d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT Cruiser

hi there

i currently run a pt cruiser and have a big problem i need help with

i need to find a drivers seat (any ideas)
i slammed the door and the airbag went off and wrecked the seat
it's just out of warrenty(typical) so i will probably have to buy one

any help appreciated

also there was another problem with the seats

when i went around roundabouts the heated seats turned themselves on and the seat lights flashed (which chrysler said is impossible)

any ideas ?

thanks

db
Old 8 Jul 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1957228)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think your only realistic option will be a long and tedious trawl through all your local breakers and scrappers.

Then I'd sell it and buy something that doesn't try to kill you whenever you go near it...
Old 9 Jul 2007, 21:56 (Ref:1959120)   #3
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
do you think i should call it Christine then?

db
Old 9 Jul 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1959155)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I used to know a girl called Christine who was about the size of a PT Cruiser...
Old 10 Jul 2007, 00:52 (Ref:1959204)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
and as ugly?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1959208)   #6
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Chrysler not going to come to the party? I would imagine they would like to know what accidentally set of an airbag in one of their cars if nothing else
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1959351)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-b
i currently run a pt cruiser and have a big problem i need help with
Yes, you run a PT Cruiser.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1959416)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How did the airbag wreck the seat? If it can damage a seat what's it going to do to a person? I thought they were a safety measure- dosn't sound safe to me!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1959691)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
spoke to an rac man a bit ago who used to work in a dealership. when they returned air bags to the manufacturer they had to be detonated before receiving. to detonate them, they were instructed to stand at least 10 metres clear and wear safety protective equipment.

all of which is obviously an option when you're having an accident...
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:58 (Ref:1959694)   #10
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume it was an airbag within the seat then?

How far out of warranty was it? often you can get some sort of 'goodwill' out of the dealer where they cover part of the repair. It could also be a recall issue, that sounds kinda dangerous....and stuff.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Jul 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1959826)   #11
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
yep it was the seat airbag
it split the seat from the headrest down the side

Chrysler say they want to inspect the car as the bloke in the dealership said "thats a weird one"
its about 9 months out of guarantee so i will have to see what they say when they see it

it was quite interesting when it went off
there was a big bang and i went temporarily deaf in one ear followed by some smoke and i look round to find an airbag looking at me

don't want to go through that one again

db
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1959984)   #12
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, think you might find them quite helpful, they don't want that sort of thing in the press after all do they?

(Old person voice..) Seat airbag? whatever next???
Old 11 Jul 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1960317)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
(Old person voice..) Seat airbag? whatever next???
Knee airbag, under the steering column - on new Toyotas and some others.

I assume the next thing will be a system to fill the entire car interior with foam, like on an old Sylvester Stallone movie Demolition Man, now that would be an experience!
Old 16 Jul 2007, 03:35 (Ref:1964047)   #14
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the suggestion of contacting some press would be a good idea, assuming this happened as you state, with no funny business, as around here in Canada/N.A something like this would definately get a manufacturer's attention if exposed.

very worrying frankly that something could happen like this, all the best getting some proper recognition of the incident etc
Old 17 Jul 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1966124)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-b

Chrysler say they want to inspect the car as the bloke in the dealership said "thats a weird one"
its about 9 months out of guarantee so i will have to see what they say when they see it
That's the wrong attitude. They are going to put a new seat in you car. Forget the warranty, that could have injured you.