Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3393566)   #26
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Wow, this seems like a poorly thought out idea.

I would be happy to pay, BUT this sort of thing should be announced a long way before the season starts and not just casually mentioned before the opening race. As it is, I'm not going to pay that unless I am assured that the race will be available to watch afterwards on demand. Last year, their archiving was terrible and most races weren't available weeks after the event and I have no idea what I'll be doing on the weekends when the championship proper actually starts in Autumn (and I definitely can't catch Spa live).

I noticed John Hindhaugh having a dig at the SRO on twitter for its Free Practice session not being available in the UK, wonder what RLM think of this?

Badly thought out and poorly communicated. Can understand doing it, but not the way it's been done.
I think that sums it up.

Preparing the ground and being clear about what exactly is being sold would go a long way towards making the introduction of pricing a lot more palatable.

Seems to me that using Silverstone and Spa as tasters of what the paid-for package will be like, and using the time to talk up some extra features they may be planning to roll out, and then introducing the PPV/subs model for the latter half would be a better way of engaging with customers.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3393571)   #27
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
The only faint glimmer of hope is the 'premium' wording. That'd suggest there could be a non premium version.

Ok.
I'm clutching at straws.
I thought about that too. Nonsensical to have "premium" without a basic version first.

"Depending on the race several broadcast channels are available with, for example, on board camera footage."

So that might be a hint what might be difference between premium and non-premium, but then the screenshots on the page show no difference to last year, altough they seem to be from last year (?) anyway.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3393574)   #28
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
So that might be a hint what might be difference between premium and non-premium, but then the screenshots on the page show no difference to last year, altough they seem to be from last year (?) anyway.
Actually, looking at it the cars in each mocked up screenshot seem to be from 2012!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3393578)   #29
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Actually, looking at it the cars in each mocked up screenshot seem to be from 2012!
Correct. Also looks like only difference on the whole is really the pricing:

(dec 2013): http://web.archive.org/web/201312180....com/live.html
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3393588)   #30
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The page has been taken down.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3393589)   #31
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
The page has been taken down.
Plot thickens.

http://www.fiawec.com/live.html
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3393595)   #32
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to recall Audi offering their own live stream - any word on that?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3393600)   #33
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Saw on twitter that the rough calculations based on last year's viewership total (~5,000 viewers), if everyone purchased the minimum package per race, theyd gain a paltry £25,000 per race! They can't be that desperate for maybe £175,000 per season.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3393605)   #34
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard View Post
I seem to recall Audi offering their own live stream - any word on that?
Last year it was the same official WEC Dailymotion feed, just embedded on their own page.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3393606)   #35
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I noticed John Hindhaugh having a dig at the SRO on twitter for its Free Practice session not being available in the UK, wonder what RLM think of this?
Well Hindy and Eve are staying fairly reserved so far but a few of the regular contributors have been pretty vocal about this.

As mentioned, the pages are now 404ing, so either they've realised it's a lame idea and are reconsidering or this was supposed to be revealed on Friday!
Old 17 Apr 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3393607)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't pay for online streams, neither Eurosport Player nor would I pay for this.

Why. Because I'm a miserly skinflint? I'm broke? Well, yeah, kinda but more because the quality of my net is uncertain. Smooth as you like one day, hiccuping the next and I'm not paying cash so I can grind my teeth to a choppy feed. Sooner not watch it.

Hopefully it's just the difference between HD high quality and low quality - and if it is, that's fine but if they are excluding people outright then viewership/interest will nosedive.

Last edited by Paradise City; 17 Apr 2014 at 00:25.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:01 (Ref:3393650)   #37
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't pay for online streams, neither Eurosport Player nor would I pay for this.

Why. Because I'm a miserly skinflint? I'm broke? Well, yeah, kinda
That pretty well describes me as well.

I'm really not interested enough to pay for a stream for WEC, although I would probably pay a reasonable fee to get a legit Lemans stream.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3393655)   #38
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this rather disappointing, was starting to look forward to wec and this new fee if true just about ruins it for me.in the two years wec has been around most races have been rather dull and boring,being in California the majority of the races were at 1am-3am starting time and I was falling asleep by the 3hour mark.

This is not worth paying for me with six hour races in the middle of the night and a three month break after Le Mans.no thank you I have to work and I like to enjoy my only day off during the day not in the middle of the night paying to watch a stream.this is as disappointing as v8 super cars charging for the bathurst stream.

I understand there's newed intrest with Porsche and webber,and they have an incradible opertunity to make something of it.but I feel like charging people to watch Is going the wrong way,any new fans willturn away.as others mentioned I hope they offer a standard free stream.....
Old 17 Apr 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3393671)   #39
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They werent too boring imo, but lots were not a straight fight. In every class. Even though the start times were strange hours for me I watched as much as possible. Just going to have to catch these races on the illegal stream sites.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3393689)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Saw on twitter that the rough calculations based on last year's viewership total (~5,000 viewers), if everyone purchased the minimum package per race, theyd gain a paltry £25,000 per race! They can't be that desperate for maybe £175,000 per season.
They won't get 100% take up, but maybe it will go some some way to paying for the infrastructure.

I probably won't buy it either. Rare is a weekend I can devote that much time to it (unless I'm here!). I did enjoy watching most of Brazil in the car moving back from a holiday. I was impressed with the quality via a tethered iPad. I have also watched it when Eurosport have gone off air. Stuck with it too as it looked better.

Having said that, I would worry like Paradise City, about the reliability.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3393690)   #41
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was embargoed until Friday, but they (quite ludicrously) broke their own embargo.

As aneesh99 said, some regular RLM contributors have been very vocal about denouncing this. I'm guessing that RLM won't comment due to the embargo. They've always been proponents of sponsor-funded, free-at-point-of-delivery, un-geoblocked coverage, so it's hard to see how they could defend this.

I think the price is reasonable for existing fans, but how is this strategy supposed to attract new fans? Does the series even want to grow? As several people have pointed out, if we take an 8,000 average for people watching the stream (Fuji and Shanghai were more like 4,000 IIRC), and every one of those 8,000 people subscribed for the full season, you're looking at €160,000 in revenue. A paltry sum really, and something that a sponsor could probably easily pick up.

That being said, it's probably wise to wait for the official announcement. This could all be a fuss about nothing.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 06:02 (Ref:3393691)   #42
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One other thing, at that price they simply must offer an on-demand service for all video coverage. That would sweeten the deal considerably in my view. Full coverage of all sessions would be a decent shout, too.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3393697)   #43
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm starting to think that there must be a free to air version available; holding an announcement 'til the day before the season starts would be even more ludicrous..

However, in the world of a social media age, now that people are asking questions they really do need to address them sooner rather than later. Having managed 10,000 tweets in 2 years, one to say 'look for our pricing structure to be released on Friday' or one to say 'for those concerned, there will be a free alternative' shouldn't need thinking about.

Not to mention, both the WEC's own PR and RLM/MWM all winter have been plugging the non-geoblocked, live, FREE stream.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3393715)   #44
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm starting to think that there must be a free to air version available; holding an announcement 'til the day before the season starts would be even more ludicrous..

However, in the world of a social media age, now that people are asking questions they really do need to address them sooner rather than later. Having managed 10,000 tweets in 2 years, one to say 'look for our pricing structure to be released on Friday' or one to say 'for those concerned, there will be a free alternative' shouldn't need thinking about.

Not to mention, both the WEC's own PR and RLM/MWM all winter have been plugging the non-geoblocked, live, FREE stream.
+1
Old 17 Apr 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3393751)   #45
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually greed takes to bad decisions, and ACO/FIA made the dumbest decision... they will lose fans and surely won't get new fans! if before than now, someone wasn't interested to WEC when streaming was free, surely won't be now that is no more free.
Anyway in less than 10 seconds I've found 5 reliable eurosport feeds, so if things won't change, at least I will able to see the first hour and another extra hour.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3393755)   #46
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EDIT: just found a reliable feed of motors.tv, that according to their schedule should broadcast the whole 6 hours. Stupid and annoying pop-ups is the price to pay
Old 17 Apr 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3393759)   #47
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This decision is a year early and the announcement is a month late.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3393760)   #48
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Don't forget to post the link for those not attending the race
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3393765)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to be honest, i'd pay the 20€ for the season quite happily. it's a token amount, and one that i'd rather pay directly to the sport rather than through the tv channel.

as for losing the casual fans, casual fans don't sit in front of their computers watching a 6 hour race...

i see the point about the cost building up if you follow multiple series. that's a big problem, especially if you can't get free to air live tv coverage and aren't in a location where if you drive an hour or so you're at a local circuit where you can go and watch some real life motorsport.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3393770)   #50
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guessing the manufactures don't want to pay for the coverage, is pocket money for most of the big manufacturers though and pretty stupid to pay for actually making a car and team when you loose half your tv audience.