Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:00 (Ref:683152)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best overtaking move of all time!

A nice little memory raker this: what, in your opinion, was the greatest overtaking move of all time?

I will have to come back with my own favourite later as I don't know what it is! Well I think I do but.......oh well.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:24 (Ref:683180)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques on the outside of TGF at Estoril 1997.
Mika's pass on TGF at Spa 2000.
Senna on the outside of Wendlinger(i think) at Donington 1993.
Piquet's pass on Senna at Hungary 1986.
Almost forgot this one: Mansell's execution of Piquet with that perfectly timed fake move and pass on the inside at Silverstone. (was that 1987?)

Out of the five, i think Mika's pass was the nicest.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 8 Aug 2003 at 19:31.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:28 (Ref:683186)   #3
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell past Senna at Hungary
Mansell past Piquet at Silverstone
Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel-can't remember the track.
Hakinnen at Spa past MS

Mansell has taken a lot of criticism over the year for being a whiger, but he couldn't half race!!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:37 (Ref:683205)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as above plus,
Mansell on Berger Mexico 1990, around the outside of the Peraltada. Awesome move!

While the Senna/Mansell 1991 Barcelona moment was a classic the move itself wasn't really all that, he just outbroke Senna on the way into turn one.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:39 (Ref:683206)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Mansell's execution of Piquet with that perfectly timed fake move and pass on the inside at Silverstone. (was that 1987?)
Yep, that one's on my 'wants list' for Sato San!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:43 (Ref:683208)   #6
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Senna on the outside of Wendlinger(i think) at Donington 1993.

As good as Senna was in that race, he had traction control and Wendlinger didn't. In the wet, that makes a huge difference. I'm not saying Senna was great that day, of course he was, but I think Estoril 85, when the conditions were much worse, was a better performance. He thought so too.

My favourite pass was Montoya on Raikkonen/Ralf at Canada 2002.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:46 (Ref:683210)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSal
Mansell past Senna at Hungary
Mansell past Piquet at Silverstone
Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel-can't remember the track.
Hakinnen at Spa past MS

Mansell has taken a lot of criticism over the year for being a whiger, but he couldn't half race!!

Mansell was far more talented than people make out. So was Damon Hill. The only reason people thought they didn't have natural ability was because they were racing against Senna (Mansell) and Schumacher (Hill). Am I the only one who thinks Damon had talent?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:15 (Ref:683239)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Nope!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:25 (Ref:683244)   #9
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya on Trulli on the outside of the first corner in
San Marino 2002 (or was it 2001? )

Who said that we couldn't overtake in Imola?

Last edited by ElScOrChO; 8 Aug 2003 at 20:26.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:37 (Ref:683255)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damon was talented, you don't win championships by being rubbish. He just wasn't Schumacher!

More on-topic, his move on Schuey at Hungary 1997 wasn't too shabby!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:38 (Ref:683256)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by ElScOrChO
Montoya on Trulli on the outside of the first corner in
San Marino 2002 (or was it 2001? )

Who said that we couldn't overtake in Imola?
2001. What about Monty's move on Schuey at Brazil that year as well? Those two races gave us a taster of things to come!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:49 (Ref:683265)   #12
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's pass on Schu at Brazil in 2001 has to be right up there. It was only his 3rd ever GP!

Just a shame that Verstappen was racing that day!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:03 (Ref:683276)   #13
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon is right Mansell on Berger Brazil Wonderful
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:07 (Ref:683278)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Bernies head: "What's going on? Where am i? Who took my false teeth?!"
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:13 (Ref:683282)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wrong forum i know. but surely theres no contest?

zanardi and "the pass" on herta at the corkscrew.

Last edited by kdr; 8 Aug 2003 at 21:13.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:19 (Ref:683287)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mansell's execution of Piquet with that perfectly timed fake move and pass on the inside at Silverstone
*sigh* I was there. 100yds from Stowe, they were side-by-side in front of me. Wow!

But the best of all time? Difficult question. Round the outside at Peraltada must be close because it shouldn't be possible, same for Senna around the outside of Craner Curves in the rain.

One other thought, not for spectacle, but for sheer audaciousness, JV on Schumi at Jerez. Circuit where overtaking is almost impossible, the championship riding on it, knowing TGF will probably try to take him off, and only one chance.

Last edited by Woolley; 8 Aug 2003 at 21:19.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:28 (Ref:683294)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If anyone hasn't seen the Piquet VS Senna move at Hungary 1986, you HAVE to see it, its is a spectaular move with the emphesis on "Sp".
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:30 (Ref:683296)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yep, after looking through some videos, it has to be Mansells Peraltada move. The sheer speed was incredible - you could see the offline dust billowing from the tyres!
Awe inspiring!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:683299)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
In Bernies head: "What's going on? Where am i? Who took my false teeth?!"

What the hell????

What's this doing in here?? :confused:

I could have sworn that i was reading the 'Any guesses out there?' thread when i pressed that 'Post Reply' button...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 8 Aug 2003 at 21:37.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:51 (Ref:683306)   #20
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell on Piquet at Silverstone has to be the best one, nothing like beating your teammate with a pass like that. Mansell on Berger at Hermanos is a close second, and Mansell/Senna Hungary 89 and Hakkinen at Spa are tied for third. Most of the other pass don't even come close.

IIRC the Arnoux/Villeneuve (The Good One) battle from 79 had few good on the edge passes as well, though I don't remember the details compeltely.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:39 (Ref:683331)   #21
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Montoya over Raikkonen last year in Hockenheim? That was really something. They raced wheel to wheel over three corners, until Montoya finally got him.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:50 (Ref:683337)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I quite liked Rubens move on Raikkonen into Bridge at Silverstone, forcing Kimi into a mistake but a move that had been lined up for half a lap!

Another good Rubens move was a couple of years ago on the old Hockenheim, around the outside of DC coming into the stadium section.

And of course there was MIka on Schumi at Spa and Gilles vs Arnoux at Dijon.

But what about Senna on Prost at Suzuka 88? A pass for the championship lead between two of the best ever! Awesome!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:56 (Ref:683345)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles vs Arnoux.

Of the modern times, who has passed on the outside? None other than Jacques on Michael, Estoril 96!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 23:16 (Ref:683359)   #24
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM and Woobens managed to pass on the outside this year, and they didn't need Johnny Carwash's help.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:30 (Ref:683378)   #25
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet on Senna - Hungary 86!!!!