Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Mar 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2409844)   #1
chapmanite
Rookie

chapmanite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds Like a Turbo...

Hello All,

I'm the new owner of a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (with a 5-speed, I think the only gearbox on offer), AKA The Nubaru and have a question. When accelerating under load in second or third, though RARELY first or fourth, and never fifth, it sounds like the car has a turbo that is spooling, which it doesn't....

My fear is that a bearing is going somewhere in the gearbox, because it doesn't make the sound when not in gear. At the same time, I read somewhere else that 1-2 in this car are straight cut, and so the whine is normal. This would be nice, but doesn't explain the whine in third.

Also, when slowing down, the car is really reluctant to let me downshift until my speed is way down: I often can't engage first from second unless I'm nearly stopped! It doesn't like going from thrid to second either. My guess on this one is synchros. Or is this normal?

Thirdly, in normal to-the-store kind of driving the clutch engagement is kind of jerky unless I rev to about 1500 on the shifts. Is this a problem or just a lack of touch with my left foot?

Cheers,
Chapmanite