Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Jan 2006, 03:15 (Ref:1510578)   #1
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Panther

I remember seeing a web site advertising an auction that looked like Panther were selling up lock, stock and barell. Is that true? Or were they purging of unwanted gear....? It did look like the whole business though..
Any ideas?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1510621)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The article in Autosport a couple of weeks ago suggested the team was hopeful of continuing, but were cautious enough to say that their engine supplier had left them (meaning no more free engines) and their primary sponsor had gone too (Pennzoil...) they required a significant budget to move forward.

Wouldnt be a surprise if all the 'extras' were put up for sale
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Jan 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1510784)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The intention was to keep enough equipment to run a 1-car team with spare next year, but even that is dependent on a pay-driver being found.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1510974)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You'll find more info in this thread.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1511794)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The auction is Here

What an immaculate race shop... a real credit to the team.. a place for everything and everything it its place.. all the equipmengt with a Panther logo or indeed in the yellow colour of Pennzoil

Whoever buys it will be buying something well looked after quite obviously.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1511910)   #6
jethro10
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lake District
jethro10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The auction is Here
Starting to look sorta final.

J
Old 2 Feb 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1514117)   #7
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
although, Panthers website has a forum where the boss said it was basically a purge of unwanted stuff
Old 2 Feb 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1514186)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats an awful lot of unwanted stuff.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1514303)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember, they had enough equipment to run three cars at Indy last May (Scheckter, Enge and Lazier)

Selling off four of six competition-ready Dallaras still gives them two chassis to race this season...

and why keep the extra transporter, tons of spare parts able to service two teams and possibly three, pit box and fueling gear, etc., when you can take that money to possibly operate to buy time in order to secure a sponsor to fund you long-term???

at leaast that is the way I understand their approach on this from public statements they have made on this issue.

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of it.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Feb 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1514339)   #10
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of that stuff is pretty cool, like the nomex and the fire suits. I think I'm gonna pick up one of those Golf Carts or the Kawasaki 4 wheeler.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1514359)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are you coming down for the Auction, or do they have some sort of "On-Line" option to bid???

Old 2 Feb 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1514473)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Are you coming down for the Auction, or do they have some sort of "On-Line" option to bid???
They have online bids. So hopefully I can manage to waste some mone on things i really dont need. Although if I didnt have an exam on monday I would take a road trip to Indy, with the sole intent of buying stuff I'll never really use or need.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1514702)   #13
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
to bid... you need money...I would love to bid (and win) a 5 or 7 axis nc mill
Old 3 Feb 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1514914)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the auction goes the way it's anticipated, how logn would they be able to run a car without sponsorship for? Would the main driver need to bring sponsorship or funding? Would a second entry at Indy using the back-up car once the main driver has qualified it be an option?
Old 3 Feb 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1514925)   #15
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the new Honda Engine leases running a full season could be done for between $1.5 and $2 million and Indy could be run for $250000. I think its fair to expect they will raise over a million as each of those transporters will probably go in the $300000-$500000 range and the race-ready cars in the $150000 range, assuming they don't have any outside debt to service.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1515255)   #16
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
I had no idea that it was that expensive. No wonder you wouldnt want to keep stuff you dont need when its worth that much
Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1515347)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If you look at racecarsdirect on line, transporters that size used don't cost nearly as much as you have quoted, drdisque...

But I would imagine that the big ticket items like those mentioned certainly will have a reserve listed for them that must be met for the items to sell..

If I didn't have meetings and interviews to handle at work on Monday and Tuesday, I would be interested in just standing outside the door to see who walks in to bid on this stuff...

My guess is that Pat Patrick, maybe the Byrd family (sons), and any principals from the alleged Yellow Ribbon Racing will be there, for starters...

or maybe someone else who would be interested in an Indy-only run and wants to pick up some gear on the cheap for May...

Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1515364)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A trailer like those in the ad costs around A$320k brand new locally in Australia... second hand, and where they would be mass produced to some extent, they would be lucky to be worth half that....

The prime movers are on the tick, so presumably they wont sell unless the lease payout is less than the knock down price...

The equipment in the workshop is not brand new but is in good condition.. if all of that goes at market prices, it should fetch over US$1m without even looking at the chassis..

4 chassis which I presume remain current spec in 2006 (or perhaps there is an update kit for it) should be worth US$200k+ each... including the $US$25k Pi Sigma systems in each car...

Depends if this ends up as a fire sale, a collectors auction, or a genuine clearance at appropriate pricing.... or indeed picked up as a job lot by one of the ChampCar mob

What surprised me a little was the types of equipment in the workshop that were common to the Mo Nunn Racing auction by the same Key Liquidations people... so none of the stuff is out of the ordinary... and presumably if you took the shop in one line, the team could operate as it was...

Still very sad to see a team end up this way... but it does show the good condition of their assets... as a credit to the squad...
Old 5 Feb 2006, 04:43 (Ref:1515773)   #19
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the prices I quoted were with the tractors, I didn't notice if they were selling the tractors with them or not.

The value of the chassis might suffer because nobody knows if they'll be legal for '07 (although most people suspect they will)
Old 5 Feb 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1515971)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Barnhart has indicated that he chassis rules will not change for 2007...he did so about two weeks ago in an interview with Curt Cavin at the Indy Star...

Old 6 Feb 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1516855)   #21
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might see Enge in a one car effort from Panther. The negotiations have taken a serious turn from what I've been told. Hemmelgarn is also close to a one car team with an American driver.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1516870)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Did you stop by the auction today, Team Owner???

See any "Familiar" faces???

If you don't want to sahre that publicly, I'd be curious to know privately....

Old 8 Feb 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1518071)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I was too busy on Monday to follow the auction on-line, but I did yesterday afternoon for a little bit.

A few notes:

1. From the list that I read on Monday's items, it seemed as though I read that only two Dallaras were listed (2005 specs) instead of four, but I could be wrong about that....and since I did not get to follow the auction on-line, I did not get to see whether or not they were sold or how much they were purchased for by anyone.

2. Some items sold for very little....they had 4 Chevy engines and two more that were built by Speedway Engines for sale yesterday...the first Chevy engine went for $6,000, and after a top bid of only $4,000 was submitted for the 2nd in line, all others were pulled except for two Aurora "Dummy" engines, which sold for $450 each....

3. Some of the equipment yesterday afternoon was bought by an on-line buyer with an interesting screen name..."foytrules"

I wonder how much gear they actually sold, and what the total take was for Panther...

Old 8 Feb 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1518084)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ANy hint from Team Owner would be very interesting: can you bring in some more info concerning other teams?

Cheever for instance....
Old 8 Feb 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1518106)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a crazy low price for those engines, but I guess it's also a matter of demand.