Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 30 Dec 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2363046)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New "Brabham" BMWs?

Does anyone know what has happened? Some new tuned BMWs were unveiled at the Essen motor show by Brabham Racing (who I assume are descended from the F1 team?), then legal action was taken by Jack Brabham over the use of the name. Looking now, the company's website appears to be down - does anyone know if this is an indication of an outcome?
Old 31 Dec 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2363176)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I wouldnt be surprised, the press release suggested that they were associated or a descendent of Brabahm (aka Motor Racing Developments), but they have nothing to do with them or the Brabham family.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2363561)   #3
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This project was definately NOT approved or endorsed by the Brabham family in any way whatsoever.

There was a press release issued on behalf of the family making it very clear they had no involvement and had not given any approval.

I think it is now probably in the hand of lawyers.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2367442)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, as part of the reporting I also remember reading a quote from Sir Jack that he had gone to the trouble of purchasing the "name" after the F1 team closed down too, so it does not sound like there could be any proper link justifying the use of the Brabham name.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 00:47 (Ref:2388596)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Its just my two cents but if they don't have Sir Jack's approval then they shouldn't use the name, it would be a bit hollow.