Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1415422)   #1
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV qualifying lacked drama.

Or at least, that's what I thought.

The lack of constant onscreen times, and by the way Ben Edwards was talking a lack of quick updates to the timing screen itself aswell, diluted what should have been an exciting session.

I watched the entire session and aside from the commentators talking about a handful of cars at the front there wasn't any real way to keep track of the entire field. It didn't help matters that it wasn't clear if the car on screen was on a flying lap or not half of the time.

I know it's the first race and I expect the coverage will have improved in leaps and bounds by race 2 but was anyone else left slightly dissappointed? Afterall, watching the cars lap with no data at all is fairly meaningless.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1415429)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I agree. The actual session was fantastic, especially on-boards from Piquet on hot laps, but the Sky bimbos were rubbish. It would have been better to have had Keith Huewen as anchorman. Ben would have been okay, but I don't think he was getting info at the usal MST level. Wasn't that impressed with John Watson either.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1415434)   #3
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They really need on screen timing like they do for MotoGP, for example ... was quite a frustrating experience
Old 24 Sep 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1415458)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite agree - the two things they need to sort out are the timing and also the onboard shots. I think I counted about 5 camera's on some cars - and they don't provide a continous feed!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1415464)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Yes screen timing is much better.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1415481)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My obervations were
1: Cars need country name on rear wing as some of them are very hard to identifiy
2: The bimbo in the pits area was a rank amature
3: Keith Huewen was good
3: John Watson and Ben Edwards were pretty good
4: Girl in charge was pretty good(mind you i could forgive her anything !! as she is a bit of a doll)
5: Andy P (cant spell his name) was very average and lost the plot on a number of occasions
6:Timing to slow comming back.
7:Need on screen timing of all laps in a table format (session 1,2,3,4 plus aggregate)
8:Commentry team need better information regarding who is on what lap.

Overall though i enjoyed it and it will get better. Not as slick as ITV yet though.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1415486)   #7
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quartermiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep...terrible coverage by Sky. It was obvious the production team had no idea what was happening on the track and where the relevant action was.

The banal questions put by Sophie in the pit area were embarrassing.

I thought John Watson & Ben Edwards did a good job under the circumstances. They were obviously suffering from a lack of computer data.

Keith was OK in the pit lane, infact I thought he was better there than in the studio for Champ/IRL/Indy over the years.

But at least we have coverage, hopefully it will get better. Live on screen timing is a must and dumping the girly presenters wouldn't hurt ( nothing wrong with girly presenters as long as they can add something of worth via a little knowledge of the sport).
Old 24 Sep 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1415502)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sophie in the pits wasn't even a stunner !!.What about getting one of the team drivers who is not racing that weekend to do the pit work with Keith Huewen?.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1415521)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 words - Vicki Butler-Henderson!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1415524)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
2 words - Suzi Perry!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1415535)   #11
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
4 words. Suzie Perry Leather Pants !!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1415584)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the timing did have a couple of splutters, but the one with robbie kerr's final time was well timed...

the actual *sessions* at the track lacked drama. it wasn't just the coverage. piquets laps were absolutely amazing to watch, while everyone else was incredible to watch purely because they were all over the place. they could have done with a bit more testing, evidently...

the timing was fairly similar to mst, and they published a small wad of sector times and stuff. i'd check to see what sort of info they supplied but i left it in the boot of the car.

i was impressed. for a first meeting of a new series, it's set itself up for a fall and as far as i could make out, it hasn't fallen yet. except for a couple of gremlins with the cars, but that's it.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1415588)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
4 words. Suzie Perry Leather Pants !!
Couldn't agree more

(Ahem)

About A1GP Productions
I thought TV direction was sadly lacking as they were only picking up cars on their slowing down lap, this didn't help Ben or John since the timing screens weren't immediately updating.

On boards camera breaking up - either poor positioning of the chopper for bounce back of signals or the transmitters in the cars aren't strong enough.

Running lap times on screen, maybe similar to MotoGP where more than one Nation's time can be seen.

End of session graphics showing the individual session times, with the fastest 2 highlighted. Similar to how MotoGP show the two qualifing sessions.

About SkySports
Georgie in the studio was OK in the scripted parts, but was all at sea when having to adlib.

Andy Priaulx obviously wasn't use to hearing "talk back" in his ear when speaking and so seemed to freeze a couple of times.

Sofie Aal was of a level with the Eurosport girls - smile at the camera and hope no-one notices the rubbish question.
Keith was polished in his performance and I hope he takes over in the studio.

It can only get better
Old 24 Sep 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1415597)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just watched the re-run, I have to agree with what everyone else say, lets hope its better for the race tomorrow.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 01:51 (Ref:1415706)   #15
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep in mind how bad the Eurosport/GP2 coverage was at the start of this season and how much better that now runs. I expect to see an improvement at Lausitz, and put it down as a learning curve.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1415718)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
we dont get any qualifying coverage here in australia but Im hoping the races tonight are a bit better than this by the sounds of it.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1415774)   #17
EUROCARS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
EUROCARS has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
UK TV Coverage

TV Coverage I felt was very enjoyable. I like the qualyfing format. Don't Brands just look the buisness on television. The main presenter was very nice aswell, well done Sky Sports.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1415820)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Andy Priaulx needs to be given time to learn the ropes - after all I think this is first ever presenting job ?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1415831)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just been looking on Autosport.com and it says that A1 GP are looking to rectify the timing glitches that ruined the television coverage of yesterday's qualifying.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1415847)   #20
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Do you know were all so clever we should be doing it
Old 25 Sep 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1415872)   #21
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watching a replay of qualifying. Great qualifying concept and – wow – cars moving around under power/brakes etc. Early days obviously, but heaps of potential. While F1 mucks around with changing anything, heres a concept which addresses many of F1s problems. F1 LOOK AND LEARN!!!!!!! Looking forward to the races - Go Aussie, Go NZ. Obviously a bit of kiwi ingenuity in that black car
Old 25 Sep 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1415889)   #22
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I think Andy Priaulx needs to be given time to learn the ropes - after all I think this is first ever presenting job ?
Considering he's a racing driver by trade I thought he did a good job with his first presenting role. It can't be easy talking people through a lap when it's the first time most people have even seen the cars.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1415913)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Im not keen on the A1GP Sky presenters really to be honest.

The lead female presenter has a horrid voice, and just looks like a total bimbo, the female pitlane reporter (Sophie is it?) she seems totally out of her depth, is it her first TV job or is she just really nervous?

The chap seems ok though, I recognise him from the IRL coverage on Sky.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1416014)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Keith Huewen is ace - I'd actually prefer him to be in charge of presenting it - but obviously Sky need to have an attractive face!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1416020)   #25
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I the female pitlane reporter (Sophie is it?) she seems totally out of her depth, is it her first TV job or is she just really nervous?
Well, I like her anyway.