beleive it is archived (not 100% on that). So I'd try to catch it at the time advertised.

http://www.mrn.com/MRN-Radio/Shows/S...r-Insider.aspx
Old 29 Apr 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3399704)   #6783
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't buy into the "less spectacle" argument leveled against a seperation of driver change + fuel and tire changes. since tires have to be changed after fuel, there's more pressure to be fast with the tires. The way it currently is, there is no spectacle at all because the whole pit stop lasts as long as the refueling. Besides, the strategies enabled with a split stop adds another layer to the race that the spectator can get behind.

I just don't see a downside here, except conti selling a few less tires. But seein how they actually had problems getting enough tires to the track in the big events, they might actually welcome this change as well.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3399710)   #6784
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
I don't buy into the "less spectacle" argument leveled against a seperation of driver change + fuel and tire changes. since tires have to be changed after fuel, there's more pressure to be fast with the tires. The way it currently is, there is no spectacle at all because the whole pit stop lasts as long as the refueling. Besides, the strategies enabled with a split stop adds another layer to the race that the spectator can get behind.

I just don't see a downside here, except conti selling a few less tires. But seein how they actually had problems getting enough tires to the track in the big events, they might actually welcome this change as well.

I agree and preferred the separation in ALMS but the new owners of the show think the GA, NASCAR, INDYCAR (murrican?) way is better. As I say, I'm waiting for dump cans to come and 'spice up' the show. With exhausts right under fuel fillers all the spillage would spectacular - especially at night!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3399731)   #6785
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIRE BAD! (Unless it's a pit stop.)
Old 29 Apr 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3399795)   #6786
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
I agree and preferred the separation in ALMS but the new owners of the show think the GA, NASCAR, INDYCAR (murrican?) way is better. As I say, I'm waiting for dump cans to come and 'spice up' the show. With exhausts right under fuel fillers all the spillage would spectacular - especially at night!
Hey! That would be COOL. How about mandated lit sparklers mounted on each car that have to be replaced and lit on each pit stop?
Old 29 Apr 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3399828)   #6787
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Hey! That would be COOL. How about mandated lit sparklers mounted on each car that have to be replaced and lit on each pit stop?
That's a good idea. I would really like to see metal fold up chairs in each pit box so crew man can hit an others teams crew man over the head with it. They could even sell sponsorship on the chairs.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3399844)   #6788
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
That's a good idea. I would really like to see metal fold up chairs in each pit box so crew man can hit an others teams crew man over the head with it. They could even sell sponsorship on the chairs.
Get Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair, etc as crew chiefs, add in some WWE Divas, get George Miller (Mad Max director) in Scott Elkins seat, and I probably wouldn't miss an event. It wouldn't be racing, but it would be a spectacle.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3399848)   #6789
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sure would, BROTHER!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3399851)   #6790
Maelochs
Veteran

We can joke all we want, but I'll bet WWE and its ilk as a whole outdraw NASCAR ratings, and I'd bet most Monster Trucks events sell more one-day tickets than any Tudor race ever will.

Only downside there is that wrasslin' disgusts me and Monster Trucks were old after the third time I saw one crush a car.

IndyCar is fighting to keep from going down the same slippeery slope, with more people saying that races shouldn't end under yellow. No one wants GWC, but it that's the only way ...

The management at PWC must be loving it. One by one America's top racing series bleed themselves to death or distort themselves into racing parodies, while PWC just gains fans.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3399869)   #6791
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monster trucks do not out draw nascar (TV or box office). I went to an event a couple months ago in an indoor arena and there were maybe 7 or 8000 people there. Granted there was more than 1 monster truck event happening at the same time around the country but the total would not have been more than 30,000.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3399877)   #6792
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tires... and more rumours on the horizon?

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup...with-michelin/

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 30 Apr 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3399883)   #6793
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Tires... and more rumours on the horizon?

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup...with-michelin/
Interesting, the sprint cup tire failures are curious, should be easy to get a spec tire right for very similar cars on the same tracks the series go to year after year. Will Michelin get the next Tudor contract? Perhaps, but can they out bid conti with all their other commitments?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3399884)   #6794
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How ticked would people be if TUSC went to a spec Michelin tire in every class but GTLM?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3399887)   #6795
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
As we've learned over the past year, "spec" is a special word. People only hate the Continental tires because they made one tire for everyone, and it's crap. If Michelin does the same, people won't like it. If Michelin makes different tires for different types of platforms, then we're good. If Michelin makes a spec tire and its awesome (like Pirelli and their PWC tire), then we're also good.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 04:47 (Ref:3399897)   #6796
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
As we've learned over the past year, "spec" is a special word. People only hate the Continental tires because they made one tire for everyone, and it's crap. If Michelin does the same, people won't like it. If Michelin makes different tires for different types of platforms, then we're good. If Michelin makes a spec tire and its awesome (like Pirelli and their PWC tire), then we're also good.
Michelin made a spec tire for LMPC, that wasn't very good.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3399919)   #6797
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nascar tire failures are due to the new suspension geometry regulations not to any change in the tires. Basically teams are now allowed to put amounts of camber in there, that along with the stupid-low air pressures they insist to run make sure that the tire walls are taxed a lot more than they were yesteryear. you could argue that GoodYear should develop new tires, but tires are expensive enough as they are, so imo its the team's responsibility not to overtax their equipment.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3399920)   #6798
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, but it is also a spec car, so everyone has the same package regardless - no advantage to be gained.

I think calling the spec Continentals 'crap' is a gross oversimplification of the issue. What they are, is tyres developed for a certain type of car over many years, and that car is a heavy, powerful one. I'm not blaming anyone with that, just wondering if the differences in reactions to the tyres/car specs are one thing that took them by surprise.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3399985)   #6799
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Michelin made a spec tire for LMPC, that wasn't very good.
Was it a compound/construction issue caused by Michelin alone? (No)

Or was it that the series forced them to build a tire harder than what was necessary? (Yes)

It's not any different than what we see now with Hoosier-nental

In general, an open formula is needed, a spec tire that doesn't work across all cars is generally just bad for the series.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Apr 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3399997)   #6800
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Calling the Conti tire "crap" is unfair. It is a safe, consistent and driveable tire on the car it was designed for. The series decided that part of the handicap for the P2s they feared would be to make them use the same tire rather than develop a Continental for them - there was never consideration of the showcase class of the series having non-Continental tires. Sure the Contis may be slower than bespoke Michelins but speed wasn't one of the design criteria.
Closed Thread