Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3396757)   #651
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't seen Aston Martin say two words about Richie Stanaway this year apart from his inclusion as a place holder on the entry list.

He's just been confirmed for a GP3 drive but says he will be involved with a parallel Aston GT programme - http://statusgrandprix.cmail3.com/t/...40EF23F30FEDED
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3396792)   #652
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
his name came up on the list of drivers they were considering for #89 I think, but after his performances last year I'm a bit surprised they haven't found more use for him. I guess that #96 is a placeholder to allow Roald Goethe to decides if he wants to run or not, but hope Stanaway gets a seat in the remaining Pro car.

I take it we heard no more about the rumoured GT withdrawl?
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3396837)   #653
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
his name came up on the list of drivers they were considering for #89 I think, but after his performances last year I'm a bit surprised they haven't found more use for him. I guess that #96 is a placeholder to allow Roald Goethe to decides if he wants to run or not, but hope Stanaway gets a seat in the remaining Pro car.
Aston need to pack out that #89 with talent if they want to have a chance at GT-Pro. Last year should show them that. Having one car (I'm ignoring the #99) is not enough. After last year I'd have thought Stanaway would have been central to their plans.

Goethe/Hall/Adam is a great AM line-up for the #96 if Aston can bring it together.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3397182)   #654
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 race winner Jon Lancaster to make his Le Mans debut with Race Performance:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113616

A good mix of drivers in that car.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3397189)   #655
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Very solid interpretation of the current state of play in the LM24 lineup here from EI (link in French).

Interesting point about the financial impacts of withdrawal before or after 25 April, which I guess will shake out one or two things, and their opinion that there's a difference between the likes of Oak Ligier and Rebellion in not having competed yet, and some of the others, in terms of track record and level of testing they've done.

One surprising nugget that I actually find myself agreeing with is recommending that the Garage 56 should run at Spa too - it would serve to prove the concept, and possibly more significantly give then entrant that little bit more exposure which might make the project a bit more viable (less an issue in the case of Nissan, but could it have helped the Green GT last year?).
Old 23 Apr 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3397247)   #656
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ram have just pulled the plug for Spa , citing a shortfall in budget .

Im wondering maybe they could be that rumoured GTE them that's going to pull out , or pull one entry ?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3397248)   #657
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I think running the garage 56 entry at Spa or even more outings would be a good idea but I doubt if it would have helped the Green GT car.
What has happened to it anyway?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3397266)   #658
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
I think running the garage 56 entry at Spa or even more outings would be a good idea but I doubt if it would have helped the Green GT car.
What has happened to it anyway?
True indeed, I suspect the Green GT would have needed divine intervention to get it progressed. I suspect the programme is dead as a doornail and the chassis is sitting in someone's workshop gathering dust.

Running at Spa though gives the team an ability to sell seats a little more persuasively, get a bit more exposure for whoever pays to put their name on the side of the car, and adds a bit of provenance for a later sale of the chassis.

The more I think about it the less I think a programme structured solely around a single race, with a product that is only eligible for that one round is particularly sustainable.

In short, something like the Hope Polevision hybrid Courage could work, or thinking back to the Nasamax or Taurus diesel they could fit, but Deltawing, Green GT, or Zeod don't to me look like especially sustainable propositions. Appreciate I may now be drifting a touch off topic, so I shall move on quietly.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3397316)   #659
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
The more I think about it the less I think a programme structured solely around a single race, with a product that is only eligible for that one round is particularly sustainable.
this has always bothered me too. i don't think they realised quite how good a concept the deltawing was in the end, and quite how much goodwill there was (it wasn't quite support was it?) behind it. a few years on we're seeing exactly how challenging it is to produce a similarly popular and revolutionary project. if you'll excuse the cliches.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3397328)   #660
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post

Im wondering maybe they could be that rumoured GTE them that's going to pull out , or pull one entry ?
Suggestion seems to be that they're skipping Spa to safeguard their budget for Le Mans and beyond

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...raws-from-spa/
Old 23 Apr 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3397333)   #661
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

I think the Ram news caught everyone by surprise and the rumours about a GTE exit pre-date this.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3397368)   #662
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I fully agree with the proposal to run the Garage 56 car at Spa. If the car doesn't appear for whatever reason its LM entry should be cancelled and G56 given to the next reserve.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3397372)   #663
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I fully agree with the proposal to run the Garage 56 car at Spa. If the car doesn't appear for whatever reason its LM entry should be cancelled and G56 given to the next reserve.
Actually that sounds like a good idea
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3397405)   #664
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Where we can sign up for the petition....
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3397423)   #665
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nice idea, but it means that the G56 would have to carry on full development etc having been rejected for Le Mans on the off chance the chosen ones fail to make it.
Spa to Le Mans is not a big time gap if someone has to restart development either.

I think the current way is fine in all honesty, other things have impracticalities about them.

edit: Hang on a mo, maybe I completely misunderstood what you meant? Did you mean the next G56? Or just the next car on the LMP/GT reserve list? Because if you meant the LMP/GT reserve list, then that already happened last year when Green GT dropped out.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3397433)   #666
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Nice idea, but it means that the G56 would have to carry on full development etc having been rejected for Le Mans on the off chance the chosen ones fail to make it.
Spa to Le Mans is not a big time gap if someone has to restart development either.

I think the current way is fine in all honesty, other things have impracticalities about them.

edit: Hang on a mo, maybe I completely misunderstood what you meant? Did you mean the next G56? Or just the next car on the LMP/GT reserve list? Because if you meant the LMP/GT reserve list, then that already happened last year when Green GT dropped out.
What's being suggested is that the Garage 56 entry also be given the opportunity to run at Spa as a warmup for Le Mans.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3397436)   #667
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I am sure that what he was suggesting is that if the garage 56 car fails to make it to spa the next reserve on the ordinary list gets to run in the 56 garage
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3397437)   #668
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
What's being suggested is that the Garage 56 entry also be given the opportunity to run at Spa as a warmup for Le Mans.
Yes, I know. I was responding to the suggestion that if the G56 missed Spa then they should be automatically kicked form Le Mans as well.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3397439)   #669
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I am sure that what he was suggesting is that if the garage 56 car fails to make it to spa the next reserve on the ordinary list gets to run in the 56 garage
But that already happens anyway. Happened last year when Green GT dropped out and was replaced by... hmm... I want to say a ProSpeed Porsche?
It was replaced by someone anyway.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3397462)   #670
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
EI piece, which I wholly agree with argued that a Garage 56 entry (e.g. Zeod) should also run at Spa, if it couldn't do that then it forfeits and the 56th slot goes to next (I would argue next prototype) on the list.

I think the key nuance here is by giving the G56 an additional run it makes the overall project more likely to happen.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3397585)   #671
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I like the Spa idea. Although I think it might be a bit moot as Nissan were the only ones propping up the G56 concept.

Next year and beyond I'm not sure.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3397610)   #672
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yep ..... Ill have that . But they are hardly going to do that to a manufacturer .
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3397654)   #673
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...own-continues/

In slight doubt:

LMP1
Kodewa Lotus - well you know why the trust isn't high

LMP2
Millennium - money
Millennium - money
SMP - politics
SMP - politics

GTE
Craft Racing - "uncertaint"
Aston Martin Racing (PRO) - "yet to finalize"
Aston Martin Racing (AM) - "yet to finalize"
Team Taisan - money
SMP - politics
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3397655)   #674
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Yep ..... Ill have that . But they are hardly going to do that to a manufacturer .
I suspect if you asked Nissan to run the Zeod at Spa they'd be delighted to, and if we were in a Green GT situation we'd shake this out more quickly.

Ultimately my feeling is that if a non-manufacturer is going to realistically do a Garage 56 then it'll be a lot more low level / less radical - so, for the sake of argument, an existing Oreca LMP2 but with solar panels on the bodywork. Indeed you could argue that the Mazda Skyactiv LMP2 could be a legit Garage 56 concept, in that it's outside the regs but doing something that could be innovative.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3397672)   #675
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...own-continues/

In slight doubt:

LMP1
Kodewa Lotus - well you know why the trust isn't high

LMP2
Millennium - money
Millennium - money
SMP - politics
SMP - politics

GTE
Craft Racing - "uncertaint"
Aston Martin Racing (PRO) - "yet to finalize"
Aston Martin Racing (AM) - "yet to finalize"
Team Taisan - money
SMP - politics
What happens if all those GTE's you've listed drop out?
There's only two reserves left isn't there?
Do they fill in with prototypes, or discreetly ask someone else to fill in, or just leave it potentially short of 56 runners?