Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Jul 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1969764)   #1
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Deer In Your Area !

We have a large number of deer in my area (Kent) and after hitting and killing one yesterday (doing my road car no favours) I wonder if this is a nationwide problem. I will add this is not the first time this has happened to me !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1970346)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
deer are overrunning the country where i live. They say in the eastern USA that deer populations are way higher than before europeans arrived and that is due to us improving the land and letting forests grow. While riding on a level bike path last mouth I almost hit one on my mountain bike when he jumped in front of me. I saw one strike a car driving along in front of me. The deer actually jumped up into the car, smashed the drivers mirror, flew over the car and landed in front of me. Deer hunting season can't be far enough away.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1970418)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we have loads of them round here (east angular), always have done. luckily they're quite streetwise now and stick to the fields.

can't say the same for rabbits though. there's many many thousands of the little toe rags, and the big ones aren't so good if you have low bodywork on your car :/
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1970477)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happened to me as well Gordon a long time ago. Totalled my car as I hit it up the b*m at full speed on the motorway. Luckily it went under and not over or in.

But yes, even here or in Germany it is a nation wide problem.

But, I had my revenge over the years in many restaurants.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1970501)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Its not going to be wasted Eddy. A couple of my mates got it into a van and within a couple of hours it was already butchered up. But it would have been cheaper to have paid for it compared to the price of the repairs. I hit one a few years back at about 90mph. It jumped over a hedge on to the bonnet and came through the screen. That was serious ! These have all been full grown jobs and not the small monkjack type.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 22 Jul 2007 at 20:37.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1970504)   #6
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me about it, that crash caused me to stop racing for that season as I could buy me another road car and the insurance didn't pay for wildlife accidents.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1970521)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Racing caused this ! I've just come back for next weekends Toca at Snett I should have stopped in Spain. Mind you I did go to the annual party at my sponsors last night, talk about a p**s up in a brewery! Right must look at the Moto GP cheers.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1970950)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep same problem in North Herts - some good lanes where I live but did get a shock one day to come across a deer which thankfully missed. There are rabbits all over the field by my house / village / lanes into town too.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1970976)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I hit one a few years back at about 90mph.
Surely you mean:

"I hit one a few years back at about 60mph officer"

Deer is about the only wild species in Kent I haven't inadvertantly mown down at some point. Nearly hit one though - it legged it across the road straight in front of the car, didn't have time to brake (did have enough time to clench ).
Old 23 Jul 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1970992)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The used to be a herd of small deer around Ivinghoe near Dunstable, which I believe descended from some that escaped from Woburn Abbey. About 30 years ago I used to come back from Aylsbury, via the lanes (less plod), and frequently almost ended up in the ditch as 7 or 8 deer bounced across the road. I did end up in a ditch once - but that had nothing to with the deer.

I saw a Moose in Canada last year. You don't want to hit one of them!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1971093)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
BertMk2 I should have said this was in 1964 (70 limit introduced ) when I was 17, but being an old dodderer with a bus pass I forgot !
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1971130)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BertMk2 I should have said this was in 1964 (70 limit introduced ) when I was 17, but being an old dodderer with a bus pass I forgot !
I thought you said "a few years" not "back in the stone age" Did cars do 90mph back then (add in as many more "old" jokes as you like at this point)

Old cars were better for hitting wildlife: no crumple zones or airbags going off in your face - just lots of solid metal to bulldoze your way through! What was the car?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1971139)   #13
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Deer are constant here. Other hazards are Moose and Bears. A big bull Moose will usually win in an aguement with a car. It may die but there is a very good chance the car's occupants will too. Even drivers of 18 wheelers have been killed. A fairly new danger is the wild Turkeys. A big male in particular. They usually fly low and can take out a windshiels very easily.
Of course there are numerous groundhogs (IE. Mtl. GP) and skunks. Neither are likely to damage a car but you will probably have a very stinky car if you nail a skunk!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1971140)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Wait for it a Twincam Anglia van what else !
Old 23 Jul 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1971205)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I should have known
Old 24 Jul 2007, 05:42 (Ref:1971722)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Damn things are a pita. A couple of years ago now, running empty back to the yard where I used to work, one ran across in front of me. I thought ooooh... how cool and watched it run into the woods on the otherside of the road. At which point another - bigger, preumably the little fella's mum - ran across right in front of me. Caused me to get 5 tonnes of truck slewed at an impossible angle across the road and I had to take my chances and mount the footpath to miss the bloody thing. Very exciting.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1971754)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
If I see one I always stop or at brake like mad because there are normally two or three following. I've probably missed about 50 in the last 10 years but this one got me. I dont look at them as pretty Bambi's !
Old 24 Jul 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1972082)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plenty of them around my way, plus horses and cows strewn across the Forest. We generally have at least 2-3 fatalities every year from one or other of these animals appearing at no notice at all on the road. One chap was killed earlier this year (or was it last year?) when a car travelling the other way hit a deer, effectively bisecting it and flicking it into the air, one half going straight through the windscreen of a car travelling in the other direction. The poor sod had his wife beside him and his kids in the back. He sadly died, his family were (physically) uninjured..........
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1972242)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are becoming quite a menace and a massive cull is needed here in the states. I believe about 150 people a year get killed by deer in the USA.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1972243)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, my Aunt and Uncle live in New Milton, in the New Forest, and on the drive down there's always plenty about.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 17:00 (Ref:1972286)   #21
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
If I see one I always stop or at brake like mad
Something I do as well Gordon.
A few days after my wrecking my car, I came back one dark evening from the Ring via country lanes and all of the sudden there were 3 of them lurking at me in the middle of the road after a fast righthander.
I was driving a friend's car, him aboard, slammed the brakes and spun the thing around not to have a frontal impact. Don't know how I missed the deer, the trees or the ditch.
I only know when I got going again I must have been as pale as a clean sheet of freshly washed linnen.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1972534)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Christiano Da Matta's Road America shunt was caused by a deer.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1972568)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
jhansen Yes you are right but I think he may have been going a little bit faster than me. I was about to turn right and looking in my rear view mirror at about 25mph and the stupid thing came from the left. I dont know if Da Matta
will ever race in anger again. You dont expect to see them on a race circuit !
Old 24 Jul 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1972587)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But that's just it, you never expect to see them. From most accounts that I've read in the past, they just appear seemingly out of nowhere. Scarey stuff to be sure.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1972789)   #25
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just deer.

About three months ago a pheasant disemboweled itself on the front of my car - slid up the bonnet and windscreen, and (as the roof was down) deposited its messy remains in my wife's lap in the passenger seat.

For some reason she maintains it was all my fault!!