Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3207622)   #76
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More pressure on Hamilton to deliver after Rosberg topping the timesheets today. Will Hamilton crack before the season even starts???
Old 20 Feb 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3207949)   #77
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
More pressure on Hamilton to deliver after Rosberg topping the timesheets today. Will Hamilton crack before the season even starts???
Don't be silly ....
Old 20 Feb 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3207954)   #78
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Fourteen hundredths. At this stage that is nothing. I expected him to be quick straight out of the box and he was.

I'm sure far too much will be read into every twist and turn before we reach the grid of race one. Lewis will have had a very successful season if he matches Rosberg. No more, no less.
We don't agree often... but what you've said here sums the situation up. Nico Rosberg is a better driver than people give him credit for and he was a match for Lewis in their karting days. They'll probably be quite evenly matched at Mercedes and I would be very surprised if either wipes the floor with the other.

The bigger question people should be looking at is the potency of this new car and the capability of the team to give either driver a decent chance this year.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3207973)   #79
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Has he ever cracked before? Will Nico crack before the season starts? Will the brake pipe crack before the...oh, hold on.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3207979)   #80
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Will the brake pipe crack before the...oh, hold on.

Maybe Vettel will crack under the pressure of losing the Top Gear lap record...
Old 20 Feb 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3208109)   #81
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Davyboy i'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. Rosberg isn't in the same league as Lewis pace wise but he is capable of running him close on occasion this year.

He is a decent number 2 calibre driver though.

For me if he does upset the applecart I think it would say more about Lewis shortcomings than Nico's credentials.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3208122)   #82
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
We don't agree often... but what you've said here sums the situation up. Nico Rosberg is a better driver than people give him credit for and he was a match for Lewis in their karting days. They'll probably be quite evenly matched at Mercedes and I would be very surprised if either wipes the floor with the other.

The bigger question people should be looking at is the potency of this new car and the capability of the team to give either driver a decent chance this year.
No doubt Nico Roseberg is very good, a team like Mercedes is not going to choose someone who cannot deliver, there is too much at stake..Yes I was wrong about Michael, I expected him to return guns blazing and it did not happen...

Lewis Hamilton is special in the right machine his speed is exceptional..He is defacto #1 in that team, if they can not do it with him... They will be gone..
Old 20 Feb 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3208136)   #83
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
No doubt Nico Roseberg is very good, a team like Mercedes is not going to choose someone who cannot deliver, there is too much at stake..Yes I was wrong about Michael, I expected him to return guns blazing and it did not happen...

Lewis Hamilton is special in the right machine his speed is exceptional..He is defacto #1 in that team, if they can not do it with him... They will be gone..
Jerez

Day 1

Rosberg FTD 1:22.616

DAY 2

Perez FTD 1:21.848

Hambo 3rd 1:22.726
Old 20 Feb 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3208144)   #84
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Jerez

Day 1

DAY 2

You love to do this, but it's testing so what do the numbers mean ?
Old 20 Feb 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3208149)   #85
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You love to do this, but it's testing so what do the numbers mean ?
I merely try and file the facts available in the relevant threads so they are available to everyone for an analysis that is relevant to a discussion.

The above figures would seem to show that Rosberg set a faster time than Hamilton on a slower track, which is born out by the fastest time of day being quicker on a rubbered in surface.

At this stage though I agree it means nothing as we do not know what programmes the drivers were running.

It does however seem very brave to write Rosberg off as a number two and slower than Hamilton based on nothing at all though.

I don't care who works out the faster driver in the end, merely that we have a full picture to draw whatever conclusion is reached.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3208153)   #86
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Barcelona
Day 1

DAY 2

Should be Barcelona not Jerez in above post!!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3208156)   #87
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
I merely try and file the facts available in the relevant threads so they are available to everyone for an analysis that is relevant to a discussion.

The above figures would seem to show that Rosberg set a faster time than Hamilton on a slower track, which is born out by the fastest time of day being quicker on a rubbered in surface.

At this stage though I agree it means nothing as we do not know what programmes the drivers were running.

It does however seem very brave to write Rosberg off as a number two and slower than Hamilton based on nothing at all though.

I don't care who works out the faster driver in the end, merely that we have a full picture to draw whatever conclusion is reached.
Back to your old tricks, I know you sweetheart...
Old 21 Feb 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3208159)   #88
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Back to your old tricks, I know you sweetheart...
Logic's a hell isn't it!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3208162)   #89
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Logic's a hell isn't it!
What is your logic based on ? bugger all really...
Old 21 Feb 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3208168)   #90
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Has he ever cracked before? Will Nico crack before the season starts? Will the brake pipe crack before the...oh, hold on.
If they're not cracking, they're choking.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3208194)   #91
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If lap times in testing were anything to go by last season, then Mercedes and Lotus should have romped away from the rest. They did it twice out of twenty races..............
Old 21 Feb 2013, 02:34 (Ref:3208199)   #92
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
What is your logic based on ? bugger all really...
Have not reached a conclusion one way or the other yet.

Unlike some.

Whole season ahead of us.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3208393)   #93
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Davyboy i'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. Rosberg isn't in the same league as Lewis pace wise but he is capable of running him close on occasion this year.

He is a decent number 2 calibre driver though.

For me if he does upset the applecart I think it would say more about Lewis shortcomings than Nico's credentials.
Quote:

Both of you may well be right, time will tell. But on the evidence to date, it's really difficult to know for sure.

When they were karting team mates, arguably the only time they were using the same kit, there wasn't a lot between them in terms of performance. Lewis finished ahead of Nico in the 2000 end of the year rankings really only because he encountered less trouble with reliability and accidents.

After that, they both starred in the junior formulae... both lifting GP2 crowns at the first time of asking.

On graduation to F1 their careers took very different trajectories. Lewis had a title winning car for most his time there. Nico never had a title winning machine and as consequence was left scrapping around. I imagine their respective routes in F1 have served to enhance Lewis while damaging Nico... but that's pure speculation on my part. 2013 will reveal if that's actually the case or not.

I think they'll be good team mates. They were in karting and they're very good friends. I just hope that Mercedes gives them a car that will allow them to carry out their trade at the sharp end of the grid and not the back end of the top ten.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3208457)   #94
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with garcon that he will have done a good job if he's level with Rosberg, just because most these guys are close in skill level, so with Hamilton possibly being better than Rosberg by a few tenths ultimately, there are still plenty of chances for that to be turned around.

I don't know where I stand on Nico. I've said for a while that people were quick to say Schumacher was rubbish in 2010 when maybe Nico just has the measure of him. He "quietly" gets results bagged without too many accidents. On the other hand, I sometimes feel he needs more star perfomances, more stand-outs.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3208475)   #95
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think having spent a few seasons learning from the old guy, Nico might rise to the challenge that Lewis brings.

The main reason Nico holds an advantage this season is being established with the team - it almost always takes a new boy a while to settle in. Although ultimately (i.e. from next season) I would expect Lewis to be coming out ahead.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3209427)   #96
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Barcelona

Day 1

DAY 2

Barcelona

DAY 3

Alonso FTD 1:21.875

Rosberg 4th 1:22.611

DAY 4

Hamilton FTD 1:23.282 (Wet / Changeable Conditions)

On these times it looks like the Merc is pretty well stuck with a best lap of 1:22.6
someway behind the Ferrari. Hamilton's fastest time in the wet would probably support his theory that the car is not producing enough downforce.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3209442)   #97
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Barcelona

DAY 3

Alonso FTD 1:21.875

Rosberg 4th 1:22.611

DAY 4

Hamilton FTD 1:23.282 (Wet / Changeable Conditions)

On these times it looks like the Merc is pretty well stuck with a best lap of 1:22.6
someway behind the Ferrari. Hamilton's fastest time in the wet would probably support his theory that the car is not producing enough downforce.
The best time from Rosberg was set on hard tires compared to mediums for the others.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3213823)   #98
wnut
Veteran

Barcelona Final Test

DAY 1

Webber FTD 1:22.693
Hamilton 2 nd 1:24.348

DAY 2 Wet/Changeable

Grosjean FTD 1:22.716
Rosberg 10th 1:26.655

DAY 3

Hamilton FTD 1:20.558

DAY 4

Rosberg FTD 1:20.130
Old 3 Mar 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3213846)   #99
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Rosberg also turned in the fastest time for Mercedes, overall, at last seasons Barca test. He was certainly quicker than TGF in qualifying, and scored the teams first victory in a long while. He'll be no pushover for Hamilton, as indeed was the case for him with Button, and Button was the new boy in Hamilton's team.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3213849)   #100
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
And it should not be..