Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:48 (Ref:413204)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Spa off the 2003 calendar

According to Reuters, sources within F1 say that Spa is due to be scrapped from next years calendar as team bosses refuse to accept the ban on tobacco advertising.

If this is endorsed at Monday's FIA meeting, next years calndar will be for 16 and not 17 races.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:413208)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be a travesty.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:51 (Ref:413209)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA are just a bunch of clowns. Although I'm sure Ralf would be jumping for joy...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:51 (Ref:413212)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. Anyone want to join me in the boycott? I didn't watch Suzuka, and I'm sure as hell not watching next year.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Oct 2002 at 13:52.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:53 (Ref:413214)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Here is the full article as it appears on Reuters:

14:44 25Oct2002 RTRS-Motor racing-Belgian Grand Prix set to be axed

LONDON, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Next year's Belgian Grand Prix is set to be scrubbed off the Formula One calendar, team sources said on Friday.
The sources told Reuters that team bosses had decided at a meeting on Thursday not to go to Spa next year due to restrictions on tobacco advertising in Belgium.
The team chiefs were holding further discussions with International Automobile Federation (FIA) officials before a meeting of the Formula One Commission on Monday.
The decision on Spa, which will reduce the championship from 17 to 16 races, must be approved formally at Monday's meeting in the presence of FIA president Max Mosley and the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
An FIA spokesman could not confirm any decision on Spa and said it would be up to the Formula One Commission to decide.
Spa was included provisionally on the 2003 calendar dependent the lack of unanimous agreement by the teams.
The race was left open due to a Belgian government decision to introduce a law against tobacco advertising in August next year before the grand prix.
Spa is one of Formula One's great tracks, ranking as world champion Michael Schumacher's favourite circuit.
The Formula One authorities have already announced that two new races, China and Bahrain, will be added to the calendar in 2004 and some European grands prix will have to be cut.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:54 (Ref:413215)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've really done it this time, FIA.

Yeah, let's take the best track of the calendar and replace it with a crappy Tilke designed track in China or Bahrain or somewhere, good idea. Well done Bernine and Max, good stuff, keep ruining the sport I used to love.

Maybe CART and V8 Supercars have there problems, but I notice they dont castrate and remove their circuits because of money.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:03 (Ref:413225)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well....i think we all knew this was going to happen , but it doesnt make it any easier does it !....

all for the sake of people who want to sell tobbacco...

stupid isnt it !
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:20 (Ref:413244)   #8
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F*ck it. We all knew it would happen anyway.

And dont blame tobacco, blame the backward governments who think not advertising makes a difference. Tobacco money has made racing. Almost half of the primary team sponsors in F1 are tobacco companies.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:47 (Ref:413282)   #9
classic
Rookie

classic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this a little bit of a double standard???? The US GP doesn't allow Tobacco advertisements.. So why the different treatment towards Spa?
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:49 (Ref:413285)   #10
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a crazy decision made by crazy people. How can a racing formula exist where all of the best racing tracks are continually being replaced by sanitised car-friendly circuits. Spa is one of the few circuits where driver skill can have a significant effect on performance, on the Tilke-Rings it's all down to car design, no point in the WDC.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:00 (Ref:413347)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by classic
Isn't this a little bit of a double standard???? The US GP doesn't allow Tobacco advertisements.. So why the different treatment towards Spa?
Exactly, and that's a very good question. Several countries hosting F1 don't allow tobacco advertisements, hence the Ferraris running without their tobacco logo, the McLarens running with "David" and "Kimi" on their cars and the Jordans running with "Buzzin' Hornets" and "Be on edge" in stead of their sponsors' name at several of the events during a year. Why single out the Belgian GP, which happens to take place on the best circuit on the calendar???

One would think they were out to destroy F1, not preserve it. It is the next step in a long line of which started with the rule changes introduced at the start of the 1998 season.

Last edited by R; 25 Oct 2002 at 16:03.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:19 (Ref:413367)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JonesF1
F*ck it. We all knew it would happen anyway.

And dont blame tobacco, blame the backward governments who think not advertising makes a difference. Tobacco money has made racing. Almost half of the primary team sponsors in F1 are tobacco companies.

Yes, blame my backward government!

BLAME THIS GUY!

(the following may contain explicit, vulgar images and is not recommended for viewing by children under the age of 16 years)
Attached Images

Last edited by ASCII Man; 25 Oct 2002 at 16:25.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:20 (Ref:413369)   #13
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the tobacco-thing is just an excuse to axe Spa from the calender... the real reason might be that some Belgian politician called Bernie a "bandit"...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:26 (Ref:413377)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No the real reason is one i gave earlier in another thread... ("the future of Zolder?" thread)
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:40 (Ref:413391)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Keeping Spa is right up at the top of my list with standardised electronics as a no brainer decision for the good of the sport. To loose one of the two remaining real drivers circuits beggers belief.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:45 (Ref:413395)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

+ the fact that i lose my home grand prix...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:50 (Ref:413403)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

I searched in all the political websites of Belgium for something about negotiations/proposals/whatever about Spa-Francorchamps and the tobacco regulations and found NOTHING... Nada!

So it's not hard to figure out how my government really cares about the sport...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:51 (Ref:413405)   #18
classic
Rookie

I don't think blaming the Belgian Government is right.. Calling it backward is absolutely not right.
Smoking is a bane and I know it because I am a smoker.. And I know how difficult it is to kick the habit once you have gotten into it.

If the policy of the Belgian Government is to help curb smoking by banning glamourous ads about smoking, then that is a very good thing. And a courageous thing because I am sure that there are a lot of people in Belgium who are incensed about losing the race. Ascii man.. Thank you for the photograph.. I think that is a brave man you have over there.. (At least on this issue )

Most advertisements are aimed at making people like what you make/sell and making them want to buy them. The effects of advertisements on people's decision making capabilities must be very significant.. this explains why we are constantly bombarded with ads day in and day out.. on the TV.. on the highways.. in City blocks.. in shopping malls..
The effect of these on the minds of people, be it kids or be it adults, cannot be underestimated.

You can argue about freedom of choice.. Then why pray aren't there ads for other drugs? like heroin? like LSD? What makes smoking different from those? As far as I know, nicotine is probably one of the most addictive substances known to man.. the freedom of choice is extremely constrained after one gets addicted.. An addict cannot make a free decision about his addiction.. That is when he/she is more vulnerable than a kid..

If you want someone/something to blame for losing Spa, then blame the FIA. Blame the FIA because for most of us out here this is still a sport and not a business. Blame the money grubbing *****s who think profit margins overrule every other consideration. Blame the money grubbing ****s who talk about weight handicaps and reversing the grids in the interests of making the "show" better and then go ahead and castrate/drop race tracks.

Is this supposed to be a "Show"? Or is it supposed to be an arena for the best drivers to race in the best possible equipment?

When was the last time a modification was made to a race track in the interests of better racing? When was a crappy race circuit like Monaco replaced by a superb circuit like Spa???

It is all about the money.. Some people (FIA ) are willing to do anything to make it.. Some people (The Belgian Govt ) are willing to lose it on the basis of principle.

sorry about the rant.. I will get off my soap box now.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:51 (Ref:413406)   #19
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't there more income with a non-tobacco race...the tobacco companies will still pay (since they're in the picture all over the season), other companies will pay for extra airtime on these tracks.

And 2nd...team merchandise, die-cast models will all be in different liveries with fans buying more cars.

Still...GRRRRRRRRRR FIA!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:04 (Ref:413417)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by classic
Ascii man.. Thank you for the photograph.. I think that is a brave man you have over there.. (At least on this issue )

You dare to call that man brave????

He's the most incapable of prime ministers our country has ever had!

I can't even call this country democratic anymore... (cordon sanitaire and more)

Grrrr! *calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...*

Last edited by ASCII Man; 25 Oct 2002 at 17:09.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:19 (Ref:413435)   #21
classic
Rookie

If there is a lot of pressure from the public to relent for the sake of the race, then I will stick by what I said.. Your man is brave.

I don't care if he is the most incompetent person around.. However, if he sticks by what he believes in, for something however small or insignificant, it says something about the man.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:27 (Ref:413442)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Just when you think it can't get worse, they axe one of the great circuits! OK, so what's next- driver swapping, or the championship being fought out in Formula Fords (although actually, if they're serious about wanting better racing......)
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:36 (Ref:413451)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The point is if we all wanted to see good close racing we'd all be down lining the fences at our local Karting centres but we don't (thats for dads trying to recapture a mispent youth through their kids). F1 is special because it is the pinnacle, the highest, most inaccesible form of motor sport, and the politics, the teams, the strategy and the racing together make the sport what it is. The only suggestion in the 9 point plan that makes sense is the standarised ecu's, put that through and race at spa next year and I just might gain the smallest ounce of respect for the guys currently destoying the 'sport' that I used to love.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:45 (Ref:413461)   #24
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats it , I dont care about the so-called reasons F1 just dug its own Grave as far as I am concerned. I did'nt watch the last 3 reces this season and I wont bother at all next year.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:45 (Ref:413462)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a North American, watching the F1+CART rumours fly, I can't help but wonder if CART is bound for Spa next year, particularly since almost all ciggie sponsored teams are gone (the exception being Forsythe/Players).

Couldn't Bernie use his CART scheduling as a carrot to those who want a GP - "host one of these, we'll see if you rate the step up to F1?"

Also, he could offer CART 2003-2005, until the EU smoking ban takes effect, and then have F1 slide right back in.

Just a thought.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James