Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 23 Mar 2004, 11:19 (Ref:916305)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
building your car . . . . . .HOW MUCH !

not sure if this is strictly 'technology' but for those of you who have built your own car, how long did it take ?

I've spent around 15k on cars and bits . .mad a bit back selling stuff off . . .I have good stuff but a lot of 2nd hand, the engines top top spec yet either

I've noted hours as Ive been building and reckon 350 hours to build from a bare shell, this includes rebuilding callipers and suspension struts etc, reconditioning of many old parts as I cant just throw new at it for cost and availability reasons.

on top of that I estimate 150 hours, on searching, buying and collecting stuff, and managing the 'project'

now you dont need to be an accountant to work out thats 10 weeks work, if you pay yourself and give yourself a margin for overheads and mistakes etc . . . .all of a sudden its £25k for fully prepped race historic saloon !!!

anyone else worked it out ? . . .I know many bury their heads in the ground, but you must have a pretty good idea if your honest

Old 23 Mar 2004, 11:45 (Ref:916336)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes,

I worked out my costs for building a Westfield in OZ, and it set me back the wrong side of 60,000 Aud including building the engine and gearbox.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:25 (Ref:916469)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
about the same then at todays exchange rate.

I envisage people not replying incase the wife see's
Old 23 Mar 2004, 15:17 (Ref:916589)   #4
Minorist
Rookie

Minorist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to admit that I'm one of those who prefers the head in the sand approach

Keeping track of the hours isn't so bad (until you work out roughly what your hourly 'salary' might be), but keeping tabs on the parts is a dangerous past-time, especially if the list falls into enemy hands.....
Old 23 Mar 2004, 16:11 (Ref:916660)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think I could build it quicker and cheaper again because I was experimenting with things and using a mish mash of bits in some cases experimentally . .. ie suspension set up and brakes. . . . in some instances your better off saving time and buying pre prepared stuff to save build time, but obviously some stuff is rediculously priced. ie MGB brake pads are the same but half price !

very good point Minorist . . .I'm lucky that Mrs zefarelly is an accountant and I had signed purchase requisitions for virtually everything !
Old 24 Mar 2004, 02:21 (Ref:917340)   #6
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am a student and have been building my Clan over the last 13 months. Including lock up, insurance and other expenses (beer ) I have probably spent around 4000 and the shell is still bare. 300man hours on it and now buying another one :confused:
Old 24 Mar 2004, 02:23 (Ref:917341)   #7
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
god bless the student loan lol
Old 24 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:917658)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
ha ha . . . one way Ive helped finance . . .without a student loan, has been buying job lots of spares, sifting, keeping good bits, throwing the **** (usually half of it) and selling the rest to help try and finance it all.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:49 (Ref:917793)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I once started working this out and put the receipts back in the filing cabinet when I got to about £12K and wasn't half way through. I don't check any more
Old 24 Mar 2004, 17:00 (Ref:918127)   #10
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep track of every penny spent, not just on the car but on race costs, entries, fuel, tyres, accomodation, etc. Find it helps to prepare budget figures for following season and gives a guide to the sort of money required from sale of said machine/parts.