Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:627354)   #51
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SPARK Msport
I hate to say this but the day smoking advertising is gone from motorsport (F1) the better!
From a health standpoint, banning tobacco advertising is a good and noble idea. From a motorsport perspective, the banning of tobacco hurts every series that has or will enact such a legislation.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 21:09 (Ref:627576)   #52
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL i`m sure i seen Tom Bordman having a fag round the back of the Toca Buss while i was in there eating my dinner at Donnington last year ..
Old 11 Jun 2003, 21:29 (Ref:628929)   #53
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the BTCC a good driver is a good driver, the affects of Smoking will not cause any harm to results.

F1 is another story!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 01:01 (Ref:629047)   #54
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, Reido. Biela won many races and the title in 1996 and still smokes.

F1 is certainly a different story!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 05:21 (Ref:629114)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont suppose we want to talk about Tomas Enge's experience with smoking.....

In Australia, when the tobacco sponsorship was deemed illegal in 1996, the 2 main V8 Supercar teams sponsored by Philip Morris and Wills both struggled to find the dollars to continue.

Indeed one was close to death (Gibson Motorsport) and needed pay drivers and a contract preparation arrangement to keep alive until a new parent for the business was found.

The other one (Glenn Seton Racing) struggled to find non-manufacturer support, and in the end gave up and sold out to prodrive at the end of 2002.

What tended to happen was that as the publication of the race teams was restricted by local laws, these teams didnt market themselves with the fans because they werent allowed to.... so when time came to getting commercial sponsors who dont make carcinogens, they had no experience in this area.

Immaculate cars, paid for the education of a lot of good people in the sport. Sad it all went west....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:18 (Ref:629304)   #56
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to chip in about drivers smoking, I remember seeing former NASCAR Winston Cup driver Dick Trickle light up a cigarette while running under caution during a Busch Series race at Dover or Bristol in '99 (not too sure about the year though). Looked pretty funny, in an odd kind of way.

Personally I don't care either way if someone smokes. I don't smoke myself and that's the choice I've made.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:42 (Ref:629324)   #57
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just something on tobacco advertising. i dont see a need to ban it (this is a bit a level media so sorry) People make the decision to smoke and i'm sure they aren't influenced by ferrari because they have a ciggarette sponsor. However it is a persons decision and some teams like mentioned in the above post lose sponsorship when tobacco advertising is banned. Its only the more vunreable members of society that are going to start smoking because there favourite team is covered in a ciggy brand.
I smoke as do some of my friends but it has nothing to do with advertising.
As for drivers smoking, who cares their choice who are we to say that they shouldn't. Why are some people surprised that people can still race well even though they smoke. Get real.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 12:48 (Ref:629378)   #58
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whereas I dont smoke I wholeheartedly agree that tobacco advertising DOESN'T cause people to actually start smoking. Far more likely are pictures of popstars and movie stars looking cool with a ciggy on their lips..but last time I checked it wasnt illegal to smoke.
When the EU brought forward their tobacco advertising ban by a year recently I ended up having a very nasty email exchange with my local MEP who basically told me I was stupid and that I was a pleb...I did complain to his party leader but was told he couldnt get involved in matters like this but thats another story
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:48 (Ref:630355)   #59
Cato
Rookie

Cato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing worth smoking in this world are your tyres...
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:54 (Ref:630363)   #60
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ooooh I'm not sure...I think the odd salmon and ham are well worth smoking
Old 13 Jun 2003, 11:19 (Ref:630430)   #61
maplex
Rookie

maplex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Jo Winkelhock called "Smokin' Jo Winkelhock" because he smoked or because he was quick off the line?
Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:42 (Ref:633028)   #62
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparantly Mika Hakkinen smokes now he's retired from F1, that was a bit of a shock. In F1 terms nobody would dare these days though.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:46 (Ref:633031)   #63
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Michael Schumacher does ocassionally...he got all sorts of s**t in the German media recently
Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:49 (Ref:633035)   #64
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That surprises me......
Old 18 Jun 2003, 11:22 (Ref:635392)   #65
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
According to last week's Autosport, Frank Biela favours Marly reds. I do love the idea of lighting up while running under caution!

For myself, I don't smoke, but learning that, say, Frank Biela does didn't make me any less of a fan. Should tobacco advertising be banned? As long as smoking is legal, I think not; it seems illogical to ban the advertising but not the product itself. Make up your mind. And, as far as the effect on non-smokers goes, I think the tobacco comnpanies' line is actually valid; sponsorship of motor racing influences the brand choice of existing smokers, but probably doesn't encourage non-smokers, even young ones, to start.