Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1216486)   #1
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Valenica photographs

Well, after much plalava I managed to get to a Spanish test track. Eventually it was Valencia.

I'd like to share with you a selecion of my photographs of the F1 testing. I'll post one to entice you in, and then I'll post the link to my gallery.

http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/feb05.htm

Feedback is ofcourse very welcome.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1216528)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You somehow messed your link up. This one should work...

http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/feb05.htm
Old 3 Feb 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1216642)   #3
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice photos. Here's another photographers site with some.

http://www.alexcaparros.com/
Old 3 Feb 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1216763)   #4
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I should add mine that I took in Valencia. Quality has been reduced in order to minimise the amount of webspace I have left.

www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/pics_jantesting05.html

Alex
Old 3 Feb 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1216826)   #5
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Superb photos ForzaF1.

Who'd you cadge the full access from?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1216870)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some great pictures everybody!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1216924)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
Superb photos ForzaF1.

Who'd you cadge the full access from?
Your shots aren't to bad either James. Unfortunatly I was a week to early for Ferrari.

I have my sources to obtain a pitlane/paddock/infield pass. Unfortunatly I can't reveil them but it is all legit.

Where the public sat (I guess that is where you were) you had some great views. Much better than alot of circuits.

Alex
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1216933)   #8
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1

Where the public sat (I guess that is where you were) you had some great views. Much better than alot of circuits.

Alex
Oh yeah! Could see the whole track, (well the armcoes hid the cars on a couple of the straights), but had plenty of chance to practise my long distance, long focal length shooting.

I was way out of practise though and spent most of my time trying to find a decent setting on Manual, I was underexposing my pitlane shots and over exposing my track shots.

Use of a monopod helped a bit.

Overall I'm pleased with my results, although they aren't as good as I'd hope they would be.

Oh well Silverstone in a couple of weeks.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1216954)   #9
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
I found the same problem. I had it set on Manual but the pitlane was in the shade and the circuit in the light and it wasn't producing great shots. Luckily I had 2 days to get it right and eventually did by changing settings on my Nikon D70.

Fisichella in the Renault

The circuit was designed for spectators and you aren't short of places to see from. Loads of seating. Although from a drivers point of view...probably quite boring. Tons and tons of Alonso fans...maybe abit to many for his liking walking around the paddock.

As I say, I went last week when the temperature only got to about 0C for most of the day and it was freezing!! Today it registered 18C!!! Lucky devils!

Alex
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1216957)   #10
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant pictures everyone, especially the paddock/pit lane ones, liked the Borja Garcia/Trulli one.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1216961)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What lens(s) do you use forzaf1 out of interest?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1216964)   #12
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Although from a drivers point of view...probably quite boring.
Yeah, it struck me that in the zero chance of there everbeing a F1 Grandprix on that track.. there would be absolutely no overtaking, probably less than even Monaco.

Great Spectaor facility, I was extremely impressed. I could still hear the engines when I went back to bed last night, having returned the 800 odd miles to home.

I was still there yesterday when Alonso stopped out on the main straight, the Spanish fan turnout was pretty strong and they were cheering and whistling for him. He ignored them, actually he looked livid. And I was lucky to sit near a Renault Employee on the flight home. I over heard the conservation, and it was apparant that he was not a happy bunny at all.

Security looked extremely well organised to me.

I saw some one try their luck though, he connected his public ticket to the zip of his coat attempting to make it look like a pass. It was fooling nobody and got all of 5 metres before being pointed in the right directin by Sercurity.

I will be looking into investing in another lens soon. one with a smaller range than my 50-500mm lens. So it doesn't compromise me when I'm close to the subject I am photographing. It was a bit tricky to handle in a confined space on the grandstand when you could barley move your elbows for people around you.

Any one got any reconmendations?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1216979)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Was it so busy that you couldn't move then? :O
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1216986)   #14
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
I use a Nikkor 300mm lense.

I met both Renault drivers and they didn't seem that happy. When people asked for his autograph he just walked straight past them. When in the Renault motorhome having lunch fans gathered around the motorhome and peered in through the tent to try and get photos.

Its certainly a bike track...car racing must be pretty boring if no overtaking or fun if they try and pass and don't make the move stick.

Security was ok...some of them were friendly..others far to strict. It was more organised than Barcelona and alot more busy. The days I were there was when the Spanish F3 driver turned up and so much media and press were there...I got shoved to the side. The day before the president of Valencia went around the paddock and security guards, cars with blacked out windows...loads of media. But when all the media has gone the paddock is dead.

My flight had Ted Kravitz & ITV crew on it and...I believe Andy Prixaul aswell. I know a guy who went back a day later and got Davidson, Sato and BAR mechanics.

Alex
Old 4 Feb 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1217050)   #15
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
I use a Nikkor 300mm lense.

I met both Renault drivers and they didn't seem that happy. When people asked for his autograph he just walked straight past them. When in the Renault motorhome having lunch fans gathered around the motorhome and peered in through the tent to try and get photos.

Its certainly a bike track...car racing must be pretty boring if no overtaking or fun if they try and pass and don't make the move stick.

Security was ok...some of them were friendly..others far to strict. It was more organised than Barcelona and alot more busy. The days I were there was when the Spanish F3 driver turned up and so much media and press were there...I got shoved to the side. The day before the president of Valencia went around the paddock and security guards, cars with blacked out windows...loads of media. But when all the media has gone the paddock is dead.

My flight had Ted Kravitz & ITV crew on it and...I believe Andy Prixaul aswell. I know a guy who went back a day later and got Davidson, Sato and BAR mechanics.

Alex
Oh yeah? Which one in particular? I see you've got a D70, well I've got a D70, so hopefully I can get similar quality images to you.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1217198)   #16
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Oh yeah? Which one in particular? I see you've got a D70, well I've got a D70, so hopefully I can get similar quality images to you.
Sorry you have lost me. What do you wish to know?

Alex
Old 4 Feb 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1217222)   #17
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Was it so busy that you couldn't move then? :O
You could move.

But everyone naturally and understanbly were standing right at the front of the grandstand.

It's tricky tying to pan a 50-500mm lens when you are elbow to elbow like that. It's also pointless trying to zoom back up the pitlane, because all you get is the person next to you!

Yeah I saw on itv website that Kravitz was there, glad I missed him
Old 4 Feb 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1217584)   #18
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, it struck me that in the zero chance of there everbeing a F1 Grandprix on that track.. there would be absolutely no overtaking, probably less than even Monaco.
Oh no, you're wrong there.. Robbie Kerr overtook what seemed like half the field in a Renault V6 last year (and they are about as boring as they come for overtaking) and the ETCC was full on..
Old 4 Feb 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1217586)   #19
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:

Any one got any reconmendations?
I'd suggest that you need to aim for a basic kit something like this, eventually..

10mm
15-30mm (something like)
28-80mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8
500mm or 600mm f4
Old 4 Feb 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1217592)   #20
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Here are some shots from Valencia from last year's Super Racing Weekend.. Use the little red triangles in the upper right corner to navigate between thumbnail screens.. click on thumbs to view at 800 wide..

Crowd was about 1 man and a dog..

LINK

Last edited by David L; 4 Feb 2005 at 18:20.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1217630)   #21
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
I'd suggest that you need to aim for a basic kit something like this, eventually..

10mm
15-30mm (something like)
28-80mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8
500mm or 600mm f4
I'll certianly be looking at f 2.8 lenses in the future, for the time being how ever my budget can't stretch that far. What would you say about what is available for a budget of up to £200?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1217644)   #22
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
I'll certianly be looking at f 2.8 lenses in the future, for the time being how ever my budget can't stretch that far. What would you say about what is available for a budget of up to £200?
Depends what you want the lens for..

Something nice for panning and very close head-ons would be a 70-200 zoom..

I think you'll need a little more than £200.. But aim for secondhand and use eBay to get a better deal than in the high street.. You may be lucky on eBay and get something at a time when bidding is quiet..

I had a sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM.. Something like this..

LINK

I think the aution price paid here was too much BTW..

It was pretty good.. Nothing like as good as the Nikon glass I have now, but pretty sharp nonetheless.. and it has motors to drive the focus so it's quite quick..

If you shoot digital SLR and want something nice for pit work then you might find something like an 18-30 f4 point something-or-other for £200 or so on eBay..
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1217693)   #23
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
Quote:
Here are some shots from Valencia from last year's Super Racing Weekend.. Use the little red triangles in the upper right corner to navigate between thumbnail screens.. click on thumbs to view at 800 wide..

Crowd was about 1 man and a dog..

LINK
I had no idea that did the Super Racing Weekend there....unbelieveable. As far as I was aware only the pit straight, 2nd and last corners were the only place really to have a chance of overtaking.

Alex
Old 5 Feb 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1217889)   #24
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Sorry you have lost me. What do you wish to know?

Alex
What I meant was which particular lens do you have? I was wondering if it was the same as mine.

And I don't have a D70, that's a typo. I've got a D100.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1218028)   #25
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:

I had a sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM..
I'm just taken one of my legendary reckless spontaneous decisions, thanks to you guys

I've just made a bid on a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L , currently I am winning with about 34 hours to go.

If I win the bid, and the seller accepts it (since I have no previous history on ebay etc) then I shall probably be sending myself into finacial turmoil again

But I guess that's the price you pay for quality. I certianly want a fast as possible lens, and don't want to compromise on quality.