Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3441292)   #7776
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Just caught a glimpse of a new Red Bull-sponsored series, Global Rallycross, and it was short but, exciting. Small, 4-wheel drive Ford Fiesta-types with turbos and 600 HP go around a stadium course with asphalt, dirt, jumps and a road course in the middle.

It's a combination of rally, motocross, drifting and road racing. I like that the cars are the shape of my old 1992 Honda Civic VX, the car that a Lockheed aeronautical engineer said to me, "It has a perfect shape."

So, seeing these cars with that profile caught my attention today!
Old 4 Aug 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3441316)   #7777
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too much "excitement" not enough racing. I can't get into it. Nothing wrong with it ... nothing wrong with monster truck racing either, just isn't what I am looking for.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3441324)   #7778
Bicknell55
Rookie

United States
Lancaster, PA
Bicknell55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Too much "excitement" not enough racing. I can't get into it. Nothing wrong with it ... nothing wrong with monster truck racing either, just isn't what I am looking for.
A bit off topic but I have to chime in. I attended 2 rallyx events run by Rally America a few years ago along with the recent GRX event in DC. While the racing is exciting it is over quite quickly and there is a lot of down time in between to re-groom the dirt sections. TV helps greatly here as they can cut out a lot of the time when nothing is on track. I enjoyed my time at each event but I must admit I was quite bored at times, which isn't usually the case for someone who attends 60+ races each year.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3441336)   #7779
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it's like NHRA top fuel and funny car.theres some much down time I between rounds,and at a place like sonoma standing around bored doing nothing means you cook in the heat.but once they get going,oh boy it's an amazing 3-4 seconds that nothing else on this earth that can really compare to the shear noise,power,and speed those nitro burners creat.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3441418)   #7780
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I agree that it was fast and short. They also did a good job of editing highlights and following battles as mentioned. Just using it as an example of what attracts attention these days of short attention spans with many inputs vying for that limited attention.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3441430)   #7781
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting back on topic...

The DP will have no grandfathering. It's been given a stay of execution already, it's appeals are going to be dismissed. It's just time to end it.

The damage that's being done, week in and week out...well...that might be irreparable for some time..The faster the TUSC series moves toward true P2 cars the better they will be. Align with the rest of the world, don't' be stupid.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Aug 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3441438)   #7782
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on the car count and the economy.

I kind of wish the PCs were in there own support series. Like Nationwide, GP2, or Indy lights. Run them their own race with GT4 spec or GTS cars.

Conti series is good for teaching drivers how to drive GT cars but not Protos.

Then they can have regular ACO spec P2 take their place and have a super P2 based as the main protos, with there own bodies and 600hp. Could call them GTP for the sake of nostalgia.

2017 could look like this:

Main Tudor Series
GTP-based on P2 chassis
P2
GTLM-based on Gt3 advance
GTD-pure FIA spec GT3 spec

Support series
P3/PC
GTS

Continental Tire Sport cars challenge
No change. Still GS and ST.

Could this happen. Meh, I don't know. Would be better then what we have for sure.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3441497)   #7783
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Depends on the car count and the economy.

I kind of wish the PCs were in there own support series. Like Nationwide, GP2, or Indy lights. Run them their own race with GT4 spec or GTS cars.

Conti series is good for teaching drivers how to drive GT cars but not Protos.

Then they can have regular ACO spec P2 take their place and have a super P2 based as the main protos, with there own bodies and 600hp. Could call them GTP for the sake of nostalgia.

2017 could look like this:

Main Tudor Series
GTP-based on P2 chassis
P2
GTLM-based on Gt3 advance
GTD-pure FIA spec GT3 spec

Support series
P3/PC
GTS

Continental Tire Sport cars challenge
No change. Still GS and ST.

Could this happen. Meh, I don't know. Would be better then what we have for sure.
I'd support this, though I suspect that the ACO still hasn't given up on their P1-L dream yet, which would probably stop any P2+ idea from being widely aCcepted.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 01:21 (Ref:3441512)   #7784
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
P1-L should be the top class in 2017.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 02:10 (Ref:3441519)   #7785
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only way that's likely to happen is by proxy--LMP1 and LMP2 after 2016 will share crash standards, which that's already happening by proxy, since it's cheaper to certify a car for LMP1 crash standards since that automatically implies that it'll meet or exceed LMP2 requirements.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 02:13 (Ref:3441521)   #7786
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well, P1 in general of just the NAEC in my opinion.
I would just combine the hybrid and light class in one category.

Like to see a garage 56 class too.

DeltaWing vs ZEOD. Who will last longer?
Old 5 Aug 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3441592)   #7787
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Absolutely. I seriously miss the days of 3 cars in the top class.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3441621)   #7788
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Absolutely. I seriously miss the days of 3 cars in the top class.
I miss the days of having spectacular prototypes racing in the top class, even if there were only three.

Quality wins over Quantity every time for me.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3441623)   #7789
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
AGREE!
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3441626)   #7790
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We might want to consider the economics of the situation.

We lost ALMS despite it having real P1 cars. Losing TUSC wouldn't be as catastrophic, but it wouldn't be a good thing---I'd rather see the series get it right than go broke, leaving fans with possibly something worse--or nothing.

Quality does Not always trump quantity. Would you prefer a daily ration of one tiny but delectable amuse-bouche which could fit in a tablespoon or several bowels of rice and beans? Starvation versus a bland diet?

I love the idea--if and only if at least half a dozen well-funded teams buy a P1L chassis and enter it. I would really love to see it---if there were enough cars opn the grid to actually make a class.

If there were half a dozen teams wanting to run P1L, I'd say do it, but three cars would only be stealing TV time from the P-class, meaning more of those teams wouldfn't be able to afford to race. The we would be back with the ALMS sort of situation, with Muscle Milk driving around a lone, the main Dyson car in the pits, and the Dyson rent-a-car somewhere back among the PC cars.

Shrinking fields, no real competition in the top class, generally insufficient funds ... I thought the idea was to take the good, not the bad, from ALMS as we moved forward?
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3441628)   #7791
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Also, P1L seems to have less manufacturer involvement than P2, seeing how it is a class aimed at independent constructors and all of that. But the top-class of TUSC needs recognizable names, so I'd rather go for P2+ (say with DP-engines*) than for P1L.

*and I think that might be the story behin Starworks' HPD-program
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3441631)   #7792
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Also, P1L seems to have less manufacturer involvement than P2, seeing how it is a class aimed at independent constructors and all of that. But the top-class of TUSC needs recognizable names, so I'd rather go for P2+ (say with DP-engines*) than for P1L.

You think the 3.5 engine will find its way into the new HPD P2 chassis in the future? That hasn't been mentioned as of yet in the press releases, but if imsa is thinking about the future having a bit more power available to the top class wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3441633)   #7793
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't have any inside info,but it would make a ton of sense to have the DP-engines in the 2017-cars... would make it easy to keep Ford and Chevy in the fold and ease tensions with the remaining GA-loyalists. And the increased power-output would of course also be a good thing.

Could put Mazda in a world of pain, though. I guess they'll have to break out the rotary again.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3441637)   #7794
Rcz
Veteran

United States
That's why I say in addition to P2+, there also there should be a pure p2. Or lower the weight for diseals.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3441646)   #7795
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't have any inside info,but it would make a ton of sense to have the DP-engines in the 2017-cars... would make it easy to keep Ford and Chevy in the fold and ease tensions with the remaining GA-loyalists. And the increased power-output would of course also be a good thing.

Could put Mazda in a world of pain, though. I guess they'll have to break out the rotary again.
I wonder if Chevy would want to put a turbo engine in a prototype by 2017 since ford, Honda, and Mazda will all have turbos.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3441663)   #7796
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I wonder if Chevy would want to put a turbo engine in a prototype by 2017 since ford, Honda, and Mazda will all have turbos.
Why is there a need for Chevy to go with a Turbo V-6? That, to this point, does not reflect their 'performance' line-up of cars. We know that a sb Chevy will fit just fine in an LMP chassis.

L.P.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3441664)   #7797
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The only turbo engines Chevy has are small displacement 4 cylinders, not counting the IndyCar V6 which isn't production based. Cadillac has a 3.6 V6 turbo, but I'm not sure they would go with a Cadillac engine program versus Ford and Honda.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3441665)   #7798
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I could not agree more!

L.P.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3441667)   #7799
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
First thought was this:

Then a few more for light-hearted good measure:

Old 5 Aug 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3441734)   #7800
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It wouldnt be hard for P1-L to be the top class since the new P2's are nearly the same. That way teams can run engines that arent just production based. Like the wec p1-L's, 800kg would go a long way to making them quicker in acceleration and faster than the other classes on the straights. Rebellion has said they can get their R-1 down to 775kg if the rule makers ever decide to lighten them further. That should not be an issue for 'p2+' cars as you guys are saying.
Closed Thread