Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2549319)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Inconsistancies from the stewards - again?

Just wondering, Mark had to let Fernando (and Timo, due to position) back past after taking him on the outside of the circuit, but reviewing the start of the Spa race, Kimi entered the first turn, 4th, ran wide, off the circuit and rejoined 3rd, this allowed him a run on the 2nd placed car coming out of Eau Rouge, but no penalty. When is there going to be consistancy in F1? Or were the 2 incidents different and should be treated differently?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2549321)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 2 incidents should have been treated separately, i.e. Kimi should've been penalised but not Mark. Raikkonen definitely chose to go off the road at Spa. Webber had nowhere else to go today - Alonso went off as well. It's pretty much the same scenario as Monaco 2005, actually - no penalties handed out there
Old 27 Sep 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2549333)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Webber got the place back on Button in Valencia.It seems to work for and against you at times.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2549352)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well Mark got what he asked for at the previous street circuit as botty mentioned.

As mentioned in the Spa Kimi thread we don't know what was said in the driver's briefing. About first laps, specific corners, etc...

These penalties are distasteful, but I'm not really bothered about inconsistency. Especially as when it happened I thought that he would be penalised, I applied consistency.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2549406)   #5
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also thought about the same. In this one it seemed for me as Ferni pushed him outside the kerbs, however I'm not too sure now - I would have to watch it again.
Nevertheless, in 'selected driver quotes' even Mark compared it to Kimi/Spa:
"My race was heavily compromised from there. I thought the incident was fifty/fifty – but the stewards decided I had to let Fernando and Glock through, so I lost the hard work I’d done during my first stint. It was a hard penalty I think, Kimi did something similar in Spa and got away with it"
Old 27 Sep 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2549410)   #6
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the current FIA overtaking nonsense, Alan Jones would have come second in the 1979 French Grand Prix.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2549430)   #7
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber was robbed on this one. And Glock got a freebie, as he wouldn't have been able to make the move on Alonso if Alonso hadn't run wide, who only ran wide defending from Mark who was in front of him, just on the wrong side.

But we don't know what was said in the Drivers Briefing (as mentioned previously, Spa had some discussions about viable spots on the opening laps.)
Old 27 Sep 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2549435)   #8
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
inconsistensies?
how about: Renault almost getting a 1 race ban for sending out a car that has wheel problem vs nobody caring about Red Bull Racing sending out a car that has a brake problem.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2549448)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
inconsistensies?
how about: Renault almost getting a 1 race ban for sending out a car that has wheel problem vs nobody caring about Red Bull Racing sending out a car that has a brake problem.
I suspect that when RedBull sent Webber on his way that the brakes were fully operational,if a little on the worn side.It's not like someone said: "Oh look! the brake disc has completely disappeared!....off you go Mark!"

There were other cars in the race that also had obvious brake problems (Button's) but were 'managed' in order to finish the race.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2549449)   #10
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it shows just how stupid F1 is at the moment. F1 has pretty much no passing, A guy pulls a gutsy move around the outside !!!! It was on the hectic first lap and then he gets the double penalty of having to let 2 drivers through. Which turned into a triple penalty. When becuase of his road positon due to the penalty the saftey car buggered his race even more.

Also Fisi had a very similar incident later in the race and wasn't penilised !!!!!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2549457)   #11
scoobiesnoop
Rookie

England
UK
scoobiesnoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did seem a bit of a nasty penalty given KR's move at spa but then it's just what we have come to expect from the Stewards. I'm sure they just throw a coin up in the air and call, heads he's penalised, tails he gets away with it.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2549466)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The method which they use to decide which punishment to go for is based on this
Old 28 Sep 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2549470)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The method which they use to decide which punishment to go for is based on
Well at least they used a headless chicken,whereas the stewards seem to use a headless slug at times.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2549472)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
I think it shows just how stupid F1 is at the moment. F1 has pretty much no passing, A guy pulls a gutsy move around the outside !!!! It was on the hectic first lap and then he gets the double penalty of having to let 2 drivers through.
Agreed, does not do much for the prospect of racing.

As for comparisons with Button, IMO there is a difference between using the inside and outside of a corner, one is shortcutting, one is not.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 04:44 (Ref:2549498)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Kimi entered the first turn, 4th, ran wide, off the circuit and rejoined 3rd, this allowed him a run on the 2nd placed car coming out of Eau Rouge, but no penalty.

.......let it go V...
Old 28 Sep 2009, 06:07 (Ref:2549512)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I Just rewatched the telecast, and as far as I can tell, the only reason that Alonso was in the position that he was in was that he ran wide in turn one and had all of his wheels on the wrong side of the white line. So it has to be asked, why was this not penalised, especially as MB and JL stated just before the start of the race that the drivers had been warned about cutting turn one and would be penalised for doing so.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2549535)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
.......let it go V...
I find it hard enough to find things to post about on here nowadays as it is, when i do find something to talk about, i have to go for it
Old 28 Sep 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2549573)   #18
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
inconsistensies?
And Red Bull sending out a car which had a mirror fly off without contact.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2549576)   #19
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This chicane, run-off area stuff needs to stop - its a farce. If the FIA wants to stop people using chicanes and run off areas, then they should built some physical features in which disadvantage anyone who uses them e.g. large kerbs, speed bumps, gravel, grass, barriers etc.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2549578)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
What would have happened if Alonso had a temporary problem, prior to the decision being made that Webber had to let him back through, that dropped Alonso behind 7 or 8 other cars?
Old 28 Sep 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2549613)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
..the team would have told him to crash....
Old 28 Sep 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2549624)   #22
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
What would have happened if Alonso had a temporary problem, prior to the decision being made that Webber had to let him back through, that dropped Alonso behind 7 or 8 other cars?
If he had lost 7 or 8 places then he would have been 6 places behind Webber already.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2549705)   #23
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold on a sec here folks, coz I think it needs to be thought about in a different way from the Spa/Kimi issue.

Webber got in front of Alonso by going outside the circuit marking, and this has always got a penalty when it's occured after the first lap.

He was off the corner by metres, and straight away it looked like an illegal move, don't you think?

It's pretty clear that the FIA did let the Spa incident go because it was at the first corner on first lap, and the were 19,063.5 cars going into it at once.

We may agree/disagree with either or both of the decisions, but they are only the same in that a driver got an advantage by putting all four wheels outside the track. Apart from that one feature, two incidents have many differences, significant enough to warrant different treatment.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2549727)   #24
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
..the team would have told him to crash....
Pure gold Armco.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2549731)   #25
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it could've been worse, he might have got a drive through