Old 9 Jan 2003, 19:54 (Ref:468758)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis on Jacques

Stolen from F1-Live:

"I don't know Jenson very well. I think he is quite good but Jacques is a really tough person," said Panis. "He is really quick and maybe he is even better a driver than he was five years ago. I like him and respect him because he is very quick and very strong. If BAR give him a quick car then I know he will do well." -Olivier Panis

I found this interesting. I guess I always assumed that Olivier and Jacques didn't get along so well due to JV's ego. At any rate, OP certainly doesn't feel that Jacques' skills have deteriorated, contrary to what many people have said.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 20:03 (Ref:468768)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well , we can talk about it forever , but Panis does actually know what he's talking about........to say that he thinks Jacques maybe even better than he was in his world championship year is really saying something......maybe next year will have us watching those BAR boys very closely
Old 9 Jan 2003, 23:25 (Ref:468979)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Panis on Jacques

Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
I guess I always assumed that Olivier and Jacques didn't get along so well due to JV's ego.
In this months F1Racing mag there is an interview with Jacques and he says about Olivier (and Damon Hill for that matter)............

My relationship with Olivier was very good. I respected him. I respected Damon [Hill] too - but i was learning then.........

With Damon and Olivier, it wasn't too much of a problem for me when they outqualified me.It didn't annoy me as much as it did, and it does, with other drivers.

Last edited by Mr V; 9 Jan 2003 at 23:25.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 23:39 (Ref:468992)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pair did get along well from what I have read. I think it is difficult to dislike OP. He seems to be a very tolerant person.
However I think OP was suggesting that JV may be difficult to get along with. Not only that, if he does not respect his teammate then life can be hell for them. Jacques is fast and he knows it.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 03:29 (Ref:469129)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
before I put on my glasses, my thoughts were "of course he has a penis", but then I reread tthe title.

I always figured that Panis being mature, French speaking (no misunderstood nuances between the two) and as well as being confident in his own driving abiilites, was part of the factors that allowed them to get on well and not be threatened by each other.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 14:22 (Ref:470225)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never believed Jacques liked Hill - in their first season Jacques made Hill look real silly quite a few times. When Hill did get the better of him it was down to luck and experience since that was Jacques first season. On the other hand, I think Panis did well against Jacques mainly because Jacques wasnt 100% committed to the cause because of all the nonsense going around in the team - that said him and Panis did get along very well and there really wasnt any tension b/w those two throughout their time at BAR.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 15:21 (Ref:470295)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jacques always got on with Olivier. He rates him as his quickest team-mate...after Damon, which I view as a complement, and I think it was intended that way!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 10 Jan 2003, 16:24 (Ref:470373)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Which goes to prove how quick Damon was as well!
Old 10 Jan 2003, 20:26 (Ref:470579)   #9
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
I never believed Jacques liked Hill - in their first season Jacques made Hill look real silly quite a few times.
You believe wrong then - Damon and Jacques still get on really well - Damon was one of Jacques's biggest supporters last year and he supports JV's charity events as well, and is even one of the patrons of the Villars 24h GP.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 20:50 (Ref:470616)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
before I put on my glasses, my thoughts were "of course he has a penis", but then I reread tthe title.

that is sooo funny...... .
Old 10 Jan 2003, 21:11 (Ref:470651)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybabe
You believe wrong then - Damon and Jacques still get on really well - Damon was one of Jacques's biggest supporters last year and he supports JV's charity events as well, and is even one of the patrons of the Villars 24h GP.
So what?

Everyone does charity. And because they may get along now that Hill is retired doesent mean they got along when they drove together...I remember Hill was miffed quite a few times when Jacques kicked his behind in his first F1 season...similarly DC and Hill had a major falling out during DC`s last few races with Williams as well...but they too seem to get along better now that Hill is gone....it`s all a matter of timing.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 22:10 (Ref:470711)   #12
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
So what?

Everyone does charity. And because they may get along now that Hill is retired doesent mean they got along when they drove together...I remember Hill was miffed quite a few times when Jacques kicked his behind in his first F1 season...similarly DC and Hill had a major falling out during DC`s last few races with Williams as well...but they too seem to get along better now that Hill is gone....it`s all a matter of timing.
Posts like this get me really annoyed. Why do some people persist in thinking that some people really hate other people? JV and Damon have always got on, they've always had the utmost respect for each other and have been friends for a long time. Of course everyone does charity, but it they didn't get on they wouldn't do the same one, would they? And just because Damon is "miffed quite a few times" it doesn't mean they hate each others guts.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 02:26 (Ref:470885)   #13
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
mr lithographer, I'm glad someone else has a juvenile sense of humour like me....(and I don't even wear glasses)

as for JV and Hill, remember the Damon interview of Jacques in F1 mag or something a bunch of years ago, and they talked of the "chicken" incident during a meal in the teams motorhome? Jacques being grabby and really teeing off Damon, it was funny reading it, and they laughed about it too.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 03:50 (Ref:470898)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jacques saying he got more annoyed when he lost to Hill does not mean that they did not get along. When I play tennis there are people that when they beat me I think, "ok I'll get you next time". However, some others just get under my skin. I dont know why, maybe its their style or just that I think I am way better than them. However there is no malice.

I feel that it was the same with Jacques. It is just really hard losing to some people. It does not mean he dislikes Hill.