Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:59 (Ref:691634)   #1
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graeme Wight Jnr

I am hoping that someone out there can help me......

I have a couple of pictures that I would dearly love to Graeme Wight Jnr for his photo album as I dont imagine anyone else got the chance to take some for him...

Does anyone have any sort of email contact or website addy that contains a contact us link etc that I could use????

Long shot I know but I am sure that he would like to have something to remember the occassion by.... After all it's not every day that you get offered the chance to drive a GT40 up Shelsley Walsh!!!!!

I have posted one of the pics for all to enjoy...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
jnr and his dream car.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2003, 00:08 (Ref:691774)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could try Roger Thomas at the club address:

secretary@shelsley-walsh.co.uk

Incidentally, when Graeme got to the top paddock on his first run in the Jackie Stewart car, his first words were "Something's wrong at the back right" A huddle of drivers gathered around and quickly diagnosed a broken rose joint on the bottom rear link. Class.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:21 (Ref:691890)   #3
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A broken rear rose joint would not be exactly subtle would it? I'm sure my Auntie Mabel would have picked up on it and she's 87, has never driven and lives in a lovely home in Frinton...
I've always hoped to see a proper racing driver try some of these hillclimbs. Like, I mean, Andy Priaulx walked away with the hillclimb title a few years ago and when he went into racing he was amazed at just how far behind he was and how much he had to learn.
One season in Formula Ford would give you the seat-time of at least 100 years in hillclimbing!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 09:28 (Ref:692000)   #4
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So hillclimb drivers are not "proper racing drivers" then???
Old 19 Aug 2003, 09:32 (Ref:692004)   #5
JR Ewing
Veteran

I don't know - I have nobody to guage them against in terms of outright talent. I'm sure the best are all very competent but quite how good I'd like to see.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 11:43 (Ref:692095)   #6
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbing is a different type of motorsport. You have to be fully commited for your run. You cannot make a mistake and you cannot afford to step out of line anywhere. You don't need to gauge hillclimbers with other drivers in circuit racing, we are one on our own. The quickest guys are the ones who are fully commited and confident with their cars. Us hillclimbers and hillclimb marshals know who has talent and who hasn't!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 12:26 (Ref:692143)   #7
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've competed in about seven hillclimbs over the last couple of years having little prior competition experience, baring the odd bout of socially unacceptable driving.
At 47, I'm know I'm not naturally quick, but every time I visit say Prescott or Loton Park I am able to reduce my personal best times, which is of course satisfying.
The facts are, that eventually you learn the secrets of the course and as long as you have the enthusiasm and guts, they will take you a long way, at least to the middle of your class.
I'm sure that this remains consistent throughout motor racing. Given time, money, tuition and opportunity, whose to say any one of us,couldn't in time qualify for a Grand Prix grid.
Schumacher and Senna can be considered naturally fast, but Mansell and Hill most definitely had to work hard by studying the course and practicing extensivly.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 16:10 (Ref:692360)   #8
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did`nt Andy Priaux absolutely abliterate the field in the Renault Spiders for season, he aint doing too bad in his first season in European Touring Cars either is he?

Mrs Blackx - suggest you talk to Graham at Gurston this weekend - other than that cant help - sorry
Old 19 Aug 2003, 16:24 (Ref:692377)   #9
Pike
Racer

JR Ewing - come and stand at Ess Approach at Shelsley Walsh or finish line at Gurston Down and see Graeme and the rest of the top ten go past at 125 MPH + on a track 12 foot wide, oh I forgot to mention both are on bends - no straights in sight.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:01 (Ref:692407)   #10
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, back onto the topic. Wight Junior, top driver, top bloke. Certainly one of the best!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:07 (Ref:692412)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

Slow down chaps, I wasn't being rude, I'd just like to see it that's all!
Priaux's first season (when he wanted to do F3000) he was sh*te well off the pace in F Renault. His first effort at F3 wasn't too hot neither but he 'regrouped' in the Spiders and got better and better. So I never said he was no good,I merely said it took a lot of learning for him. Ie. are the hillclimbers 'less good' or is it just such a different discipline. I am slightly dubious due to the tiny amounts of mileage most climbers/sprinters do, like less than one decent qualifying session over a whole year!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:11 (Ref:692414)   #12
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike
JR Ewing - come and stand at Ess Approach at Shelsley Walsh or finish line at Gurston Down and see Graeme and the rest of the top ten go past at 125 MPH + on a track 12 foot wide, oh I forgot to mention both are on bends - no straights in sight.
Dont forget that the spectators are not very far from the track either!!!.... The speed at which the top 12 go past is enough to raise your wig a little....

Thanks for the tip Pike about Gurston, I dont like to bother Jnr much as his mind is otherwise engaged but I will ask him if he wants a copy...

Oh and just a foot note for J R Ewing... I know that all the hillclimb marshal's will agree with me on this point, but ANY racing track, be it a sprint, circuit or hillclimb heralds exceptional technical minds behind the wheels of their cars. Just because they are not racing at Monaco or Silverstone does not mean they are not "proper" drivers. I would be offended if I had read that comment and I was a driver!!!!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:42 (Ref:692429)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

Them being offended doesn't mean I'm right or wrong though does it?
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:54 (Ref:692442)   #14
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Them being offended doesn't mean I'm right or wrong though does it?
What that they are not "proper" drivers??? You dont have to earn a million pounds a year to be called that!!!...

As Pike suggested maybe the best thing is for you to come to one of the hillclimb events and see for yourself.... Shelsley Walsh is the one I would recommend purely on the basis that it is IMHO the most exciting of them all. And having stood at all of the viewing points at this venue I would have to say that 's' approach is the one that does it for me with bottom 's' just behind.....
Old 19 Aug 2003, 19:07 (Ref:692491)   #15
Pike
Racer

Ok so Andy was`nt very good in his first year - look at it the other way how many circuit drivers would be good on a hillclimb first season?? As said they are totally different disciplines - hillcimb drivers dont do it for the time in the car - if they wanted that they would do GT`s/endurance racing. Then again there are`nt many cars in the world that can out accelerate the top 10 boys..... not even F1.

Mrs Blackx - Jnr wont mind unless he is just about to run or his dad is, always Saturday after they have done their runs (before he gets drunk!!!!). Dead right that speccys are`nt far from the track at `S` Approach - would you get that close on a circuit??
Old 19 Aug 2003, 19:17 (Ref:692499)   #16
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike
Dead right that speccys are`nt far from the track at `S` Approach - would you get that close on a circuit??
Can't provide proof of 'S' approach at the minute but this is a pic that was taken on Sunday of Jnr in the aforementioned GT40... I didn't have time to use the zoom as I had just run from the paddock upto Crossing (run???... yep run) to ensure that I saw Jnr driving up the hill from the closest vantage point, and this just shows how close you do actually get.... Scary when they are approaching 80-100 miles per hour here!!

And for those of you who are interested (not many I bet) the reason I had been silly enough to run from the paddock to crossing is that I didn't realise that Jnr was actually going to drive it up the hill until I was asked to move out of the way (I was taking the picture above).. At that point I thought "OMG!! I have to tell the marshal's"!!... I did suffer later though when I got back down to the paddock and my legs developed a mind of their own...

Attached Thumbnails
dscn0493#001.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2003, 20:35 (Ref:692571)   #17
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The kids told me you didnt run but merely walked briskly......

Hahahahaha