Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Apr 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3396737)   #476
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't know how but I completely missed any TT'ers in the club stand. I was in there from 11 till 1pm and didn't see anyone I recognised!

All the stands I could see that were open were pretty full at the start
There were a few of us there (me, GT6, Bentley03, D0wnforce, Gingers4Justice etc) but frankly we were all so wrapped up in the manner of Michelin Men against the cold it's entirely unsurprising we were unrecognisable.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3396760)   #477
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it tickled me somewhat to note that after the elms people declared they weren't really after the family demographic (paraphrased slightly), i reckon half of people there were "dad and a lad" family days out. good to see superman, batman, spiderman and a power ranger enjoying a day off on saturday too

also, interesting to see lots of people with radios really absorbing what was going on, and very scary to see just how many thousands of pounds of camera kit so many people were carrying around!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3396763)   #478
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
There were indeed a lot of young children there, and beyond "dad and lad" quite a few family groupings, especially on the Saturday.

I guess they managed to pitch it reasonably effectively with the right price point and other activities going on (little things like showing Turbo in the big black tent) making it sufficiently family friendly.

I did notice a steady stream of cars leaving about 2 hours into the ELMS round, which again would fit with families exhausting the level of interest small children were capable of.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3396782)   #479
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't know how but I completely missed any TT'ers in the club stand. I was in there from 11 till 1pm and didn't see anyone I recognised!

All the stands I could see that were open were pretty full at the start
Well we were there in the first bit of the stand that was open that the cars reach but we were all wrapped up as ian said.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3396797)   #480
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well we were there in the first bit of the stand that was open that the cars reach but we were all wrapped up as ian said.
OK - I was at the opposite end - at the top of the first staircase you reach as your arrive from the pit straight
Old 22 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3396852)   #481
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Official statement/article from the WEC regarding their new pay system:

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/thousa...-app_1917.html
Old 22 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3396854)   #482
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
He said weekend attendance. So, that means anyone who bought a 3-day pass were counted 3 times.
Makes sense. Thanks.

FWIW, it was full in the best bits, patchy in others (sorry the pictures are rejects, but show that Sportscar fans congregate in sensible places, like corner exits - Club).

Whatever it was more than subscribed to live streaming!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9179.JPG   IMG_9239.JPG   IMG_9242.JPG  

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Apr 2014 at 19:42.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3396886)   #483
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP
Official statement/article from the WEC regarding their new pay system:

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/thousa...-app_1917.html"
I think that this press release debunks the messages we heard about the crisis meetings at Silverstone - it is hear to stay. The only really positive news is that the live timing will be free again from now on - they probably got scared with the furious feedback, no-one in their right mind believes that half-ass "configuration error" excuse they've given on that article. Though admittely their web designers have proven not to be worth their salaries...

Other bits from there:

Quote:
If the live streaming is free for all, this will cause problems for our first screen broadcasters. First screen participants, such as our TV Broadcaster, will not sign a contract if the content is available for free in an application.
Such as our TV broadscaster? Who, Motors TV which has had no problem whatsoever with free streaming for as long as the championship has existed, or Eurosport's half ass commitment that is likely only hanging on because their series deal is somehow tied up with Le Mans broadcasting rights (that's what I always assumed)? They are the only real broadcasters. Why would they start caring now all of a sudden? Motors in particular has plenty of other series that follow the same model as WEC used to do with free streaming

Quote:
Apple’s terms and conditions are such that if you pay for a premium application, you cannot have the same product available on any other device for free.
Why do they have to have the "same product" on every device?

Quote:
Why such a late announcement?

First of all we didn’t have anything to show to the public before the qualifying session, and we have to say we weren’t prepare for such a success. After only one day without even promoting it the figures were higher than expected.

In order to ensure that the app was ready and running well we had to test it at the Official Test, The Prologue in Le Castellet, with a full TV set up. Once this test was complete we applied further updates to ensure that the app would work at the opening round at Silverstone, which was the first televised session, qualifying for the 6 Hours of Silverstone on Saturday 19 April.
Even if all of this were true, which I doubt it is, it still doesn't explain why to leave the freaking ANNOUNCEMENT and marketing campaign at the very last moment possible.

Quote:
FREE ACCESS FEATURES
---
• LIVE TIMING: Access to the FULL LIVE TIMING including best laps, position in category, gaps, average speed, pits, category filter… The marshaling system will allow you to know the location of each car on the track!
So that's on the free version as well. Was it always there or have they shuffled it around?

All in all you get ONLY live streaming + (most likely selected) onboards if you actually wish to pay for the ACO, nothing else.

Quote:
USA - FIA WEC iPad app is the 36th most downloaded app (ahead of NASCAR)
Wasn't that nice of them to make such comparisons. Especially when you have brand new just released product going against those that have been long in the market

Quote:
“You cannot win the World Title in one race but within a full season; this is the same situation for an application,” Mr. Neveu concluded.
What does that even mean?
Old 22 Apr 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3396893)   #484
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It means we are turning a blind eye to Le Grand Messup.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3396897)   #485
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So that's on the free version as well. Was it always there or have they shuffled it around?
I think they even screwed up this press release. There are two versions of live timing listed under "Free Access Features". The bottom one is probably intended for the pay access:

Quote:
• LIVE TIMING: Light information regarding the timing for Qualifying sessions and Race.

• LIVE TIMING: Access to the FULL LIVE TIMING including best laps, position in category, gaps, average speed, pits, category filter… The marshaling system will allow you to know the location of each car on the track!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3396898)   #486
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that this press release debunks the messages we heard about the crisis meetings at Silverstone - it is hear to stay. The only really positive news is that the live timing will be free again from now on - they probably got scared with the furious feedback, no-one in their right mind believes that half-ass "configuration error" excuse they've given on that article. Though admittely their web designers have proven not to be worth their salaries...

Such as our TV broadscaster? Who, Motors TV which has had no problem whatsoever with free streaming for as long as the championship has existed, or Eurosport's half ass commitment that is likely only hanging on because their series deal is somehow tied up with Le Mans broadcasting rights (that's what I always assumed)? They are the only real broadcasters. Why would they start caring now all of a sudden? Motors in particular has plenty of other series that follow the same model as WEC used to do with free streaming
You are forgetting Eurosport who are the main channel for the casual fan.
Having a free live stream also eliminates any possibility of selling the TV right on a national basis, and through this create an income to lift the series.
Imagine what a economical boost it could be for the small privateers to receive a part of the TV rights income.
Quote:
Why do they have to have the "same product" on every device?
As per the Apple Terms and Conditions.
You cannot have something in the Apple store which you have to purchase, when it's available free somewhere else.

Quote:
Even if all of this were true, which I doubt it is, it still doesn't explain why to leave the freaking ANNOUNCEMENT and marketing campaign at the very last moment possible.
Because making an announcement and start the marketing campaign for something you don't know if will work.

Quote:

All in all you get ONLY live streaming + (most likely selected) onboards if you actually wish to pay for the ACO, nothing else.
Isn't that fair?, seeing that it's the live streaming which is the most expensive service to run?

Quote:
Wasn't that nice of them to make such comparisons. Especially when you have brand new just released product going against those that have been long in the market
Come on, do not be that pessimistic.
We all know that WEC are having a hard time in the US, and highlighting that there is some success is very normal for a business.

Quote:
What does that even mean?
That launching and running such an app is never a success from the start, but that it takes some time to getting it to run smoothly. Have patience.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3396902)   #487
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Still cant bring myself to purchasing it. I think many are on both sides. As long as the races are available online I am good without the "premium" features.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3396901)   #488
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
and in the meantime pay twice!

As you know I don't have a problem, but when I pay I have expectations.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3396903)   #489
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think they even screwed up this press release. There are two versions of live timing listed under "Free Access Features". The bottom one is probably intended for the pay access:
Yup. Doesn't help that in typical ACO fashion these are (badly) translated from French

"Share your feelings, become an actor of the Championship… With Live text."
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3396911)   #490
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
You are forgetting Eurosport who are the main channel for the casual fan. Having a free live stream also eliminates any possibility of selling the TV right on a national basis, and through this create an income to lift the series. Imagine what a economical boost it could be for the small privateers to receive a part of the TV rights income.
I'm not forgetting Eurosport, I mentioned them. With Eurosport I just always thought they were only covering WEC (in minimal capacity) because they "had to" due to their Le Mans exclusive rights. Now that is my own view of things and not necessarily true, but that's how I always saw that.

I was also questioning why NOW all of sudden the streaming has become a problem for the TV partners. It just sounds like an excuse.

Anyway, let's be brutally honest here, the only even somewhat realistic way for WEC to ever get TV explosure on national TV like ITV or RTL or something if the broadcast is in HIGHLIGHT form... no non-specialing channel wants to pick niche live sportscar racing

Quote:
You cannot have something in the Apple store which you have to purchase, when it's available free somewhere else.
Which part of "why do they have to have the same product on every device?" did you miss?

Quote:
Because making an announcement and start the marketing campaign for something you don't know if will work.
Even now right as we speak they have plenty of "there will be more features soon" and "we promise we are working on these things for the future" "it is in development" lines in their press releases so it's not like they're ready even now.

The core element of this whole thing was that the live streaming was going behind the pay wall = they could've announced it ages ago. It's the same freaking stream that's been in use for years ago, nothing has changed in that department (well apart from the fact that the sessions are not archived anymore...)

Quote:
Come on, do not be that pessimistic.
We all know that WEC are having a hard time in the US, and highlighting that there is some success is very normal for a business.
Fair enough but it still strikes in the eye.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3396914)   #491
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Which part of "why do they have to have the same product on every device?" did you miss?
If someone has an Android phone and sees the same application from the same developer/company on an iOS device, but then downloads it and sees it doesn't have the same features as it does on iOS, that someone is going to be quite annoyed and uninstall the app/shout at the developer on the review page/etc. If you develop a mobile app and you want wide market penetration, you must have the same features (at least 80-90%) on both Android and iOS. Which basically amounts to THE SAME PRODUCT.

You can't have a multi-platform product if one platform gets one set of features and another one gets a totally different set of features, because then it's two separate products with little functionality crossover. One would expect a multi-platform mobile app to work in the same way whether you're on Android or iOS (with platform-specific design cues respected of course).

I'm sorry, but that's just how the mobile market goes. If you want multi-platform, you have to have the same product on all devices to keep people at least moderately satisfied.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 22 Apr 2014 at 20:49.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3396917)   #492
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm not forgetting Eurosport, I mentioned them. With Eurosport I just always thought they were only covering WEC (in minimal capacity) because they "had to" due to their Le Mans exclusive rights. Now that is my own view of things and not necessarily true, but that's how I always saw that.

I was also questioning why NOW all of sudden the streaming has become a problem for the TV partners. It just sounds like an excuse.

Anyway, let's be brutally honest here, the only even somewhat realistic way for WEC to ever get TV explosure on national TV like ITV or RTL or something if the broadcast is in HIGHLIGHT form... no non-specialing channel wants to pick niche live sportscar racing
I didn't see you mentioning them, but fair enough.
We both know that things have changed with Porsche joining the fight, and making it a three-way fight. This means more viewers, and making WEC much more profitable to show.

And I agree, we will never see a National Tv station show the whole race, but the start, ending and highlights is still some rights you can sell!

Quote:
Are you suggesting that FIA/ACO should only have chosen one platform/device and the cutting the rest of the market from accessing the race!?

That would create an even bigger, and more justified uproar than what is happening now.
Quote:
Even now right as we speak they have plenty of "there will be more features soon" and "we promise we are working on these things for the future" "it is in development" lines in their press releases so it's not like they're ready even now.
Again, you don't market and make announcements for something you are not sure is going to work.
FIA/ACO played it safe, and choose to test that it was going to work (with the stream) before making the announcement and starting the marketing campaign.

Quote:
The core element of this whole thing was that the live streaming was going behind the pay wall = they could've announced it ages ago. It's the same freaking stream that's been in use for years ago, nothing has changed in that department (well apart from the fact that the sessions are not archived anymore...)
I do not know if you work in IT, but I do not.
But I do know that what we often take for granted as a "little" online thing, can be a major headache to work properly. I think this is the case of the Pay Wall.
Besides, we do not know if there has been any politics going on between different parties before the season start, which could have allowed it to be free. (like a major sponsor pulling out shortly before)
Quote:
Fair enough but it still strikes in the eye.
It does, and it is meant to
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3396918)   #493
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I do not know if you work in IT, but I do not.
But I do know that what we often take for granted as a "little" online thing, can be a major headache to work properly. I think this is the case of the Pay Wall.
Besides, we do not know if there has been any politics going on between different parties before the season start, which could have allowed it to be free. (like a major sponsor pulling out shortly before)
To emphasize on this point from CTD: I work in programming/IT, and I can attest that building a mobile app and a full streaming solution (even without archives) isn't as simple, effortless and/or cheap as it seems to the naked eye. And last year's streaming was done through an existing platform (Dailymotion), the stream this year is on a different platform.

Basically, some big money needs to change hands behind the scenes for a software solution to be built correctly within a given window of time, and software development is a really expensive thing in terms of effort and money paid to the people who put in that effort (why do you think us programmers get paid relatively much in comparison to the average salaries? How do you think DHH made his money to go racing?)

Sorry, just my view as a programmer (and someone who has also paid for the season pass).

Last edited by Victor_RO; 22 Apr 2014 at 21:05.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3396932)   #494
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the pay TV sports services here in the US give a free preview weekend (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket). WEC should have just done that for Silverstone, since it was such a sudden change.

Also, I'm not so sure about this:
Quote:
As an example, Angry Birds on iPhone is 99c, while on Android it's Free.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3396934)   #495
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
As an example, Angry Birds on iPhone is 99c, while on Android it's Free.
The free Android version is plastered with advertising in various places.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3396935)   #496
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
You can have something on the Apple store which you have to purchase, when you have already paid for it!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3396971)   #497
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I notice they don't mention On-Demand viewing, which is the key feature needed to make the paid stream worthwhile for a lot of viewers who simply cannot be at a computer (or mobile device) for six hours every race weekend and don't want to pay $5 for a race they cannot watch.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3396993)   #498
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if the deep pockets of the manufacturers enjoy knowing that the "first screen" media contracts are more important to the FIA WEC than the millions they are dumping into this championship, especially when a market as big as North America gets zero first screen coverage on a race weekend. (outside of LM24 and COTA)
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:47 (Ref:3397304)   #499
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There will be no change because per WEC,"the child already lift the barn"

Contracts are signed,so it will be pay-to view this year

But live-timing will be free

The manufactures are not happy that WEC did this behind their backs!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3397683)   #500
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Maybe I shouldn't bring attention to it, but any idea if the work around will live on?