Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Aug 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1987285)   #1
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Weber help

I have tried posting this in road cars, to no avail.
Basically I have a Caterham with twin Weber 40 DCOEs which are misbehaving.
Does anyone know of a person near Leamington Spa who can sort this?

Thanks.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1987298)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I live 'down south' I can't help you with your request, but as you are now in the technology forum there may be someone here who can help you sort your problem.

First of all, what are the symptoms?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1987382)   #3
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
As I live 'down south' I can't help you with your request, but as you are now in the technology forum there may be someone here who can help you sort your problem.

First of all, what are the symptoms?
Lots of popping and banging.
Engine cuts out when cornering (interesting!)
Old 13 Aug 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1987395)   #4
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Float heights correct?
Fuel pressure correct?
Angle of mounting correct?
Rubber vibration dampers fitted and correctly adjusted (not too much crush, not too loose)?
Jetting correct?
Idle mixtures set correctly (by a proficient carb person - don't assume that mobile tuners actually know anything about carbs!)?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1987445)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Running too lean or timing too retarded or sucking in air somewhere it shouldn't or blocked jets. Check the inlet manifold isn't loose or even exhaust manifold leaks can cause these symptoms.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 13 Aug 2007 at 11:30.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1987636)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Has it got the old sandwich plates with O rings on both sides? If so throw them in the bin and buy the ones that have the rings bonded on. Webbers dont give a lot of trouble so are you sure its a carb problem ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Aug 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1987718)   #7
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be a fuel feed blockage; e.g. filter, dirt in the line/tank outlet.

However, the old dictum is never assume anything!

When Ford were selling the early Lotus Cortinas, Ford dealers were so perplexed by Webers (and twin O/H cams, etc), their first port of call was to always blame the Lucas distributor (Ford by then had bought Autolite and standard kit was their naff distributor; Yuk! And then the twin 40s.

Loads went back to the Parts Recall Centre at Dunton in Essex and well, sort of found their way onto loads of racers!

A Weber, being fixed jet, can only really "misbehave" as you state, if either a jet or internal drilling passage is blocked. Blow it all out with an airline.

If the carbs are very tired, then yes, the throttle butterflies can show wear: bushing will solve this, with a new shaft. Cheap as chips.

Probably something else.

The flexible joints really only prevent "Frothing" from vibration: which can of course fuel starvation.

Could be faulty ignition: find seomone with a decent rolling road and analyser (who knows what they are doing!) and can run the car under load.

Agree totally with Gordon re the Pirelli Joints: unlikely that yours is fitted with the sandwich plates, as they went out long before Caterham took the manufacturing license.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1987801)   #8
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Fletche
Lots of popping and banging.
Engine cuts out when cornering (interesting!)
Cornering problems - I would look at float levels first. Dead easy to do yourself.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1988456)   #9
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Throttle bodies?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1989129)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Patrick . Webers dont actually go wrong unless somebody has been sodding about with them. Apart from needle jets wearing ( doesn't seem your problem ) butterfly bushes do wear out but only after serious mileage.
They are very easy to work on as they were designed for racing and you can change jets and chokes quickly at the track. They are not very high tec and haven't changed much over the years. Wip the main jets out and check that they are clear . It sounds like a weak mixture that could easily be caused by something else (as has been pointed out by the other posts) Has the car been laid up and got stale fuel ? has it got any diesel in it ? you may laugh but I have seen this loads of times. Let us know and I am willing to bet that the actual carbs are ok. If its a crossflow make sure the inlet manifold gasket is ok. Last of all is this a new car to you and did it come with this trouble ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Aug 2007, 02:52 (Ref:1989299)   #11
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree Webers don't really fall out of tune, but a float being craked is not unheard of... (which would be the opposite problem to what you have)
Old 15 Aug 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1989336)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Notso haven't the solid plastic floats got round that side of the world yet
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1989939)   #13
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
D'oH, maybe, but I've been Fuel injection for a while... more than 15 years, infact.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1990228)   #14
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grichie87
Throttle bodies?
He might want the extra power that carbs will give, or perhaps his series requires carbs in the tech regs.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 02:09 (Ref:1990619)   #15
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
He might want the extra power that carbs will give, or perhaps his series requires carbs in the tech regs.
I don't know how anyone gets extra power out of carbs, indeed, a perfectly set up carb or TB should give exactly the same power. More power from a carb means the TB set up is wrong, simple as that. (Disclaimer statement: Of course TB's have less flow restrictions so they can offer less pressure drop for a required flow, which gives a greater potential for power, but that is miniscule compared to sizing the whole lot in the first place.)
At part throttle TB's are actually easier to set up, but a "perfect" carb should still get exactly the same power.

Tech regs, this is a legitimate reason, but power is not