Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 16 Sep 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1409232)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Australian Grand Prix Corporation To Launch Legal Action Against A1gp

From Australia's RaceNews service....

AGP
Sep 16 2005
AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX CORPORATION TO LAUNCH LEGAL ACTION AGAINST A1GP

~The Australian Grand Prix Corporation Chairman, Ronald walker today authorised proceedings to commence as a result of a break down in talks in London with A1GP’s lawyers.

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) believes that A1’s use of the phrase “A1 Grand Prix” infringes the Corporation’s intellectual property rights. Accordingly AGPC has instructed its lawyers to commence proceedings to protect these rights.

Ronald Walker said “It is unfortunate that the matter has come to this, however, the Corporation must protect its valuable intellectual property in relation to the Grand Prix”.

So do we think Bernie is also helping this along a little?? Mr Walker has been a known supporter of Mr E for a very long time...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Sep 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1409246)   #2
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they are p***ing in the wind.

A1 is not a trademark, neither is the term Grand Prix.
As pointed out somewhere else, the term Grand Prix is used in all manner of sports and not solely motorsport, and I cant see how Walker can justify his action, its not as if anyone owns the term solely for motorsport use.

I say goodluck to the new championship. You never know it may end up eclipsing F1 in terms of spectators globally and probably provide some very exciting racing rather than a load of poltical b*lox.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1409271)   #3
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly are they complaining about? I fail to see how anyone could mistake the Australian Grand Prix organisers for the A1GP series.

I could understand if it was an issue over A1GP calling their Aussie race the Australian Grand Prix but reading the blurb above that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sounds like a waste of time for everyone involved.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1409272)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I call shenanigans on this. Can't see him succeeding. Does Ron Walker own the phrase Australian Grand Prix? How does he cope with tennis events for example? I never got the impression Bernie wanted to squash the Sheikh, he probably does not like the idea of a competing series (albeit at different times) but he's probably more thinking how he coul nick the best aspects...certainly I don't remember any whispering campaigns.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1409292)   #5
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie errr I mean Ron threatened to do the same as this a few years ago to any breakaway manufacturer F1 series - at that point in time he stated that the AGP owned the phrase 'Grand Prix' and that they would not allow anyone else to use the term.

Pity that we have a motor cycle grandprix, bicycle grand prix, swimming grand prix - in fact this weekend in South Australia there is a Human Powered Grand Prix being run - I am surprised he hasn't already taken out an injunction to stop it (a kids event by the way!)
Old 16 Sep 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1409304)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Infuriating nonsense. Excessively rich and powerful men trying to become even richer and more powerful instead of using their wealth and power for the good of the sport. If only they realized that if they helped other areas out then everyone would benefit, and people may even start to like them as well.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1409342)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't see this getting very far.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1409367)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this really relate to anything. And the concept has been known for a long time now. Why bring this up just now?
Old 16 Sep 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1409441)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What a loser
Old 16 Sep 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1409460)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Does this really relate to anything. And the concept has been known for a long time now. Why bring this up just now?
Well, he did say they'd been in meetings, and these days you do not just shoot off a writ early doors. But the time taken has screwed him for injunctive relief (i.e. an order banning them from using the term "Grand Prix") and the best he can get is likely to be damages.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1409621)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sums up all I hate about Formula 1. What a pathetic man.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1409689)   #12
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is "Big Red" starting to lose it? Has he really divorced himself so far from reality?

I'm sure the encouraging ticket sales to date had something to do with him trying to install the odd legal barrier. Had it been a flop so far we would never have heard a word........................

I'm struggling to understand the logic behind it all. GTR can probably answer this, but what real grasp on the trademark "Grand Prix" (which doesn't apply here as they have never called themselves that in defference to Bernie) or "GP".

Will he start shutting down medical clinics? Is his next target the AMA (Aust.Medical Assoc.) for allowing it's members to use that hallowed acronym?

I'm sure this conflicted, political party bag man is going down one day in the mother of all corruption cases but until then we have to put up with this over-inflated hot air machine.

Last edited by Chucky; 17 Sep 2005 at 00:48. Reason: Added more ranting
Old 17 Sep 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1409778)   #13
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP has the backing of the FIA in both the format and the name. No one owns the words 'Grand Prix'. All Rob Walker has is the right for the title 'Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix'. How pathentic Walker is. He is justing money that could be spent better else where
Old 17 Sep 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1409796)   #14
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all dealings that our Historic Formula Atlantic & European F2 Association have had with the Australian organisers the official title is '' A1 Grand Prix of Nations '' which I believe is a registered trade mark.

Bryan Miller , Historic F/Atlantic & European F2 Assoc.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1410005)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This legal rambling about use of names is unbelievable for me...
Old 17 Sep 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1410036)   #16
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Grand Prix has been around for a couple of years in name. It seems that this Aussie is after publicity as this news broke one week before the first A1 race at Brands Hatch. Am I being cynical in thinking this?
Old 17 Sep 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1410038)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
It seems that this Aussie is after publicity as this news broke one week before the first A1 race at Brands Hatch. Am I being cynical in thinking this?
Not at all, IMO. I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1410040)   #18
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Not at all, IMO. I was thinking exactly the same thing.
He may also be in mourning after this past week!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1410167)   #19
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be bad enough if he were huffing and puffing locally, but to take this onto an international stage is just embarassing.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1410207)   #20
grumpy
Rookie

grumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Walker will win this one.They do own the brand through the fia as do all others how run F1 GPS for car races.This is why when there is two GPS in european countries you have say european gp and german gp all in germany because the original track and company own the right to use the term grand prix.Maybe they should not have implied they were going to be bigger than F1.Take 1 out of a1gp and what do you get.It is being called A1GP in there own PR.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1410224)   #21
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Mr Walker will win this one.They do own the brand through the fia as do all others how run F1 GPS for car races.This is why when there is two GPS in european countries you have say european gp and german gp all in germany because the original track and company own the right to use the term grand prix.Maybe they should not have implied they were going to be bigger than F1.Take 1 out of a1gp and what do you get.It is being called A1GP in there own PR.
No one owns the rights for the term Grand Prix. Here in the UK we have a Rallycross Grand Prix, Kart Grand Prix, Moto Grand Prix, Formula 1 Grand Prix, Truck Grand Prix and that is just in motorsport. We also have Atheltics Grand Prix, Showjumping Grand Prix, Swimming Grand Prix . The words Grand Prix means 'Big Prize.' Also the FIA has allowed A1GP to use the words Grand Prix in their sanctioning of the formula. The reason you have different names for two F1 races in the same country is so that people don't get confused. CCWS also uses the term Grand Prix for some of their races and I don't see any legal action against them. This legal action is just a whinging Aussie throwing his dummy out of the pram because he hasn't got the rights for the Austrailian leg of the series.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1410225)   #22
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether or not A1GP ever implied it was going to be bigger than F1 (did they ever do that?), Mr Walker's obviously feeling threatened by this new race series, otherwise why bother? The A1GP guys and gals must be rubbing their hands together - loads of publicity for the series, and some sort of admission from the Aus GP Corporation that the A1GP race is big enough and exciting enough to be compared to/mistaken for the Formula 1 Aus Gp!!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1410233)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking Umbridge !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
This legal action is just a whinging Aussie throwing his dummy out of the pram because he hasn't got the rights for the Austrailian leg of the series.
I object to this assertion ascar The man is incapable of such action...I believe Bernie has probably got his arm firmly up the back of this ventriloquists dummy
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1410918)   #24
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
I object to this assertion ascar The man is incapable of such action...I believe Bernie has probably got his arm firmly up the back of this ventriloquists dummy
I really doubt this as Walker has spent too many years in politics learning to shut up tight every orifice he can
Old 20 Sep 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1411838)   #25
grumpy
Rookie

grumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extramsn. 15/9/05. personal interview with news talk zb Shiek said, aand article is headed up"A1 Shiek aims to topple F1".In Australia the AGP corparation will win thier case if they continue to use A1GP in relation to asingle seater car race.What has happened to f1 boat racing once the Shiek lost interest and went looking for another play thing