Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1370469)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Mercedes F1?

With Ferrari, Renault and Toyota already having factory F1 squads, BMW about to join the party in 2006 and Honda likely to pick up BAT's majority holding in BAR, I wonder if Mercedes-Benz can afford not to become a full works team in the future. After all, if any of the factory squads win a GP, it's "Ferrari/Toyota/other wins the ___ Grand Prix!". If McLaren wins, then it's "McLaren wins" or, at best, "McLaren-Mercedes" wins. Mercedes-Benz is already losing ground to BMW in sales terms, so can it be sustainable to give away this kind of publicity too?

Just food for thought.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1370491)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the best things Ron Dennis did was keeping the McLaren name, rather than calling his cars after fire engines.

I would hope if/when Mercedes assume full control they do the same.

Bruce's family are still very proud of his legacy - and I hope such historical significance retains a place in F1.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1370494)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Oh, so do I, but I'm not sure the marketing boys at DaimlerChrysler will have the same sentimental attachment to the McLaren name.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1370614)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KB, the cars are named after pushchairs now. Insert joke about JPM throwing his toys out of the pram here.

Mercedes have been the McLaren weak link for a while now. To turn the argument around, the public see McLaren electrical failures rather than Mercedes engine failures.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1370617)   #5
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Mercedes have been the McLaren weak link for a while now.
I think it's a bit more than "a while". It's a typical GP picture: a McLaren leads and suddenly we see smoke from the back and bye bye engine. McLaren would do well to get rid of those engines as soon as possible.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1370662)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a very very sad day if the McLaren name was gone from Formula 1.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1370683)   #7
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
I think it's a bit more than "a while". It's a typical GP picture: a McLaren leads and suddenly we see smoke from the back and bye bye engine. McLaren would do well to get rid of those engines as soon as possible.
mmm about the last 2 or 3 years now.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1370684)   #8
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With out Ferrari, Mclaren, and Williams Their is no F1 Period. They are the teams everyone knows and have grown up watching their success. They are the teams the majority of the fans root for. Don't get me wrong im tired of seeing them win all the time myself but with out them F1 wouldn't be the same.

Thats why I hope in 3 or 5 years I don't see Mercedies instead of Mclaren racing in F1. My Greek friend up above said they should get rid of the engines and find a new engine partner but its not that simple because they own is it 60% of the team or 40%? I can't remember but it's something like that and Ron has talked about retireing and after he is gone I think the Mclaren name might get changed.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 03:00 (Ref:1370708)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
IMHO I don't think the McLaren name will ever go away as you said "Xpunk75" teams like these are Formula1.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1370714)   #10
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As did Brabham, Benetton, Lotus ...

Names come and go.

DKGandBH
Old 3 Aug 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1370715)   #11
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the resources available at Paragon, Mercedes really have no reason to change the status quo and go solo. I think BMW, even with Saubers resources, will take a while to be successful. Just look at Toyota. It just seems to prove that the quality of your engineers and mechanics is what really makes the difference, and McLaren is certainly not lacking in either.

It's a question of money too. Mercedes are currently in the middle of an executive shuffle, and have enough to deal with in the real world of selling sedans. Going it alone would cost too much money.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 05:37 (Ref:1370739)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course Mercedes use the McLaren branding on the SLR roadcar project, so clearlty they still see some cachet in the name.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1370757)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand a team with their own name is a risky option since if you lose there is no escape, let's remember what happened to Jaguar.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1370761)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I will go so far as to work on the premise of WHEN Mercedes buy-out Mclaren.

The name just comes down to the corporate strategies of Mercedes. The company will hold no emotional attachment to Mclaren, and will only keep it if they decide that is the branding that will make them the most profit.

You may have a point there KB, perhaps they could keep the Mclaren branding alive so as to use it for pushing their highest-performance vehicles etc. It could provide a nice excuse to chuck a bit more onto the price tag.

However, they may decide that the mass customer base reached with F1 it is best to simply have the Mercedes brand pumped into the brains of hundreds of millions of people rather than trying anything subtler.

I could see it being a bit of both: maintain Mclaren until they have sorted out any issues in the early years, and once they are fully up to speed and comfortable with their success standards and/or potential, or what have you, then switch to the Mercedes branding.

Who knows, though? It could all work out any old way. Mercedes might leave F1 in 4 years for all we know, or they might buy-out Mclaren in 2007 and rename the team Squirk-Ploobarb Racing Performance F1 or some such.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1370776)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although i'm fully aware of the heartless way mega corporations go about doing their business, i'd be very sad the day Mclaren name is gone... hence i hope, even should Mercedes buy over Mclaren, keep the name of the team.

We've seen the names like Lotus gone.. those names meant more than mere letters, each representing the spirit and history of greatness of a team.

In fact, should Mercedes take over Mclaren, instead of changing the name, why not capitalise on the name Mclaren, and it's history in racing and one of the world's best supercar, to start a very exclusive and limited range of mclaren supercars? It would perfectly complement the current Mercedes & Maybach names.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1370781)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed Gt_R. The elite branding is cetainly a possibility, there is logic to it. However, I am not convinced that it could bring them more than the mass-market.

What about caling themselves Mercedes-Mclaren? Both are kept alive, but Mercedes will dominate the scenery?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1370877)   #17
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, actually we're all talking about how much the Mercedes name is being heard when a McLaren wins, but bottom line is I don't know if Mercedes would prefer to hear "Mercedes 's engine died again". At least now they say "McLaren's engine died". Generally, Mercedes is the weak part of this team, I don't know how they'd even consider renaming the team, it's ridiculous at best.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1370886)   #18
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mercedes hadnt brought into Mclaren I'd have imagine ron would have jumped at BMW.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1370896)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As it stands, running with the McLaren-Mercedes name does limit the positive publicity they get when the car wins, but not to the same extent as it limits the bad publicity when tehy don't.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1370905)   #20
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't really like having engine manufacturers teams. If car sales go down the big boys of the company might decide its time to stop funding the sportssection and they have to pull out. This is what almost happened with Jaguar, we were just lucky Red Bull wanted to have their own team for a long while. If Mercedes would decide to stop with F1, I'm sure Mclaren would not stop to exist, they would find a different engine supplier and probably struggle for a couple of years. At least we wouldn't lose a team.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1371390)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
$The Mercedes issues at present are why, as $I said before, I think they would keep the Mclaren name until they thought they had it sorteed out properly - this is working on the basis of all things being equal.

Gerben, remember that although it cetainly is true that manufacturers will pull out at some point, they will also sell the team on to another buyer first. They would be unwilling, unless in extreme circumstances, to just write-off the investment in its totality.

Thus, we will tend to get the handing over of ownership of teams rather than a net loss as such.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1371449)   #22
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
mmm about the last 2 or 3 years now.
McLaren have been losing championships since 2000 by my reckoning.