Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3290658)   #101
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the additional push to pass has to stay, limit it to one per team and draw which race it will be for from a hat - this would eliminate the possibility of 'vote rigging' for a local driver in his/her home race.

I do believe that the concept will need to be heavily promoted to non traditional audiences so not just in the local motorsport magazines but by the cities involved and more importantly, heavily, not just an A5 poster in a bus shelter put up the week before.

Hopefully this will prove a success - fingers crossed.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3291010)   #102
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a rubbish idea. If you're not running a sport, I'm not interested in watching.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3291014)   #103
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My feelings exactly I'm afraid.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3291432)   #104
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea to shake things up, personally I think it'll go down a lot better with the more switched on younger generation than the grandad purists....

Personally I'll just end up voting for the car behind or the guy more likely to pull off an overtaking move rather than voting based on the best "personality", especially if the voting is mid-race.

Idea: If the voting page is completely laden with adverts maybe that can be a way to ensure we have an advert-break free race?

I'd rather have that feature in the race and maybe have it sponsored, NASCAR style, than have to miss any of the racing due to an ad-break.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3291443)   #105
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
I like the idea to shake things up, personally I think it'll go down a lot better with the more switched on younger generation than the grandad purists....

Personally I'll just end up voting for the car behind or the guy more likely to pull off an overtaking move rather than voting based on the best "personality", especially if the voting is mid-race.

Idea: If the voting page is completely laden with adverts maybe that can be a way to ensure we have an advert-break free race?

I'd rather have that feature in the race and maybe have it sponsored, NASCAR style, than have to miss any of the racing due to an ad-break.
+1000 I agree. Out with the "grandad purists", as you say... Formula E is electric and fit for a new, youthful, technological-driven generation!

Old 19 Aug 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3291520)   #106
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still think you´re underestimating the youth..
New ideas are good but I think they want sports as much as older people.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3291650)   #107
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I don't think all of today's youth are vacuous and shallow. There are surely ways to attract the younger demographic without sacrificing all pretence of being a sport. Hopefully the FIA will veto the stupid idea and us grandad purists (or motorsport fans) will not be alienated by a series with otherwise great potential.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3291659)   #108
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Yeah, I don't think all of today's youth are vacuous and shallow. There are surely ways to attract the younger demographic without sacrificing all pretence of being a sport. Hopefully the FIA will veto the stupid idea and us grandad purists (or motorsport fans) will not be alienated by a series with otherwise great potential.
Exactly! And as far as grandad purists go I want to point out that I'm 23 FWIW.

In the long run I think it's a dumb move to choose show over sport. All-star games are popular but wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for the regular series, the ROC is popular but wouldn't be anything if the drivers hadn't already got their fame in F1, DTM etc., The Harlem Globetrotters are popular but nothing like the NBA.. I think you get my point.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3291661)   #109
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
crikey, put your burning torches and pitchforks down guys!

be careful about parading the "sport" thing as an arguement against any kind of fan-influenced bonuses. arguably penalties are in the same category, so it's not just straight forward.

i understand the strong dislike for any sort of voting shenanigans - surely that'd work better with grid placing - but i don't think resorting to "it's just not cricket" as a defence is a particularly good one.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3291663)   #110
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with penalties beeing in the same category?

And I'm swedish so cricket references goes right over my head
Old 19 Aug 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3291673)   #111
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well, the idea of it being motor *sport*, as in, the *sport* element demands no outside intervention or artificial situations. a group or one person issuing penalties for sporting misdemeanours is arguably just as much of an intervention as fans voting for someone to have an extra boost allowance over the rest of the field. bringing in outsiders, or extending the field of play to include the stewards room or the internet... it's not really new, is it?

"it's just not cricket" is a (slightly posh, mostly southern) british expression, used for pretty much anything that isn't right, or fair. eg selling wine at a beer festival, that's just not cricket. or giving someone a parking ticket whilst they're at the machine paying for one
Old 21 Aug 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3292412)   #112
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I don't know if I really agree with that but I get your point I guess.

And thanks for the explanation, doubt I'll ever use it but you never know.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 05:33 (Ref:3293640)   #113
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!

Can one of you possibly feed me some more information lately? I'm starvin over here!!

Here's what the official website has to say about Beijing:

Quote:
With a history spanning more than 3,000 years, Beijing has been an integral part of China's history. As the capital of the People's Republic of China it is one of the most populous and visited cities in the world and regarded as the political, educational and cultural centre of this great nation. For visitors there is so much to see and do with almost every major building boasting some national historical significance together with a wonderful array of attractions, including the iconic Great Wall of China, and making Beijing a truly world class international destination.

Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) is situated in the Shunyi District of the city, about 15.5 miles (25km) northeast of Tiananmen Square, and is China's busiest and most important international airport. From there you can take the Airport Express tube line which brings you into the city centre in around 20 minutes.

Beijing Nanyuan (NAY) Airport is located in the Fengtai district which is nine miles (14km) from Tiananmen Square, south of downtown Beijing. The airport is considerably smaller but closer to the centre. For quick access into the centre, hop on one of the many airport shuttle busses.

By far the best and greenest way to travel is to use the city's metro system which is well priced and efficient. A ticket costs ¥2 for a ride anywhere with unlimited transfers or you can purchase a metro card known as the Municipal Administration and Communication Card which can be bought for ¥40. Exploring the city by bicycle is another option with cycles available to rent from many different outlets, although it is often just as cheap to buy one!

The most expensive hotels tend to lie in central Beijing such as The China Club or the Beijing Legendale Hotel. The Chaoyang District, to the north east, also boasts some of the city's best hotels including the Hilton or the Kempinski. In the financial district, which is to the west, you will find many mid-range hotels such as the Grand Mercure or the Holiday Inn which are also eco-friendly. Other green hotels include the Intercontinental Beijing Beichen, the Regent Beijing and the Novotel. Backpackers, meanwhile, should head to Houhai.

Tours & attractions - To start with visitors should head to the mysterious Forbidden City, before walking through the iconic Tiananmen Square followed by the Temple of Heaven to the south of the city. You can also visit the Ming Tombs site just outside the city centre and of course the Great Wall of China. Beijing's iconic 'Bird's Nest' Olympic Stadium is another must see together with the Panda House at Beijing Zoo. Art lovers should head to 798 Art Space or for even more culture there's the historic Lama, Tanzhe and Jie Tai Temples.

Concert & Theatre - Any show at the Beijing Opera is well worth buying a ticket for whether its music, dance or breath-taking acrobatics. There's also the National Grand Theatre or the Capital Theatre.

Shopping - Beijing has many places to pick up a souvenir or two. The principal markets are Hongqiao Market, the Silk Market in Xui Shui Street and the Chinese Panjiayuan Flea Market. There are also many different districts to explore such as Wangfujing, Dashilan and New Qianmen Street, and for designer labels head to the Sun Dong An Plaza.

Landscape - Even in a densely populated city like Beijing there are still many open places to unwind such as Beihai Park or the Summer Palace located in the largest Royal gardens. If you have time, the Botanic Garden of Beijing is also well worth a visit.

No trip to Beijing is complete without sampling the local cuisine in particular Beijing roast duck. There are many places offering this local dish but two of the best renowned restaurants are Quanjude and Bianyifang. Of course, visitors will also find an array of cuisines on offer from Japanese and Thai to French and American.

When it comes to evening entertainment then look no further than Chang'an Street or Tianqiao Market. A must see for younger revellers is Sanlitun Pub Street and the surrounding area which offers many different bars and types of music. Alternatively, head to one of the main four night markets at Dongdan Street, Xidan Street, Donghuamen Gate and Longfusi Temple.

Beijing has a real continental climate with four discernible seasons: a short, windy spring, long, hot summers, a cool pleasant autumn but long, cold winters. Temperatures can range from -3°C/26°F in January to 26°C/79°F in July so be sure to pack accordingly!
Rather strange they didn't tell us to bring a facemask.

...and also avoid the ring road highways past 3:00.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3293718)   #114
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
you know, it's funny how you're hellbent on bringing the political and environmental agenda into sport anywhere but your own thread about sochi

it's a shame the series can't really encourage motorsport tourism as a part of the city races thing because gratuitous intercontinental flying kind of goes against the whole environmentally friendly ethos (have i said that already? if i have, sorry ).
Old 25 Aug 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3293881)   #115
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
you know, it's funny how you're hellbent on bringing the political and environmental agenda into sport anywhere but your own thread about sochi
Given over a million people die prematurely because of air pollution in China, it almost requires it's own thread in Parc Ferme, never mind a bit of discussion here and there...

And do not bring Sochi 2014 into this. I'll talk about it with you all you want but not here.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3294375)   #116
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would be a better place to launch the Formula E than China's mega polluted cities? Beijing, Shanghai, HK and so on are precisely the places where electric vehicles are most needed. It's a booming economy without any oil reserves which is the #1 producer of batteries and panels, also the government openly supports electric car development.
If you take a look at their calender, it's like a list of the most polluted cities in the world with the exception of the one in Malaysia with the strange name.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3294428)   #117
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
What would be a better place to launch the Formula E than China's mega polluted cities? Beijing, Shanghai, HK and so on are precisely the places where electric vehicles are most needed. It's a booming economy without any oil reserves which is the #1 producer of batteries and panels, also the government openly supports electric car development.
If you take a look at their calender, it's like a list of the most polluted cities in the world with the exception of the one in Malaysia with the strange name.
That's Putrajaya.

Of course you're right, Ivan, but you can only take it to a certain extent. If the drivers literally can't breath they are in danger of serious health complications (Nico Rosberg could have missed the Shanghai race because of the pollution there, and that was very little when compared to Beijing's regular air quality). Bangkok is smoggy, but not unbearable (unless you catch a really bad day and/or have respiratory issues), Buenos Aires the same, and Los Angeles, Berlin, and Rio maybe a little better than those two. London used to be the absolute worst in the world until they got their coal burning under control. Miami has very clean air almost all the time (the haze you get occasionally is mist off the ocean, not smog).

You can easily drive and hold an event in these conditions, even if it is not a picture perfect air day in LA...

But it's all up to an extent. And an AQI reading of over 1000 in Beijing (that's a bit worse than being in the middle of a forest fire) at one point is not bearable. Everyone is explicitly warned by the government not to venture outside, asthmatic or not, when the AQI is 300+. To give you an idea, a REALLY bad day in LA is 150. The worst it's ever gotten here in Dallas was 200 or so, with a summer brush fire.

But this is simply not reasonable...

Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3294635)   #118
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some allergic reactions can be triggered, but they can be easily controlled with medicines and most of these drivers take their health very seriously, so if you prepare yourself and stay inside air conditioned spaces, then it will be OK for them to race. I'm also allergic, but tbh pollen storms are equally dangerous. I.e. this season there was one in Barcelona.
I'm sure the drivers will be well advised and prepared.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3294647)   #119
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
with my moderator hat on this time, can i ask, nay, demand that we keep the politics, environmental and non-sporting crap elsewhere please?

this is not the daily mail comments section, your facebook timeline, or your local amnesty international branch. we discuss motorsport here.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3294722)   #120
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
can i ask, nay, demand that we keep the politics, environmental and non-sporting crap elsewhere please?
With pleasure.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3294771)   #121
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
excellent. the motorsport stuff is far more interesting, anyway

when are we expecting to see demo runs? it'd be fairly cool to see the random demos that red bull are so good at with a different spin and agenda.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3295340)   #122
FormulaE
Rookie

FormulaE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
excellent. the motorsport stuff is far more interesting, anyway

when are we expecting to see demo runs? it'd be fairly cool to see the random demos that red bull are so good at with a different spin and agenda.
First of all, great to see Formula E has caused such a stir! Some interesting points!

In answer to your question, from April next year we plan to visit every city on the calendar and put on a roadshow/demonstration (including London). Between now and then the car has to be launched (10th Sept at Frankfurt Motor Show), crash tested to latest FIA/F1 standards and then extensively tested. The first public running of the new car is set for Jan 2014 though.

Of course, there will also be various static car displays around the globe before April 2014 but not full-on roadshows.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3297005)   #123
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone for a list of must be drivers?

Here is my list:

Dixon, Franchiti, Andretti, Montoya, Kovaleinen, Glock, Fisichela, Massa
Di Grassi, Davidson, Duval, Vernay, D'Ambrosio, Valsecchi, Mortara,
Perera, Riggon, Parente, Tappy and Lancaster
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3301042)   #124
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula E eyes in-race dynamic recharge to replace two-car format:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109786

With the article it's said that Qualcomm signed a multi-year contract with the series. Considering the links the company has, do we might see Nelsinho Piquet back in formula cars, or the first outings of his younger brother Pedro instead???
Old 9 Sep 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3301053)   #125
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting technology involved as it could have major uses in road transport, but I wonder how much it costs.