Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Dec 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2605779)   #101
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Is there any news about the WTCC most underrated driver Tom Coronel ? What does this guy have to do for a works drive? I would like to see him in one of the works Seat cars but afraid it won't happen again next year.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2605942)   #102
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In these difficult times something positive:
Quote:
The prize money for the Yokohama Independents Trophy have been increased by 24% ahead of the coming season. The total sum of prize money has been increased from 384 000 euro to 480 000 euro.

The increase means that each event will have a total of 40 000 euro available for the independent drivers of WTCC.

The scale for the prize money of each race is as follows:

- 12,000 euros to the first driver
- 10,000 euros to the second driver
- 8,000 euros to the third driver
- 5,000 euros to the fourth driver
- 3,000 euros to the fifth driver
- 2,000 euros to the sixth driver
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4293
Old 29 Dec 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2605944)   #103
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Is there any news about the WTCC most underrated driver Tom Coronel ? What does this guy have to do for a works drive? I would like to see him in one of the works Seat cars but afraid it won't happen again next year.
Don't expect him in a factory car (maybe not even in a private car ) because when times were still good he never got a factory drive. For a factory car he has to pay and with SEAT not doing well I don't expect an increased budget from SEAT Holland.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2606032)   #104
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
How about the Macau dream team - Lei Meng, Jo Merszei, Henry Ho and Liu Man?
They promised to return at full-time next year.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2608441)   #105
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they just using this name before they reveal which company is backing it, or is this the worst team name in the series?
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4300

I'm not sure whether they sound confident or naive, but lets hope they make it on the grid and have a good go of the series. Anyone got any details on who they are and what cars they'll use?
Old 5 Jan 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2608511)   #106
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
Are they just using this name before they reveal which company is backing it, or is this the worst team name in the series
I am afraid it's the latter.

www.companyxracing.com

Last edited by MagnetON; 7 Jan 2010 at 13:42. Reason: LinkedIn profile removed - req.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2608619)   #107
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The linked in profile says something about them starting with the infrastructure of a succesful touring car team. Have a lot of the 888 workfroce moved over?
Old 5 Jan 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2608644)   #108
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I am afraid it's the latter.

www.companyxracing.com
Looking at the 'sponsorship' section of their site, it seems they dont have any baking for this effort. they're still selling 'title sponsorship' areas of the car. The diagram in that section just makes me think, 'oh dear'. It just looks like such an idealistic and naive idea.

Last edited by MagnetON; 7 Jan 2010 at 13:41. Reason: LinkedIn profile removed - req.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2608775)   #109
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
The linked in profile says something about them starting with the infrastructure of a succesful touring car team. Have a lot of the 888 workfroce moved over?
The list of combined achievements of the team members refers to multiple BTCC race wins. If the team team included a lot of the 888 workforce wouldn't you list that as having won multiple BTCC championships?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2608845)   #110
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SEAT Sport will announce 2010 program the next week according www.sportmotores.es.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2608856)   #111
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The list of combined achievements of the team members refers to multiple BTCC race wins. If the team team included a lot of the 888 workforce wouldn't you list that as having won multiple BTCC championships?
Northern South team then?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2609504)   #112
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks to me like it could be related to Team Essex/Poulsen Motorsport?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2610944)   #113
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Chevrolet be running a 2-Car team like SEAT in 2010 or are they sticking with 3 cars????
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2610966)   #114
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
3 cars: Huff, Menu and Y Muller
Old 11 Jan 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2611516)   #115
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
D'Aste back to Proteam:
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4308
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2612245)   #116
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hearing SEAT are out of the WTCC, as well as a general redundancy of some of their production force.

News here: http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4311

Last edited by Hazard; 12 Jan 2010 at 16:38.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2612260)   #117
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Hearing SEAT are out of the WTCC, as well as a general redundancy of some of their production force.

News here: http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4311
A shame but it was expected to happen.

I hear that Lada are not returning either.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2612264)   #118
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Old 12 Jan 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2612267)   #119
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
A shame but it was expected to happen.

I hear that Lada are not returning either.
Lada are in more financial trouble than SEAT - don't expect works backing at all. Russian Bears still intend to run them privately though.

Just to summarise the manufacturer backed drivers in 2010:

DriverNatCar
Augusto FarfusBRZBMW 320si
Andy PriaulxGBRBMW 320si
Yvan MullerFRAChevrolet Cruze
Robert HuffGBRChevrolet Cruze
Alain MenuSWIChevrolet Cruze

That's it (compared to 2009, minus two BMW's, five SEAT's and three Lada's)
Old 12 Jan 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2612275)   #120
Thommofan
Rookie

Thommofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The slippery slope for WTCC aswell as BTCC???

(Manufacturer wise I mean)
Old 12 Jan 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2612288)   #121
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommofan View Post
The slippery slope for WTCC aswell as BTCC???

(Manufacturer wise I mean)
How come some people dont realise that the days of lots of manufacturers bankrolling lots of motorsport are long gone? Those days are finished. Have a look around you; F1, World Rally, Sports Cars, Touring Cars. You name it, the manufacturers have been pulling out.

But as long as you have good cars, good drivers and good racing who cares?!
Old 12 Jan 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2612325)   #122
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't see why SEAT's pull-out would be that bad a thing for the WTCC. For me, it's no big a disaster as some sites are making it out to be.

Look at the BTCC. In 1998 it hit a high point for manufacturer's involvement in the sport with Audi, Renault, Ford, Vauxhall, Honda, Volvo and Peugeot all there. Slowly, all but Vauxhall disappeared from the sport. Even now, BTCC has no manufacturers (at least confirmed for 2010 and beyond) with Vauxhall and SEAT's recently withdrawals in the past two years.

But look at it. The BTCC is in the form of it's life currently with the series never having more interest, bigger car counts, more people at the track, TV viewing figures etc. Despite there being no manufacturers in the sport, it still continues, not even limping in the slightest. It is as strong as or even stronger than 1998 in that aspect.

I think it comes to a point where manufacturers arn't really as important to touring cars as they used to be. If a manufacturer pulls out in F1, it's a disaster, if two pull out, people think about the sport being weakened. If the same happens in touring cars, the great racing carries on. Sure, manufacturer involvement sell tickets and it looks great on the advertisements, but personally, I don't tune into touring car racing to watch manufacturers. I tune in to atch great racing.

The fact of the matter is despite manufacturers being more important in a world series, there could still be no problem. Privateer teams still produce the great racing that people love to see with or without manufacturer involvement.

Crisis in WTCC? Not from where I'm sitting.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2612329)   #123
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
How come some people dont realise that the days of lots of manufacturers bankrolling lots of motorsport are long gone? Those days are finished. Have a look around you; F1, World Rally, Sports Cars, Touring Cars. You name it, the manufacturers have been pulling out.

But as long as you have good cars, good drivers and good racing who cares?!
If you're referring to my comment, I was rather matter of factly stating the level of manufacturer support.

The problem is the level of manufacturer support does make a difference sometimes. I'd venture the complete absence of manufacturer support in the BTCC will make it more interesting than the WTCC - because the WTCC media production is so biased to give their manufacturers the maximum coverage, you never see a great deal of the independent battles - so just seeing a handful of Chevrolets vs BMW will be a bit poor watching in that regard.

This is slightly different to the DTM or V8 Supercars who at least provide full fields of cars despite bias in their manufacturer support to a few teams.

Also, the WTCC so far hasn't promised a great number of independent entries as of yet - and most we are hearing are headed for the ETCC...it might be that the WTCC is self-destructing and reforming into the ETCC, either by design or error.

It's still early days though - I guess we'll see in March.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2612336)   #124
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michel Nykjær confirmed for SUNRED Engineering.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4312
Old 12 Jan 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2612339)   #125
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
If you're referring to my comment, I was rather matter of factly stating the level of manufacturer support.
??
Clearly I was quoting Thommofan, not you.