Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:00 (Ref:754498)   #1
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 ALMS Schedule

Mar. 15-20 – Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, 12 hours
June 25-27 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH, 2:45
July 2-5 – Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT, 2:45
July 16-18 – Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA, 2:45
July 23-25 – Portland (OR) International Raceway, 2:45
Aug. 6-8 – Mosport International Raceway, Bowmanville, ON, Can., 2:45
Aug. 20-22 – Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI, 2:45.
Sept. 22-25 – Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA, Petit Le Mans, 1,000 miles or 10 hours
Oct. 14-16 – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA, 2:45
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:14 (Ref:754515)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2004 ALMS Schedule

The ALMS announced this just today...

The 2004 American Le Mans Series Schedule of Events
Mar. 15-20 Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, 12 hours
June 25-27 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH, 2:45
July 2-5 Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT, 2:45
July 16-18 Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA, 2:45
July 23-25 Portland (OR) International Raceway, 2:45
Aug. 6-8 Mosport International Raceway, Bowmanville, ON, Can., 2:45
Aug. 20-22 Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI, 2:45.
Sept. 22-25 Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA, Petit Le Mans, 1,000 miles or 10 hours
Oct. 14-16 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA, 2:45

Notable:

Trois-Rivieres and Miami are gone...

Portland is a new "we're back" that goes with the earlier Mid-Ohio announcement....

Lime Rock over the July 4 weekend is new....

Your Thoughts?????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:21 (Ref:754520)   #3
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, as I posted on the IMSA forum, here are my thoughts:

Still all 2:45 races except Sebring and PLM. No races between Sebring and JULY!!! (Taking their traditional break). I'm happy for the folks who get to see Lime Rock and having Portland back is "nice", but there is still a huge hole in the schedule.
They dropped the ball in my opinion. With 2004 being a transitional year for from LMP900/675 to LMP1/2 they could have at least added longer races to show they are at least trying. "Traditional" break, BS, last year happened because they screwed the pooch on Mexico and Washington not because it is some tradition.

Some will think this a great schedule. Don't count me amoung them. Anything short of putting some sort of race on between Sebring and July is a complete failure.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:26 (Ref:754523)   #4
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hey what happened to Trios Riviere and wasn't the DC race supposed to be back and what about the mexico race, and shouldn't Petit leman be after laguna seca in october?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:27 (Ref:754526)   #5
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The schedule looks a little like a "summer league".
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:30 (Ref:754529)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well obviously, GrandAm is the Main Event now.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:30 (Ref:754530)   #7
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
as i posted on the other thread, what in the world happened and why isn't the petit lemans the final race of the ALMS, why is it before laguna seca and what ever happened to the DC race and the Mexico race that were cancelled this year. and why have lime rock, that track is terrible and isn't up to the safety standards of the other tracks, the walls at lime rock are too close to the track. and why get rid of trios riviere. i would have gone after Mont Tremblot or the Montreal circut and Barber Motorsports Park. and why portland, it has those stupid noise rules
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:31 (Ref:754531)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guess you beat me to it. :P Interesting schedule. Glad to see Miami axed. That track just seemed a bit too tight. Not a big fan of Portland, but glad to see the northwest get a race. Still two races in California though! One thing, why remove Petit Le Mans as the season ending final? That seems like a great race for the season finale. Although, I'll be at Laguna Seca!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:31 (Ref:754532)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC wasn't going to come back. Lookslike there is too much local opposition.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:54 (Ref:754552)   #10
LouisTheShark
Racer

With Silverstone being September 12, PLM in September will likely mean again little or no European entries.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:58 (Ref:754557)   #11
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm Mosport is earlier than past few years....

How does this schedule overlap with LMES?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:04 (Ref:754562)   #12
LouisTheShark
Racer

There are no overlaps in dates but some back to back weekends. I don't think you are going to see anyone run both series unless they maintain seperate operations.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:07 (Ref:754564)   #13
LouisTheShark
Racer

The good news here is at least we finally see a schedule that likely will be just like announced. I think that would be a first for the ALMS.

As tightly packed as the schedule is, it does flow pretty well for teams. No cross country back to back weekends.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:20 (Ref:754580)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
You can say, one extremely disappointed fan here.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:32 (Ref:754594)   #15
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow that's one odd schedule. No race's for 3 month's after Sebring then 6 race's in 2 month's...
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:03 (Ref:754616)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't want to express my thoughts in the opening thread, because I didn't want to influence anyone's thinking...

I couldn't agree more...I am VERY disappointed in this lineup....I've never been to Lime Rock, but from what I've seen on TV it looks short, tight, and rough...although the terrain sin't too bad....I don't think it will be conducive to good racing for these cars...

I'm also not a big fan to Portland's return....again, I've never been there, but the course as I've seen it on TV does not impress me....

Canada deserves more than one race as well....

Finally, there should be some sort of early or mid-April date on a circuit in a warm climate....if it's done, the circuit they are building south of Dallas or maybe even Barber Park (but the straights aren't very long there, either)....

VIR would be the best of any April options though...It can be pretty nice in Virginia in April, and by running the long course, the teams could even learn a little that might help them for set-ups for the Le Mans Test Days....

If they're going to run the July 4 weekend, why not pick a longer course and do a 6 hr event or a 1,000 km or something???

I'll watch all of them, but I'm not happy with the schedule.....

Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:18 (Ref:754628)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Miami is gone, as is Mexico (CART connection). Washington is still on a low burner, won't happen until at least 2005. PLM has been before Laguna before (2000 and 1999).

Still two big holes in the schedule, between Sebring and Test Day (4 available weekends) and between Road America and PLM (4 available weekends).

Laguna is actually 4 hours (just corrected on the website).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:35 (Ref:754641)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisTheShark
The good news here is at least we finally see a schedule that likely will be just like announced.
Definitely a good thing. I see two holes, and no hookup with CART. I can see them adding races in the future, and that's a much better proposition than the loss of races that's happened in the past.
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisTheShark
As tightly packed as the schedule is, it does flow pretty well for teams. No cross country back to back weekends.
This would be why Trois Rivieres is dropped - with it always 3 weeks before Road America's traditional date, and 1 week after Sears Point's traditional date, it required that there be a crazy cross-country haul and back-to-back weekends involving Mosport (a Panoz-owned track).

From a Mosport perspective, Trois Rivieres crowded the schedule, so I'm not too disappointed.

Interesting that Sears Point is moved a week to make room for Portland. Also, since Portland has some noise ordinance in place, what does this mean for CART? I understand they wanted to return...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:38 (Ref:754643)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er Silverstone is Sept 12 now for LMES and not Spa?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:43 (Ref:754647)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Russ, I believe Louis is mistaken.

9 May, Monza
11 July, Nürburgring
15 August, Silverstone
12 September Spa

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:44 (Ref:754648)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Silverstone is in Aug. and Spa is in Sept....the original Spa date was in conflict with the F-1 Belgian Grand Prix

Old 17 Oct 2003, 18:52 (Ref:754653)   #22
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one am happy with Lime Rock...you can look back and see how many sportscar races have been run there, it is a historic and very appropriate course to run on...besides at 1.5 miles it is the same size or bigger than all the street courses that are now gone...

Do you think Grand am will get 3 rivers now that ALMS has backed back off of it?

I do agree that the schedule is lacking.

I dont like Petit being before Laguna Seca. I dont like the all sprint race format when the series was supposed to be making a more endurance turn...

I do like Lime rock for 2 reasons...one its my home track, 2 it really is a fun and beautiful course and I know the promotor will not be disappointed with the ticket sales...

I would have liked to seen about 12 races though, including mexico and Long beach wouldve been a hoot!

Oh yeah lastly...LRP might be kinda slow (look for 45 second or so lap times) but it is definitely not bumpy.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:14 (Ref:754668)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
If Grand Am goes back to Trois Rivieres, will they maintain Mont-Tremblant? And what about the possibility of them going to Mosport? Apparently that was circulated on a "tentative schedule" for next year in the paddock at VIR. Three Canadian races for GARRA?

...I doubt that they'll do three - I could see two. Perhaps GARRA will go to 3R in place of Mosport (with whatever political headaches that avoids). Assuming that the 3R race is still there (smoking legislation and all that).

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:27 (Ref:754681)   #24
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the schedule. I think it is a positive step in the right direction to bring stability.

And I can only think that it is a very solid schedule can be added too.

I'm very happy about it. It is the schedule that 'should have been' a couple years ago.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:34 (Ref:754689)   #25
fia289
Rookie

Canada
fia289 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem with 3 Rivieres, is that they have been without an event sponsor for the last 3 years, they were receiving compensation due to the anti-tobaco laws, but the money has run out. Hence the race is in jeoperdy, they were supposed to have found someone but no confirmation so far.

Fred