Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 May 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1910175)   #26
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
There's a nice long train of vehicles behind you cos they're not supposed to undertake you.

How about overtaking them in the outside lane if they're doing less than the limit?
I've obviously not making myself clear - normally I'm in the outside lane And there's a train of cars behind and infront of me.
It's when there's heavy traffic and I'm in the outer train. If I was travelling close to the car infront there'd be no accusation of lane hogging, it would be clear that I'm still in the process of overtaking. It's people who think that large gap infront of me is an indication of lane hogging - no, I'm travelling at the same speed of the other cars in the lane.

Oh, and bella - often I don't have the access to the inner lane because the lorry infront of me in the nearside lane is less than a safe stopping distance away. Still people decide to undertake though

It is a very much on the facts, it's hardly like it's every week. Just on those rare occasions it does happen, it really annoys me, because I then *do* have to slow down to less than the speed in the lane to regain a suitable stopping distance. You'll just have to trust me it's not lane hogging, I hate it as much as the next person Indeed, if the car at the very front of the train wasn't lane hogging, I wouldn't be in that lane doing less than the maximum safe speed....

It's just the most obvious example of people not realising how much stopping distance is required - and this lack of awareness as a whole annoys me. Example - the other day I ended up following three cars travelling together in a space that you shouldn't have had 2 cars. And the front car didn't have it's boot securely fashioned. If something had fallen out of it, we'd have had a 2 car RTA...
Old 10 May 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1910190)   #27
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
you know, you don't need to leave 2 seconds gap if you have somewhere to go in the event of heavy braking, for example the empty lane beside you...
Old 10 May 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1910252)   #28
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who brake when they don't need to on motorways. JUST ease off the throttle!
Old 10 May 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1910265)   #29
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and the people who brake behind them "just cos the people in front did" when it's not necessary...!
Old 10 May 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1910266)   #30
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
them

*******s...
Old 10 May 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1910334)   #31
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who indicate 2 miles before the turning they intend to take.

My Grandad used to do this when he was driving, and at the speed he drove, 15 minutes would pass before he makes the turn.
Old 10 May 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1910397)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is annoying, but not as annoying as not indicating. At best these are used as confirminators if used at all.
Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

It would also be nice if people indicated when about to leave a roundabout, especially as most cross lanes to do so. Doing so gives a useful piece of information to any waiting to join a roundabout from the following exit and thus aids the flow of traffic. I guess people are too stupid to realise this and too selfish because it has no direct benefit to themselves.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.
Old 10 May 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1910403)   #33
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
On the subject of roundabouts, Adam's reminded me of something - people who have poor lane discipline at marked roundabouts.

What I meant is the sort where there are three lanes (and the roundabout is normally traffic light controlled), the inside one marked for being the next exit, and the outer 2 for the following exit.
After the first exit, the two outer lanes are meant to move over into the two inner lanes. However, those people in the middle lane stay in the middle lane. So, if I'm in the outside lane, I either have to switch lanes into another flow of traffic to get into the correct lane to take the exit; or end up in the wrong line and having to do another lap of the roundabout. Meanwhile, the inside lane is all but empty.
Old 10 May 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1910414)   #34
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Asp, there seems to be a recurring theme with you and inside lanes being empty.
Old 10 May 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1910416)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Asp, people seem to find driving round roundabouts incredibly difficult I think. It is inherently simple yet balls up more often than not. It doens't give you much hope for the future of mankind.
Old 10 May 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1910434)   #36
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Asp, people seem to find driving round roundabouts incredibly difficult I think. It is inherently simple yet balls up more often than not. It doens't give you much hope for the future of mankind.
I'm not surprised - some roundabouts are intentionally confusing. Especially ones like Swindon's "Magic Roundabout" (there's one near me too - if you're not expecting it you will end up in the wrong lane).

To be fair, some roundabouts like I mentioned above show markings around the bends of the roundabout so it's clear that the middle lane "becomes" the inside lane - which is much easier (especially if you don't know the road) and, more to the point, works. Perhaps I should be moaning at the Highways Authority more for not making this commonplace...

Oh, and ensign?
Old 10 May 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1910441)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So maybe it is more the inability of people to drive between two white lines?
Old 10 May 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1910653)   #38
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yes, like the new roundabout near where I work, where traffic coming from the my left seem to totally ignore the traffic coming from their right, going straight on or turning right (even when indicating) from the junction I come from. I go round there with my heart in my mouth almost every time, such is my mistrust of other traffic on there.
Old 10 May 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1910683)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I crossed the road walking at Swindon't roundabout and it confused me just doing that. Glad I wasn't driving around it.

Next hate: People you're overtaking on a roundabout who forget to leave a car's width alongside themselves, ie the bit of road you're using.
Old 10 May 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1910695)   #40
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Another pet hate is when on a motorway and one of the lanes is coned off with miles of warning, you will always get the people that will allmost knock the cones down to push in . The lorry drivers try to sort them out fortunately.
The scaletric first lane as some have pointed out is awkward, especially with my racebox as the wheel track is different to the tow truck and constantly fishtails .
Old 11 May 2007, 02:47 (Ref:1910765)   #41
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Asp]I've obviously not making myself clear /QUOTE]
Perfectly clear here, I had a similar experience on Easter Monday heading back down the Hume Hwy into Melbourne (along with a few thousand other people). With 2 lanes you have the trucks, caravans etc in the left/inside/slow lane doing various amounts below the speed limit (70mph), some doing 60mph, some doing 50mph, some even slower.

The volume of traffic is such that there is a solid line of traffic in the right/outside/fast lane. Sometimes there will be a gap between vehicles in the left lane, but if you move into the left lane the vehicle behind you moves up and you are stuck in the left lane doing 50-60mph until there is a gap in the right lane to get moving again, which could be 10-15min time in heavy traffic. Unless you force your way in, cutting in front of someone who is already tailgating... Times like these you wish for another lane (or two)
Old 11 May 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1910816)   #42
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
People who drive behind you on the A10 with lights on full beam aka last night - why? Blinding!

And people who are reversing off the A10 sliproad back to the roundabout...
Old 11 May 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1911072)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Another pet hate is when on a motorway and one of the lanes is coned off with miles of warning, you will always get the people that will allmost knock the cones down to push in . The lorry drivers try to sort them out fortunately.
I agree with this, but conversley people who dive into the remaining lane early can cause problems (in heavy queuing traffic). You end up with a single file queue in one lane, effectively halving the road capacity on a two lane road. If this road has junctions or roundabouts on it the queue can stretch back onto a junction and roundabout whereas if people queued in both lanes you can fit more cars on and then people file into the single remaining lane from alternate lanes.

Of course that is open to abuse by prats and requires sense and responsibility from people, so it is a method that is doomed to failure.

I try to keep the capacity of the road at a maximum without pushing my way further up the queue. It is difficult to acheive and embarrasing - a truck driver has more, er, persuasion to acheive this!
Old 11 May 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1911104)   #44
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
'Course, it doesn't help when they cone off 3 miles of motorway with a 50 limit when there are approximately zero workers around. I get overtaken by all the middle lane ******s whom I then blast back when it goes back to 70, as they dutifully follow their patron saint St Tosspot at 60ish passim.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1911532)   #45
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the way to Brands Hatch last month there was someone reversing up the slip road from the M20 (?) on to a very busy roundabout.

You also learn after several years of using roundabouts never to take anyone's indication or car position as an idea of where they are going to exit. Only last week I had someone indicate to go off one exit of a roundabout to continue on round to the next.
Old 12 May 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1911542)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
You also learn after several years of using roundabouts never to take anyone's indication or car position as an idea of where they are going to exit. Only last week I had someone indicate to go off one exit of a roundabout to continue on round to the next.
Just to clarify: I am not saying you should take it as gospel only as an indication that something might happen. It is still a useful piece of information and not providing that information shows a driver to be a driver who find driving difficult, one who is too dim to know better, selfish, or a combination of those.
Old 12 May 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1911573)   #47
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have quite a few pet peeves on the road:
-People who dawdle at stop lights. When the light turns green start moving, and not a slow leisurely movement, get going or get out of my way.
-People who can't wait 5 seconds for me to pass, so they pull out in front of me and proceed to go slower than I was going.
-People who plug up the fast lane on the interstate because they cannot pass.
-Truck drivers who believe because they are driving a bigger vehicle they can generally act like idiots and not pay attention to what they're doing. They're in the minority, but there's still a lot out there.
-People who go 70 miles per hour no matter where they are. It's lovely to have them fly past you like a maniac on a two-lane and then when the road goes to a four-lane 2 miles later have to pass them back.
-Teenage motorcyclists
-People who are intoxicated and driving. A kid high on pot backed into my dad's truck at an intersection, it was not fun.

J.D.
Old 12 May 2007, 14:40 (Ref:1911687)   #48
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rant over, on the roads its people that give you the impression they may be taking an exit due to indicators then going completley the opposite direction
Old 12 May 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1911728)   #49
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
people who don't drive like the germans.
They are not that good anymore Bella. The fast driving bunch of Germans gets smaller every year and the "roadhogs" group bigger.

I curse the weekly drive to and from the company, because the hogs will swerve out inches in front of you when you come flying on the outside lane (if you ever find a free-ish Autobahn).

Furthermore I hate people who drive for miles and miles in the middle / outer lane, drive slowly without paying attention, bus drivers overtaking lorries on motorways (Dutch and Polish once are the worst), people who drive fast near schools (I really hate them) or in town centres.

And I can't stand the archetypical tourist.
Old 13 May 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1912136)   #50
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant stand:

People driving 10km/h or more under the limit
2 cars doing the same slow speed in the only two lanes
People who try to block you from going past them
'P' platers.... most newbies on the road just drive plain stupid