Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2003, 10:43 (Ref:746150)   #1
smack
Rookie

smack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a production car bathurst

why can't we return to the days when the car that came off the production line (with some safety modifications) is the car that is raced at the bathurst 1000, instead of these things that midly represent road going cars. I reckon that in 3 years time when avesco goes the way that cams is, there might be a chance that this could happen. bring it procar, sedans that are set up the same as the brutes
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:18 (Ref:746177)   #2
rossp1
Rookie

rossp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice idea !
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:25 (Ref:746186)   #3
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now we have Ross Palmer on the Forums we can at least get the truth on all matters PROCAR.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:27 (Ref:746191)   #4
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: a production car bathurst

Quote:
Originally posted by smack
why can't we return to the days when the car that came off the production line (with some safety modifications) is the car that is raced at the bathurst 1000, instead of these things that midly represent road going cars. I reckon that in 3 years time when avesco goes the way that cams is, there might be a chance that this could happen. bring it procar, sedans that are set up the same as the brutes
Good idea, go back to the roots of the Bathurst 500, good to see Ross P on the forum
Old 10 Oct 2003, 12:03 (Ref:746215)   #5
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, Procar is only a mediocre stopgap between the current V8 Supercar silhouette formula and the GroupC / GroupA format that everyone loved.

Is there a happy medium? Ross?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 19:28 (Ref:746640)   #6
rossp1
Rookie

I guess for some people no.
The old Group C/Group A days were great,but time moves on.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 23:55 (Ref:746827)   #7
iconic
Racer

iconic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 2 hour showroom showdown at bathurst 24hr on saturday morning?
Old 11 Oct 2003, 00:06 (Ref:746832)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I personally feel there is room for all.

i mean look at it there are tonnes of v8's ready to race and the showroom showdown is full of cars as well and offers the road car point of view for fans which is also great.

Times have moved on now we have racing machines instead of showroom cars (I dunno if thats better but its what we've got) and they both provide exciting racing that every type of fan can enjoy.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 00:50 (Ref:746874)   #9
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A production Austrailan Touring class C/ship is what this country needs not the Taxi racing we have now
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:13 (Ref:746975)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
now that comment is highly hypocritical Mr Webber and simply doesnt make sense at all.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:41 (Ref:746992)   #11
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the V8S will eventually be a too costly formula and maybe the showroom formula will return as a No 1 formula,I just think the blueprint formula is now becoming too much like formula one, it is becoming too plastic as the cars dont represent what we can buy! Similar to what happened in GROUP A!
Get back to basics take away the Razzle dazzle, egos,lets have a bit of oversteer,overtaking and lead changes, then we wont have too much of a one team domination I like the Pro car / BRutes, they seem to be becoming very popular Bring it on !
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:42 (Ref:746994)   #12
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Lots of people with ulterior motives denigrate V8 super cars, claiming them to be merely racing taxis. In my view these people usually want and prefer European cars, cringing when they see Australian manufacturers racing.

True ford and Holden supply fleet taxis but comparing and mistaking supercars with taxis is just laughable.

Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:44 (Ref:746996)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
agreed , welcome aboard MonaroCountry
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:49 (Ref:747000)   #14
rossp1
Rookie

MHDT ! have you ever been to a PROCAR race meeting or watched the PROCAR champ series on Seven or for that matter the Bathurst 24 hour?
If so your comments about mediocrity are I think could lack discernment.
They are two entirely different forms of motorsport.
PROCAR is in the main about European styled road racing [with the exception of the V8 BRutes].
AVESCO and V8 Supercars are a cross between NASCAR and CART[american styled showbiz racing,and there is nothing wrong with that].
PROCAR has something for eceryone including our supports .
The 200 teams that turn up for each round like our form of motorsport ,and we also have a large fan base.Not as large as AVESCO by a long shot,but we are moving forward.
We are in the main ignored by Auto Action ,but we make up for that by the 200,000 visits [300,000 expected in November 24 hour month]to our website.
Check it out at www.procar.com.au www.V8BRutes.com and www.bathurst24hr.com
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:52 (Ref:747002)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
shameless self promotion there Ross but also very true

I believe all series have something to offer everyone , now if we could just get them all together on one program with equal tracktime for them all what a weekend that would be
Old 11 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:747007)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
why can't we return to the days when the car that came off the production line
:confused: A grid full of Mazdas,Hyundais,Daihatsus,Subarus,Hondas and someone trailing the feild in a Lada would hardly get the fans on the Mountain in a frenzy

HOLDEN vs FORD,thats what its all about

Last edited by Armco Bender; 11 Oct 2003 at 08:00.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 08:01 (Ref:747008)   #17
rossp1
Rookie

Yes Marcus in China and New Zealand ?
No thanks we have a strong spectator support base and we don,t get screwed by 10 when we do our own events and shoot our own television.
We get together at Clipsal and Indy and that,s enough.
Have you ever had to put up with TC screaming and yelling with stray saliva being broadcast all over the place? Well we have and we prefer to do something that is more fun and a little less stressful.
Our teams like the professionalism that we provide togetner with a more relaxed weekend.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 08:38 (Ref:747025)   #18
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rossp1
Yes Marcus in China and New Zealand ?
No thanks we have a strong spectator support base and we don,t get screwed by 10 when we do our own events and shoot our own television.
We get together at Clipsal and Indy and that,s enough.
Have you ever had to put up with TC screaming and yelling with stray saliva being broadcast all over the place? Well we have and we prefer to do something that is more fun and a little less stressful.
Our teams like the professionalism that we provide togetner with a more relaxed weekend.
The way I see it Ross P's series is about racing & Tony C's series is about making money.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 11:04 (Ref:747104)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I was speaking purely as a fan Ross.

I agree you have had a hard time with this issue , but as i stated if you could get equal track (and I will add TV) time it would make for one heck of a weekend.

but as you say your events are stand alone and I agree I attended a round at Winton and had a ball , but I watch any kind of racing no matter what it is and dont take sides of political issues Im purely a racing fan and wish any series alot of success.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 11:44 (Ref:747138)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I love the Procar series and hope it continues for years and years. Love watching the Ferrari's and Lambo battle it out with the Monaro and thoroughly enjoy the production and Brutes as well. The F3 coverage has also been excellent and thank god 7 picked up the ball and ran with it.
Bloody amazed they are running a broadcast tomorrow while Bathurst is on though.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 15:38 (Ref:747324)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by monaroCountry
Lots of people with ulterior motives denigrate V8 super cars, claiming them to be merely racing taxis. In my view these people usually want and prefer European cars, cringing when they see Australian manufacturers racing.

True ford and Holden supply fleet taxis but comparing and mistaking supercars with taxis is just laughable.

Nothing wrong with V8 engines or Ford and Holden, just that other manufacturers and types of car configuration deserve to be allowed to race in what is supposed to be a 'Touring Car Championship'.

How would the Ford vs Holden battle lose ground if other manufacturers were in the series....or has everyone forgotten that the 'good old days' always referred to as to how the rivalry started, featured Chrysler as the third outright manufacturer.......

Last edited by racer69; 11 Oct 2003 at 15:39.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 02:57 (Ref:748981)   #22
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
we don't have a touring car championship we have a class run by two makes that won't let others play

why ?

frightened maybe
Old 13 Oct 2003, 04:51 (Ref:749021)   #23
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would they be frightened?

Do you think Ford/Holden production line engineers build the V8's?

Race teams and manufacturers are not the same thing.

If Mitsubishi/Toyota entered the game, they would be looking for a current team of experts currently running a Holden or Ford to build their cars. So what is to be scared of.

I would love to see a production style race, but while ever people want parity not true racing then you will never have it.

And if you don't have some form of parity, then the manufacturers who have no chance of winning won't play.

And if manufacturers won't play, you have no money and no variety. Simple really.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 05:58 (Ref:749043)   #24
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't always the way though,you start with a showroom type catagory but slowly and surely it gets more and more expensive until they through the whole lot out and start again with a showroom class.
Tourers,V8's,Procar any of them.
Same **** ,different stink
Old 13 Oct 2003, 07:06 (Ref:749093)   #25
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford & Holden had trouble agianst a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder BMW M3

What if it was open to other manufactors, Ford & Holden would cry again.

I would like to see Camry's Magna's etc racing....at the moment I see taxi's running around as Nascar's

Something like bristich v8 that Rouse is setting up sounds good.

I drive a Volkswagen Bora V6 $ Motion, I dont identify with XR6's & SS. I prefer Procar, Sports Sedans, and the old group A of late eighties

Ross you are on a good thing......no I am not of the chardonay set but the bogan element of V8 is not a good scene and to quote Frank Garnder from about 1996 V8 racing is constepated.....no passing