Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jun 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1627141)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
where is Henry Taylor going (BTCC)

checking images from Thruxton for the spotters guide, I noticed that Henry Taylor has been replaced by Lewis Carter in the SEAT Cupra's.

Having a closer look I noticed at the end of a pres release that "Henry Taylor has left the SEAT Cupra Championship to compete in the second half of the BTCC"

Anyone know about this?
Old 4 Jun 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1627206)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few weeks ago Motorsport News reported that WSR would have a 3rd MG sorted for Croft with either Pickford, Eaves or Taylor set for the drive, so I guess it's that.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1627707)   #3
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it must be nice to have money
Old 5 Jun 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1627733)   #4
MadCat
Rookie

Wales
Warwick, UK
MadCat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see another new face enter the BTCC!

Oh to have money like newoutsider says!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1627885)   #5
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum, MadCat.

If he is WSR-bound, what's he like? Not heard much about him. But Team RAC need a solid driver to backup CT in the title race and take some points off those pesky Hondas!!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1628051)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off the top of my head think he was 5th in SCC last year - behind the 'big guns' of Ferrier, Boardman, Jackson and Breeze. So... similar level to someone like Blencowe perhaps?
Old 5 Jun 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1628052)   #7
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is (and I am presuming) it is - Henry Taylor was a key front-runner in the old Fiesta series and in the first year of the Clio series in 2000 but then he seemed to disappear off the radar after he switched to what was then ASCAR.

Never heard much after that....until Taylor appeared again in SEAT's.

It'll be interesting to see how he does should Henry be the 3rd driver.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1628347)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ideally I'd have Eaves in that car above Taylor, but another driver is another driver, and seemingly a perfectly capable one in a competitive car in this case. Am I right in thinking he's the nephew of the 60s racer Henry Taylor?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1628396)   #9
MadCat
Rookie

Wales
Warwick, UK
MadCat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF
Welcome to the forum, MadCat.
Thanks

I really hope Taylor has the pace to back up CT and sometimes RC ... Anything to keep those Hondas away from the front
Old 14 Jun 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1634230)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, as an old adversary of Henry's I'd be very very surprised if he's raised the money, he's always struggled with raising budgets and is known for a large number of "optimistic" press releases...
For the record, I am a touch biased as while I found him innocuous enough I found his family grossly unpleasant whenever I had the misfortune to talk to them... had great difficulty believing their precious offspring might have driven himself off the track unaided which resulted in threats of criminal proceedings against me at the final round at Silverstone (Clios 2000) for dangerous driving until someone remembered that there was an onboard camera in my car and they backed down immediately even before the footage was reviewed... (For the record the camera showed I was an innocent bystander and Henry had indeed made another mistake)
I would have Danny Buxton, Matt Jackson or Jim Edwards Jr in the car long before Henry... although as we know the BTCC is populated with those with the cash over those with the talent as Mr Eaves recently discovered...
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1634967)   #11
newoutsider
Racer

So Rick,

I take it you are not a fan of his then - or am I misreading you?!
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1634980)   #12
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On his day, he's not a bad driver.... he can be quick, but IMHO he never had the mental toughness to build a Championship run or any consistancy... that would be my main reason for taking one of the others in preference. He never came out of the rough and tumble well but if he could get in front and stay in front he was pretty good. Jim Jr for example would always find his way to the front and regardless of poor luck always seemed able to get his car into the points.
As I said, I have no problem with Henry, pretty harmless character and always pleasant enough, I just thought in the interest of unbiased reporting I should point out that I'd had a couple of run-ins with his family...
Old 15 Jun 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1635005)   #13
newoutsider
Racer

I see what you mean. It is sometimes a pity that drivers have a family.. I can think of a couple in the same catagory and on the other hand I've been lucky enough to meet some really nice ones - Lewis Hamilton's family (met them when he was still in FR) and Oli Wilkinson's Dad (when Oli was in SCC) come to mind.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1635007)   #14
Veteran

England
Zurich
You only have to look at the MSA magazine at the number of reports of Dad's thumping other Dads and kids at karting events... too many old men living thru their kids getting a bit caught up in the moment!
As I said, Henry's a nice lad, if he has found the budget I wish him all the very best of luck, he'll certainly be quicker than a lot of the rent-a-drivers!
Cheers