Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2828975)   #1
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
MGB shell anyone?

Overheard a conversation between a pair of old MG geezers here, and one has an MGB that he is dismantling. The chassis is MOT'd, but his son wants the engine out of it. 1979 BGT. From the sound of it, it's prepped for spraying, but now has lost out to a new toy...

I don't know price, but I'm happy to pass on details if folks wanted to talk to him?
Old 11 Feb 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2829843)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chum of mine recently sold a 1972 rubber bumper BGT for 2 pints. It had been in his barn since the head gasket went 10 years ago . The buyer, another chum, reckons he was ripped off.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2829899)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Chum of mine recently sold a 1972 rubber bumper BGT for 2 pints. It had been in his barn since the head gasket went 10 years ago . The buyer, another chum, reckons he was ripped off.
the other chum's probably right - if it was a '72 rubber bumper car then it was a ringer as the r/b first came out in '75
Old 12 Feb 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2829905)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know where there is a rare wire wheeled BGT automatic that can be bought for silly cheap money at this moment
The guy in the workshop next to me has a 63 roadster on a rollover stand fitting almost all the new panels you can buy. He is well aware that he can buy one "ready to go" for less money but he just loves doing it !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Feb 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2829952)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously doesn't believe in the 'continuation' approach Gordon.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2829973)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The guy in the workshop next to me has a 63 roadster on a rollover stand fitting almost all the new panels you can buy. He is well aware that he can buy one "ready to go" for less money but he just loves doing it !!!
Good for him, I like his style!
Old 12 Feb 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2830086)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know where there is a rare wire wheeled BGT automatic that can be bought for silly cheap money at this moment
I keep falling over BGT automatics, everyone tells me how rare and desirable they are but they never sell - 1800cc automatic in the 70s was always too small IMO, couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Rarer perhaps with wires, but that's personal preference. I'd rather have Rostyles, they take less looking after.

Yeah the MGB is so popular for home resto...I think it's because so much is available, and it's agricultural engineering. Easy to chase down fauts, easy to fix, just an ideal toy car
Old 12 Feb 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2830090)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'd rather have Rostyles, they take less looking after.

Before or after they have cracked up?
Old 12 Feb 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2830156)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Before or after they have cracked up?
Flipping heck Tel "your in the lead"BTW thanks for voting for me mate!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Feb 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2830173)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Obviously doesn't believe in the 'continuation' approach Gordon.
He brought it as a basket case (well tea chests) somebody had stripped it 30 years ago intending to restore it , the body was left in a garden and it looked like a sieve after it was blasted. At least they had bolted a couple of bits of angle iron across the door apertures !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Feb 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2830281)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
the other chum's probably right - if it was a '72 rubber bumper car then it was a ringer as the r/b first came out in '75
Had to check, you're right, chrome bumpers. Sort of.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2830997)   #12
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I take it it's worth nowt, then?

How hard would it be to stick a V8 in there?

I presume not TOO hard? I have a 15 year old who wants a 'project'...
Old 14 Feb 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2831013)   #13
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yeah the MGB is so popular for home resto...I think it's because so much is available, and it's agricultural engineering. Easy to chase down fauts, easy to fix, just an ideal toy car
Having bought one last year (as my first resto attempt) I don't know if I feel reassured or insulted!
Old 14 Feb 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2831026)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I take it it's worth nowt, then?

How hard would it be to stick a V8 in there?

I presume not TOO hard? I have a 15 year old who wants a 'project'...
ideally you start with a rubber bumper shell for a V8 conversion as the tunnel pressings were altered to accomodate it. With the chrome bumper shell you need to do some relieving with a BFH.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2831030)   #15
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
ideally you start with a rubber bumper shell for a V8 conversion as the tunnel pressings were altered to accomodate it. With the chrome bumper shell you need to do some relieving with a BFH.

And maybe a few incisions with a BFC.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2831086)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Having bought one last year (as my first resto attempt) I don't know if I feel reassured or insulted!
I put these up before but this should tell you what you need to know about "rescuing" an MGB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7625771460427/
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2831090)   #17
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter, the chap who will be doing the bodywork for me has one or two projects to do before mine so it will probably be an end of year start. In the meantime, I'm stripping the interior and engine - it's one way to learn - I hope!
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2831097)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you need any guidance about parts supplies etc. I'm sure Terry B can help or just pm me for contact details.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2831694)   #19
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see another Northern Historic MG B owner Gary!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2831822)   #20
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I put these up before but this should tell you what you need to know about "rescuing" an MGB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7625771460427/
Are you going to leave the crossmember cut like that?

Joe
Old 16 Feb 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2832382)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
This is the one in the workshop next to me, a labour of love !
Attached Thumbnails
g 002 m.jpg   g 003 m.jpg  
Old 16 Feb 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2832387)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a masterpiece of Doylees and wallpaper paste!

makes me scared to blast/dunk my Cortina!!!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2832400)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
makes me scared to blast/dunk my Cortina!!!
I'll do it for you Joe, I need to empty a few batteries before I take them to the scrap yard !
Old 17 Feb 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2832504)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post
Are you going to leave the crossmember cut like that?

Joe
The removed section is bolted back in,a mod first performed by someone at Cambridge Motorsport quite a while ago JP. There are quite a few Bs racing with it done,no i'll effects at all and makes g/box removal a lot easier.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2832510)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'll do it for you Joe, I need to empty a few batteries before I take them to the scrap yard !
Thats the good one!

don't want to give away my titanium space frames allow skin shell trick