Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Mar 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2410376)   #1
Red Bladder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Red Bladder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RAC membership

I seem to remember some time ago that since BMMC is an affliated RAC MSA club and with having a RAC MSA marshals card/licence we would qualify for a discount on RAC memembership. Does anyone know if this is the case and how I would go about getting a discount?
Old 6 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2410421)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe this discount finished when the RAC was sold to a private equity group, that is when I joined the AA.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2410522)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's correct, the MSA is no longer connected in any way to the RAC. Normal rates only, I'm afraid. Actually, I think if you had a discount by being a member when there was a connection it's still applied. I'm sure I don't pay full rate, but I'm not going to tell them!
Old 6 Mar 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2410558)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe though, that BARC members get a discount. Might not be of any use to you of course, but worth knowing
Old 6 Mar 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2410678)   #5
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never bothered with the RAC., I get FULL membership of the AA with my bank account, only paying a nominal fee.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2411403)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I got a discount mentioning I was a BARC member, all you have to do is quote the code from the BARC and thats it, they don't even check if you are a member!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2411473)   #7
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah those were the days when you could get pulled out of the forest when you broke down on a rally stage.
I find a connection to the CSMA (as in another family member) is worth having, you pay £15 membership but recovery is only £34.50 for the basic lift and shift.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2411476)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
RAC membership was essential if competing in the old Road saloons that had to be driven to the circuit. I wrecked a Sunbeam Talbot at Oulton and got it picked up at the circuit and transported all the way to London (not without some moaning from the driver how people like me were causing more needy people to wait longer however he soon shut up when I thrust a tenner into his grubby paw!).
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2412444)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Never bothered with the RAC., I get FULL membership of the AA with my bank account, only paying a nominal fee.
Excellent deal. Presumably if you break down they get the government to rescue you?
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2412462)   #10
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Excellent deal. Presumably if you break down they get the government to rescue you?
Very good Chris, but technically correct
Old 10 Mar 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2413205)   #11
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Join the MG Car Club and you will receive a discount - I have for the last 24 years!
Old 11 Mar 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2413618)   #12
thefilbertfox
Rookie

Umm al-Qaiwan
Surrey
thefilbertfox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another source of discount are the web cashback sites. I use quidco.
Is a bit complicated so you are best to read the stuff on their site.

For the basic RAC cover, the discount works out at:

Basic Roadside Cover £29 (as advertised at RAC.co.uk)
Quidco Cashback -£20*
Quidco annual membership £5**
You effectively pay £14

* Cashback takes a couple of months to be debited to your bank account
** Annual membership comes out of your cashback, you don't pay it up front

I use it for most internet purchases as a lot of the main retailers are signed up. For example, Interflora have discount and free delivery through the quidco site. Great for mothers day if you happen to be stood on a wind-swept bank.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2414180)   #13
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use my Tesco clubcard vouchers , converted to clubcard deals to pay for our RAC membership - therefore its "free".........
I rarely shop at Tesco's but I have a Tescos CC which gets clubcard points everytime i use it.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 13:50 (Ref:2414284)   #14
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have also used Tesco vouchers for the last few years, I mainly get them form Tesco and eOn but we also buy the family's vouchers off them at face value, their happy money to spend anywhere and we can get RAC cover, days out, annual passes etc. all at 25% the real cost! Winner!!

RAC Roadside - Recovery - Joint £34 of Vouchers (Our Package)

Some other options, although loads available....
RAC Roadside - Recovery £28
RAC Roadside £15
RAC Roadside - Recovery & Onward Travel £38
RAC Roadside / Recovery / At Home / Onward Travel £51

Just to add, you can also use Tesco CC vouchers for renewals!!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 12 Mar 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2414333)   #15
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bit off thread but you can use Tesco vouchers for various driving days aswell, including Thruxton- £5 of cc vouchers = £20 of experience vouchers
Old 12 Mar 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2414536)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I think this has moved well away from marshals' club discussion, to over to Road Car forum.