Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3105628)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Seeking help in finding an article on F1.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I am hoping that someone can help me.

A number of years ago (between 1980 & 1995) I read an article in Road & Track (I think). I cannot recall the author. I want to say it was Innes Ireland, but it is possible it was Rob Walker. The article related a trip that individual took to various tracks used in F1 in the 1950's and early 1960's. Most of which were no longer active.

I remember one of the lines in the article. the author talks about a race (I believe in France) where a friend had been killed in an incident. The friend was buried nearby and he visited the grave only to find fresh flowers on it. The author wrote something along the lines of: "After all this time, who has so much love left?" regarding the flowers. The entire piece was for me a very powerful reminiscence of a bygone time in which the author had been a participant.

Unfortunately I did not keep the magazine or note the author. I have searched online through much of Mr Ireland's work, to no avail. What I am hoping for here is that someone may also recall the article and point me in the right direction so that I might be able to source a reprint of it. And no, I am not completely sure that it was Road & Track, but it was just the sort of thing they might run.

I am sorry if this is the wrong fora, but I am hoping that those interested in the history of the sport might be able to provide some insight for my search.

Thank you in advance for your help!

JohnSSC

Last edited by JohnSSC; 12 Jul 2012 at 14:56. Reason: clarity
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.