Rookie

georges1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heared Spain and Argentina are in now and india, russia and portugal out
Old 15 Jun 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1635008)   #102
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 3.5 hour gap is quite interesting, but I really dont that TV companies are going to fill that with support races. I think it's much more likely we'll get the sprint race shown delayed, just before the feature. I really can't see the likes of Sky Sports clearing a whole afternoon unless the support package is very impressive, but time will tell i guess.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1635536)   #103
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With that much of a gap, Sky Sports could easily fit in some analysis of the first race, cut away for another 2 hour programme before coming back with plenty of time for an intro, brief summary of the sprint race and build up to the main event.

At times last season they were floundering around trying to find something to fill between the races, so a larger gap to enable separate programmes would I imagine be a thumbs up from Sky Sports
Old 17 Jun 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1636157)   #104
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should not be hard to get support programs for fans at the track. bummer that the sprint race is not likely to be televised live though.

I have heard that there is likely to be an Indian team but with a different franchise holder (getting my info third hand though). Spain has always been planned, they were just a bit too late getting it together for last season but there was speculation even before Brands last year.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1637107)   #105
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Should not be hard to get support programs for fans at the track. bummer that the sprint race is not likely to be televised live though.
Hang on a second - I don't think anyone other than me has actually said that. In fact if I'm not mistaken I was reading somewhere this weekend that Sky had decided they will show both races live - could be with a programme in between or with support races, but apparently live.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1638847)   #106
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to admit I am disappointed they haven't got themselves well and truly sorted b4 this coming season. I have very close links to the hierarchy, and they're sadly still sorting parts of their Management structure. The first race is 3 months away, but I would love to see them announce a calendar and really have a package ready to roll. The season ended strongly, but it seems that they haven't known how to promote themselves during the off-season...
Old 26 Jun 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1641562)   #107
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong demoed the A1 Malaysia car in Sepang at the weekend, and A1GP's press release about it confirms the Malaysian A1GP round will be on 26 November.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1648620)   #108
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.a1gp.com/news/index.php?f...d=1&newsid=326

Provisional calendar for next season...finally...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1648712)   #109
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it a little surprising that so close to the season starting their calendar still isn't fully confirmed, but at least the first 8 races look air tight.

It looks like A1GP has beaten the competition to Beijing as well, whatever happened to their F1 and Champ Car proposals?
Old 5 Jul 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1648766)   #110
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
I can understand the American date being unconfirmed. I can quite imagine that the open-wheeler community in the States dont really know for certain what series will be running next season let alone knowing what the calendars are like.

Everything looks pretty much on track as far as I can see.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1648817)   #111
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
It looks like A1GP has beaten the competition to Beijing as well, whatever happened to their F1 and Champ Car proposals?
Is Beijing going to be a street circuit or was the Comp-speed circuit actually built?
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1649035)   #112
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Is Beijing going to be a street circuit or was the Comp-speed circuit actually built?
There is some sort of Permanent circuit near Bejing. Had 20,000 spectators for Asian F3 recently-free tickets aparently!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1649136)   #113
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
There is some sort of Permanent circuit near Bejing. Had 20,000 spectators for Asian F3 recently-free tickets aparently!
The Asian F3s raced at Zhuhai. I think I'm right in saying that Zhuhai is actually on the mainland not that far from Hong Kong.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 5 Jul 2006 at 21:12.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1649191)   #114
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Further investigation, Goldenport Motor Park which is close to Beijing Airport holds International F3 races so this could be a contender.

http://www.goldenport.com.cn/old/eng...s/pic11111.jpg
Old 5 Jul 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1649259)   #115
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The one negative to all this is the reports of moving to softer tyres so that the pit stips make more of a difference. I wish they'd do the opposite. The exciting thing about last season was real racing - bunches of cars swapping places - but all too often the pit stops ruined it and were often problematical, or safety car interventions ruined someone's perfectly good race.

Please, stick with the current tyres and cut the pit stops altogether, which will improve the spectacle no end.

I must make sure I get to a round this time, I really felt like I'd missed out on something last year.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 00:23 (Ref:1649288)   #116
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi dude
the latest is yes its been on the TV. here that A1 gp is comimg Feb next year. also we are getting moto gp as well. the track looks awesome now. no dust. just grass. so yeah mate its commin.
Woah woah woah, ease up there. MotoGP will never come to Taupo, the circuit is too small, too narrow and Taupo simply doesn't have the infrastructure to hold a MotoGP round. Second, which round are they gonna drop to allow it to be held? Third, NZ won't allow cigarette advertising, plenty of other countries vying for a MotoGP round do.
The A1GP round is only a tentative on the calendar and is a long way from being confirmed, if at all.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 02:01 (Ref:1649314)   #117
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo now nearlly confirmed. 2 dates in China is interesting though. Not too sure I agree with it. A Japanese round might be a better alternative & there are much better circuits that can be used than any of China's tracks apart from Shanghai. Suzuka, Sugo, Motegi, even Fuji would all be better than somewhere like Goldenport Park.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 6 Jul 2006, 02:26 (Ref:1649325)   #118
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Taupo now nearlly confirmed.
How nearly?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 04:15 (Ref:1649342)   #119
Steve Beale
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton New Zealand
Steve Beale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just heard on the radio news that Steven Kennedy of Motorsport NZ has stated that the A1GP round will not happen this season.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 04:43 (Ref:1649353)   #120
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Beale
I have just heard on the radio news that Steven Kennedy of Motorsport NZ has stated that the A1GP round will not happen this season.
For definite? Which station?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1649356)   #121
Steve Beale
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton New Zealand
Steve Beale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radio Sport 4pm sports news.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1649503)   #122
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todays Autosport report says street race in Bejing.Also possibility of street race in Acapulco,Mexico.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1649664)   #123
Mr. Tom
Rookie

Mr. Tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was fortunate enough to attend the opening round at Brands Hatch last season, and this time round I will be planning on going to the final round, also at Brands.

Also I believe the season will be shown on terrestrial TV this time, so I will be able to follow the season more closely.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1649684)   #124
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Beijing round will not be at Goldenport. There is no way that place would be able to handle it. The pits and paddock are big enough but there are no covered grandstands and you would be lucky to squeeze 2,000 people into the uncovered seating that has been built. 20,000 was claimed for last year's Formula BMW Asia round there, but I think that was way over exaggerated (I was there - there were a lot of standing spectators but not that many).

If they do pull of a street circuit in Beijing it would be HUGE. Think a potential crowd of 100,000 - I am not joking. Shanghai has F1 and A1 is viewed here as being inferior, but Beijing has not had any top level motorsport. It makes sense for the Beijing government to use A1 as a dress rehersal for the Olympics, which I guess is why they are doing it.

As for Taupo, my understanding is that there is a couple of million of government funds available if they can get an international event within the next twelve months, and that all that was waiting was confirmation of an event. So why would it now not go ahead?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1649899)   #125
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
As for Taupo, my understanding is that there is a couple of million of government funds available if they can get an international event within the next twelve months, and that all that was waiting was confirmation of an event. So why would it now not go ahead?
Well, your understanding of the situation probably comes from the media. The media are fed their information through a series of press releases from the circuit owners. The circuit owners are desperately trying to find the funding and so embelish their press releases slightly which in turn gives the understanding that it will all happen if they can just get the money.