Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3087113)   #3526
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
750kg? It could race in the 1930s GP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
ok f1 have less weight but consider that spa pole lmp1 was not so distant from the time of the last(slowest) F1 car
It is irrelevant, but the LMP car is some way off current F1. That wasn't my point - I don't troll forums bashing race series I'm not interested in. My reference was to 1930s GP racing battles between Auto Union and Mercedes-Benz. There was a maximum 750kg weight limit then and the value reminded me of this. It is a mildly interesting distraction to think that these cars could, in theory, race in that. Throw in the Audi connection and it just made me think of it. And they would destroy the laptime at Spa!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3087125)   #3527
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
no, it makes a terrible noise, the worst sounding of all GT cars.
really? I think it sounds the best of all the GT cars..
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3087149)   #3528
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Interesting comments from Christopher Reinke in the latest RCE edition:
Quote:
We had to make the car much lighter weight than the previous car because of the weight of the hybrid system, with a big saving coming at the rear with a carbon fibre gearbox casing. The weight distribution is right though, and that's why we went for a front axle-drive philosophy. Where we have put the motor at the front is exactly where we put the ballast anyway on the non-hybrid car. We are even using the same mounting points for the ballast as we do with the electric motor.
source: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=10
Quote:
We looked at the front tyres and we assume that tyre life will be shorter than on the non-hybrid car, but not everything has been calculated yet. Both Ultra (2WD) and Quattro (4WD) run the same tyres all round. To be honest, we do not really know what the results will be yet.
source: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=12
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3087188)   #3529
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The article also explains how Audi reduced the weight of the R18 during the winter. The 2011 R18 weighed 850 kg and the 2012 R18 ultra only 750 kg! 30 kg was saved with the carbon gearbox casing, 15 kg on the engine, turbo and cooling, and 40 kg on the chassis, bodywork and suspension. The hybrid system weighs less than 100 kg.

So in the e-tron quattro they still have around 50 kg of ballast, whereas in the ultra they can position 140 kg of ballast!
The article in the latest RCE edition gives slightly different numbers for the weight saving than the AMS article: 85 kg in total, including 30 kg from the turbocharger, 10 kg from the bodywork, another big chunk by the carbon gearbox casing, and a bit in the all-new monocoque which is also stiffer than last year. Personally I find this 30 kg in the turbocharger hard to believe...

Another interesting comment by Ralf Jüttner regarding both R18 versions:
Quote:
Consumption of the Ultra cars was higher than I expected from the values I saw on the telemetry, but then in the Quattro you have guys like Tom, who is our master fuel conversing anyway. With the Ultra you can place ballast much better, so it is purely old fashioned motorsport - center of gravity and better weight distribution.
source: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=16
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3087191)   #3530
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasn't 904kg heavy the e-tron during spa event?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3087317)   #3531
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
A new promotional video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FyQQmKKxsM
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3087323)   #3532
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Haha @ 1:00 - where does that sound come from? Certainly not from the R18.

That shows the downside of diesel in marketing sense.

Ask Peugeot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgU7A0BFR2M
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3087357)   #3533
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Paul also had a look at the timing data. He concludes that Audi can do longer and faster stints than last year.
Quote:
However, looking at the times from the Le Mans test day, it looks to me that the Audi R18 e-tron ultra can go further on less fuel than last year's Audi R18. What's more, it is doing faster average lap times as well. I reckon it was managing 12 laps on a tankful!
source: http://trussers.blogspot.com/2012/06...less-fuel.html
Paul has written a longer analysis for DSC subscribers: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...F985A1BD5DEB2D

Can anyone summarize his findings?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3087363)   #3534
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Paul has written a longer analysis for DSC subscribers: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...F985A1BD5DEB2D

Can anyone summarize his findings?
One of the Audi stints during the test day saw an average lap time of 3:31.5 with a fastest laptime of 3:27 on a track that still had moisture on it; short summary of the Audi-related part - the 2012 cars are a significant step forward, and Trussers' pole prediction is a 3:22. Toyota are slower than Audi but not "embarrassingly slower", and the other petrol runners are round about where they were last year (both on pace and on fuel consumption).
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3087364)   #3535
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Cool. I also calculated that Lotterer did stint in the afternoon with an average lap time of 3:31.5. See http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...58#post3085558
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3087407)   #3536
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what Audi still needs to control is the "visible smoke", I got a shot of the Ultra departing from the LM pit lane for his very first lap, and there is lots of blue stuff coming from the exhausts.

Last edited by henk4; 8 Jun 2012 at 10:33. Reason: spelling
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3087419)   #3537
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
what Audi still needs to control is the "visible smoke", I got a shot of the Ultra departing from the LM pit lane for his very first lap, and there is lots of blue stuff coming from the exhausts.
Why Audi needs to control it since ACO keeps ignoring the rule?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3087423)   #3538
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pugs were smoking too, but not as heavy as the R18 does.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3087426)   #3539
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
The Pugs were smoking too, but not as heavy as the R18 does.
The old 908 was the heavier smoker in 2010 actually, with the side-exit exhausts it was clearly visible on the rear tires, after a stint and a half you couldn't see the markings on the rear tires because of the diesel soot; the roles were reversed last year.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3087437)   #3540
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
no, it makes a terrible noise, the worst sounding of all GT cars.
... and the best?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3087439)   #3541
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Qualifying in F1 last year was in wet conditions Only Q3 was sort of dry. See http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/8/12451.html

The F1 pole was 1:48.298 (Vettel) and the fastest race lap 1:49.883 (Webber).

That is still a lot quicker than the LMP1 pole of McNish (2:01.579).
I remember in january I did some data comparison and the slowest f1 car was 6-8 faster than lmp1 pole (I don't remember if 2011 1000km vs 2010 spa f1)
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3087448)   #3542
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
... and the best?
The Vette does have the best sound.. But wrong thread I think.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3087451)   #3543
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
The Vette does have the best sound.. But wrong thread I think.
I think its better to just conclude that all cars have the best sound. I've realized that some people take to the low rumble of the Vette and others like me hate the sound of the vette. Thenres theres guys like me who love the higher pitched whailing of the Ferrari, BMW and others who hate that kind of sound. We'll never agree haha. So prehaps they all sound good. Were just tuned biologically to like different sounds!
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3087464)   #3544
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Why Audi needs to control it since ACO keeps ignoring the rule?
with Peugeot gone, a protest from other competitors may not be so easily ignored.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3087477)   #3545
Articus
Veteran

Quote:

oh man that is god awful...horrific sounds...

But this isnt only Peugeot/Audi...Acura's ARX-02a had one commercial where it left the pits at Sebring an this thing sounded like a Nascar!!

Ont sure what was wrong with the actually engine note...
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3087485)   #3546
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:

you mean the virtual silence? That's a benefit to my ears at least...fortunately we have to wear helmets in the pitlane now, so the noise is not so deafening anymore
Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3087516)   #3547
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
you mean the virtual silence? That's a benefit to my ears at least...fortunately we have to wear helmets in the pitlane now, so the noise is not so deafening anymore
That misses my point... "in marketing sense".

You also see this in many highlights videos etc. made by ACO for example. Audi or Peugeot flies by, but sound is from another car.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3087542)   #3548
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
That misses my point... "in marketing sense".

You also see this in many highlights videos etc. made by ACO for example. Audi or Peugeot flies by, but sound is from another car.
diesel in a marketing sense means suppressing the impression that it is loud and sounds like a tractor. If you produce a zffff noise when the racecar passes by, it does not sound like a tractor (and yes, I drive a diesel as my daily transport, and I like it to be quiet; you may have actually had a ride in it, IIRC).
Old 8 Jun 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3087552)   #3549
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
diesel in a marketing sense means suppressing the impression that it is loud and sounds like a tractor.If you produce a zffff noise when the racecar passes by, it does not sound like a tractor
But when they want to make the typical racecar wow effect with loud noise, they can't and then they have to use big block V8 sound like in this video in question. It is hilarious.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3087554)   #3550
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
But when they want to make the typical racecar wow effect with loud noise, they can't and then they have to use big block V8 sound like in this video in question. It is hilarious.
motor racing is hilarious and not to be taken seriously at all...