Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Report: all-British entry to run Rockingham

From tsn.ca:
Quote:
(Jul 31) tsn.ca - Former F1 driver Johnny Herbert and Mark Blundell are reportedly part of an effort to field an all-British entry for the upcoming CART race at Rockingham in England.

Race officials admit they are talking about the one race deal and testing could take place at the 2.41 kilometre oval as early as next week.

The BBC sports website reports that Herbert and Blundell are at the top of the list of drivers being considered and that the drive will likely go to whomever is faster in testing.

Blundell would seem to have a slight edge, having raced on the CART series for four years from 1996-2000.

Herbert, who left Formula One two years ago, has never raced competitively on an oval circuit. He failed to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 earlier this year. He has attempted to land a ride in the CART series since leaving Formula One.

Other names being mentioned are BAR test driver Darren Manning and German Touring Car driver Darren Turner.

Organizers met with CART officials last weekend in Vancouver to discuss their proposal. The team would field a Cosworth powered Lola.

The Rockingham event will be the only European stop for the CART series this year after the German 500 was cancelled due to bankruptcy proceedings. Rockingham organizers say they plan to offer a ticket exchange program for fans who were planning to attend the German race.
Interesting... Although I don't think it will sell anymore tickets if that's the goal it would still be good to see either one of those guys in a Champ Car. Don't bet the bank they'd win though...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 31 Jul 2002, 17:23 (Ref:347280)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think the goal is to get 20 starters!
Old 31 Jul 2002, 18:28 (Ref:347309)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably, but it good that David Grace is trying to get more cars into the field.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 00:12 (Ref:347502)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to hear there'll be some British representation on the grid for the only European round.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 00:48 (Ref:347528)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget Blundell, get Justin Wilson in the second car!!!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 02:49 (Ref:347561)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah sounds good to me , the more the merrier , and I'd love to see herbert or wilson in the seat.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 07:06 (Ref:347626)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, bloody good idea I reckon, hope it works out, it'd be great to see either of those drivers taking part.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:22 (Ref:347691)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
They say they've got the chassis and engines lined up, it's just a matter of getting all the right people together. Testing could start as early as next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/sm/news/re...ockingham.html

I found this part interesting, too:

"Rockingham and the German circuit would have shared the considerable financial overheads involved in bringing the CART championship to Europe and the burden now falls on the British venue.

Grace said CART organisers were helping out and actively seeking another European venue for 2003 to make the European leg worthwhile with two successive races."
Old 1 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:347762)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to see this team happen. Blundell has probably had his day though, and he's said in the ITV-F1 coverage that Zanardi's crash scared him away from thinking about ovals. Herbert and Wilson could be a good team, but I suppose they don't want 2 rookies. What about Davidson though? Maybe they can get a temporary release from the Honda test deal?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:03 (Ref:348268)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wilson and Davidson. Now wouldn't that be a fantastic place to establish a British super-team!!!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 07:31 (Ref:348368)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take that report for what it is though, at least when it comes to the possible particpation by either Herbert or Blundell. This is what an article over at AutoSport.com says:

"When asked about the plan by AUTOSPORT in recent weeks, both Blundell and Herbert said that they had not been formally approached by anyone."

Read the full article here: http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=20097&s=7

Personally I would love to see Herbert do the race
Old 2 Aug 2002, 07:47 (Ref:348375)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Y'know, the more I think about this, the less I understand it. They're talking of buying a brand-new chassis directly from Lola, and leasing an engine from Cosworth. Then there's the massive task of quickly assembling not only a driver, but an engineering group, mechanics, over-the-wall guys, and a guy to sweep the floor. Then they've got to pay everybody. They have to get all of the tools that they're gonna need, from the pitwall fuel tank down to the tiniest cotterpin. Tires, computers, radios...

Sounds like alot of money to be spending for a one-off race. And I've heard nothing yet concerning sponsors.

And, what are the CART rules concerning mid-season testing? Will they be allowed to run a few laps on the car before the race, other than for driver testing? I would imagine that there shouldn't be a problem, as the team is not partaking in the full schedule, but didn't CART try cutting costs by cutting testing?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:06 (Ref:348387)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess the most likely thing, if it becomes a reality, is for an existing team to field an additional car (sorta like Toyota and CART talked Ganassi into fielding a third entry for Dixon after PWR went down), funded by Rockingham and the eventual sponsors they have lined up.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:31 (Ref:348400)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Your idea seems logical enough, rustyfan, but there's been no talk of that. And I can't imagine any team that is in a championship battle wanting to spread its resources out to accomodate another car. Of course, I believe that Pook has more than a little bit to do with this, and that (most) of the owners are behind Pook 100%, but the sponsors wouldn't be too happy. If I were sponsoring Rahal's team, for example, I wouldn't take too kindly to my driver's engineer and two of the over-the-wall guys shifting over to a third car for a one-off.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:23 (Ref:348808)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Off-topic, but still related to Rockingham...

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=20109&s=7

This September's Rockingham 500 will become, and remain, Britain's fastest ever race, with average lap speeds around the 220mph mark, according to CART star Christian Fittipaldi.

Fittipaldi visited the 1.5-mile oval in Northamptonshire this week and came away impressed. "Last year, we raced here with almost no testing and the fastest lap in practice was 24.7 seconds, 215mph" said Team Newman-Haas driver. "We've got better wing set-ups and aerodynamics this year so we'll be way quicker than that, maybe 218, even 220mph.

"During Friday qualifying, with a perfect set-up, we may be able to do the whole lap wide-open, on full throttle," said the 31 year-old Brazilian. "That would be awesome".

According to Fittipaldi, with upcoming rule changes these speeds may never be repeated. "For 2003 we'll have lower turbo boost," he said, "and maybe changes to the wings, so whoever sets a track record this year, may have the record for all time."
Old 2 Aug 2002, 17:50 (Ref:348886)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Richard Branson could step up with sponsorship from the Virgin empire?? Hey, if this is gonna be your first time racing in CART, why not tell everyone you're a Virgin??

Shameless Virgin plug...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:20 (Ref:348942)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
"Virgin plug".
Now that's kinda funny.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:25 (Ref:348944)   #18
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the fall in numbers in the series there must be a pool of "resting" engineers mechanics etc who would be avalable to run a car for a one off race.

However i doubt if any team/driver doing a one off race would be fully competitive.