Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2002, 07:00 (Ref:239049)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone no-one has thought of

Regarding McLaren-Mercedes driver line-up for next year, numerous names have been thrown about as to who will line up for the Macs in 2003 and beyond.

Raikkonen appears a dead-cert to still be in the car, as going by his first two performances, he still has plenty to find. So that leaves one car.

Names like DC, Wurz, Panis and Heidfeld (and Hakkinen) have been the names to pop up so far on this forum, but there is one driver, who up to now has been ignored, who could, quite realistically, stand a chance of a Mercedes drive next year, or in the near future at least.

His name:

Mark Webber

Now before you all start laughing and throwing jibes my way, just take note. Mercedes love Webber ever since he drove their sportscars and they were the ones who told him he should abandon sportscars and go race F3000 to achieve his dream of F1.

Also don't forget that Mercedes took a big gamble by taking on Webber, investing much time and effort in him, plus a fair bit of money, while he raced in Formula 3 in Britain, and also when he raced sportscars. And, so far, he has delivered on every promise he has made.

I think it would be rather nice if it came full circle for Webber and he did end up driving another Mercedes powered car (and this one would have little chance of flipping on him).
Old 19 Mar 2002, 07:39 (Ref:239060)   #2
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Someone no-one has thought of

It would be great if he'd ever get the chance... considering he's not being paid by Minardi, same goes for Yoong and Benoldi who is not being paid by the Arrows and only receive money from their sponsors.

But don't forget that there are a pool of rookies the Mercedez can eye for. Heidfeld most probably will be their first option if they decided to ditch DC. Hmmm...i have a gut feeling that Rubens might be replaced by Heidfeld next year..who knows.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:26 (Ref:239074)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the odds of Lewis Hamilton being promoted straight from FRenault in 2003?
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:37 (Ref:239076)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the future, perhaps...

I thought he was on loan from Renault?

I don't think Panis has much of a chance since he seems content with BAR. And if they didn't take on Wurz this year, they'll probably keep him out of the grid next year too. So I think it'll be just the usual suspects in contention.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:04 (Ref:239096)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think DC will stay, to be honest....and Kimi is doing a decent job. The main reason I think DC will stay, is because there are no other race winning teams with vacant seats....

But yes, I have given the Webber-McLaren possibility some thought. There is no reason it won't happen, but I think it's more likely Renault will loan him to Sauber or Arrows perhaps...
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:09 (Ref:239098)   #6
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE: Someone no-one has thought of

it would be great to see him in a mclaren or any top team for that mater - if it wasn't for the car stuffing up he would have 2 top ten finishes in his first two races in f1... not bad for a rookie!

somehow i doubt it though *sighs*...
well, a girl can dream can't she????????

its now...
12 days,
8 hours and
57 minuets till the Brazilian GP

GO MARK WEBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AUSS1E, AUSS1E, AUSS1E, O1! O1! O1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ozrevhead; 19 Mar 2002 at 09:12.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:10 (Ref:239099)   #7
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant see webber going to mclaren.
first he is under contract to renault, and ron does not like loaned drivers.
secondly, when webber split from mercedes, the split was less than amicable
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:26 (Ref:239108)   #8
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Webber have a realistic chance of moving up from Minardi? Alonso drove probably aswell as anyone could at that team and is now a test driver...
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:16 (Ref:239165)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron will probably realize soon (if he hasn't allready)
that he HAS to buy in a true star driver.His cars can't be relied on to be the fastest anymore!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:02 (Ref:239204)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: Someone no-one has thought of

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Hmmm...i have a gut feeling that Rubens might be replaced by Heidfeld next year..who knows.
i think that ron would rather pay nick a "retainer" for the rest of his career than lose him to ferrari, even if he doesn't want to have him in the silver arrows!

it would be great to see webber at mclaren next season, but remember this, mercades also paved the way for a certain michael schumacher, and he's never sat in a merc powered car since!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:06 (Ref:239206)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Well, I think DC will stay, to be honest....and Kimi is doing a decent job. The main reason I think DC will stay, is because there are no other race winning teams with vacant seats....

it won't be his decision it will be ron's, and i think, like alot of us, he's had more than a fair crack at the title and never managed it! unfortunatly for dc, with all these up and coming young stars now in f1, the only way is down!