Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3397739)   #6751
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping 2017 looks like this

LMP1 - Stays pretty much what it is now, complete prototypes with no resemblance to any road cars. Average Le Mans Lap 3:30

LMP2 - If Super GT, Corvette DP, and a DTM car had a baby. Or in other terms prototype GT cars that keep styling cues from road cars. Average Le Mans Lap 3:40

GTLM - Factory GT cars, basically today's GTE class. Average Le Mans Lap Time 3:55

GT3 - The worldwide GT3 class. Average Le Mans lap time 4:05

Last edited by Holt; 24 Apr 2014 at 14:29.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3397767)   #6752
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just hypothetically.

Say this car was fitted with modern rubber and the chassis was made of carbon fiber and the whole shemozzle would pass all current safety specs...how fast do you think it'd go, and would you watch a series like that?

Like, imagine if this as what a 2017 P1/2 car looked like...they'd produce more downforce than current cars, iirc.
The moncoque was carbon...

Point being, yes. If the cars looked that good for the new P2, yes, I think we would ALL be happy with that.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 24 Apr 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3397822)   #6753
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
No, I wouldn't want to see that any more than I wanted to see IMSA's spec-CanAm (now there's an oxymoron) throwback car last year.

I'd rather see something that produces its own history rather than adopting another periods'.

Yeah, THAT!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3397923)   #6754
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The Peugeot 905 got pole at Le Mans 1992 with a 3:21.200, that's faster than last year's pole by the R18 (even though that car could probably have gone faster than the 3:22.346 it qualified with IMO).
Today's cars speeds are set by specs. created by what ever sanction they are bowing to.
Old cars whether 10, 20, 40, 50 etc. years ago would all be faster with todays rubber and engine building techniques BUT if controlled by today's spec. happy sanctions they would still be only as much faster as allowed.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3398310)   #6755
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

What Scot Elkins says basically points out how badly bungled was this "unification."
And how convenient they erred on the side of benefitting the DP teams...
Old 25 Apr 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3398314)   #6756
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
And how convenient they erred on the side of benefitting the DP teams...
Jordan Taylor and Richard Westbrook were both making dumb comments on Twitter about the changes today.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3398317)   #6757
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Enlighten us. Myself, I am far too old to twitter

Last edited by skycafe; 26 Apr 2014 at 00:31. Reason: spelling
Old 26 Apr 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3398318)   #6758
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Enlighten us. Myself, I am far to old to twitter
Taylor said something to the effect of "now they'll find something else to complain about" and Westbrook told Ryan Dalziel to fill the P2 car up with gas so the DPs wouldn't be slowed down even more.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3398319)   #6759
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are just playing to their fans. Can't fault them for that.

I might not like their attitudes, but at least they are allowed to say stuff ... I'd be a lot less happy if TUSC started fining drivers for disrespectful tweets.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3398329)   #6760
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They are just playing to their fans. Can't fault them for that.

I might not like their attitudes, but at least they are allowed to say stuff ... I'd be a lot less happy if TUSC started fining drivers for disrespectful tweets.
They seem to play right into the NASCAR demographic.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:56 (Ref:3398344)   #6761
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The Peugeot 905 got pole at Le Mans 1992 with a 3:21.200, that's faster than last year's pole by the R18 (even though that car could probably have gone faster than the 3:22.346 it qualified with IMO).
We're the muslanne chicanes there ten?
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:01 (Ref:3398345)   #6762
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Wiki ' d it and answered my own question...they were put there in 90..so this is impressive..
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:01 (Ref:3398346)   #6763
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
yes
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3398370)   #6764
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This site will show you the changes made to the track, where when and why http://www.maisonblanche.co.uk/circuits.html
Old 26 Apr 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3398466)   #6765
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/st...r-full-season/
Nice, Starworks keeping Sam Bird for the full season with Martin Fuentes
Old 26 Apr 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3398519)   #6766
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/st...r-full-season/
Nice, Starworks keeping Sam Bird for the full season with Martin Fuentes
No update on the hpd dp? I was hoping to see that car on track,bummer.....
Old 26 Apr 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3398527)   #6767
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
No update on the hpd dp? I was hoping to see that car on track,bummer.....

I seem to remember them saying they were aiming to be back at the Glen?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3398865)   #6768
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing to consider that was pointed out by Sport Auto:

The new DP have a reasonably big footprint and a very large diffusor. A diffusor allows for two things:

1) loads of downforce without increasing drag much (which means you don't have a big impact on your top speed)

2) Downforce that is somewhat susceptible to bumps, but doesn't care at all if its in dirty air from driving behind another car.

DP develop a larger percentage of their downforce from their diffusors, because they are abnormously large compared to P2 diffusors. So they get their downforce without a hit to their top speed AND they don't lose much downforce in traffic.

so basically this just compounds the problem of the top-speed and power advantages the DP already have because of their engines.

sportscar 365 reported on the DP engines losing between 10-14hp iirc due to smaller restrictors for NA engines (1.0mm reduction) and turbo engines (0.9mm reduction).

I don't think we'll see much impact from that.

However, I don't think you'll need to do much to make the cars more equal.

The best option imo (because it actually doesn't cost anybody ANY money) would be to turn back on the pit rules and make it so you have to change tires seperately from drivers changes and fueling. Not only would there be more strategy, but it would buff P2 because they can double-stint more easily. Also, it would help P2 on restarts because they now have the chance to start on old tires that are at least somewhat warm. It also saves money, because it saves the number of tires used.

imo, this is a solution even the DP teams could get behind because even if they lose an edge, it actually saves them money.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3399219)   #6769
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post

The best option imo (because it actually doesn't cost anybody ANY money) would be to turn back on the pit rules and make it so you have to change tires seperately from drivers changes and fueling. Not only would there be more strategy, but it would buff P2 because they can double-stint more easily. Also, it would help P2 on restarts because they now have the chance to start on old tires that are at least somewhat warm. It also saves money, because it saves the number of tires used.

imo, this is a solution even the DP teams could get behind because even if they lose an edge, it actually saves them money.
I don't see this happening because it would mean less money for big sponsor Continental.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3399269)   #6770
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think it has anything to do with how much money Continental would make--they could simply raise their prices slightly.

I think it has more to do with NASCAR's idea that fans don't want to see cars sitting in the pits with no one running around like crazy---where's the thrill in that?
Old 28 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3399306)   #6771
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it has more to do with NASCAR's idea that fans don't want to see cars sitting in the pits with no one running around like crazy---where's the thrill in that?
If we are gonna get nuts on pitstops, then lets get nuts.

Pressurized fuel rigs, 3 guys per wheel, two for the windshield/lights, two for the driver change, one on the airjack..
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 Apr 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3399337)   #6772
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a major team withdrawing from IMSA this past week? Who was it?
Old 28 Apr 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3399342)   #6773
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Wasn't there a major team withdrawing from IMSA this past week? Who was it?
There was no announcement. My guess is that the BoP adjustment quenched that fire....for now.

I reached out to my contacts, all have been silent on the matter. That's my best guess.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3399434)   #6774
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
However, I don't think you'll need to do much to make the cars more equal.

^ This would be awesome!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3399436)   #6775
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The current IMSA rules, really take a lot of the drama out of the pitstops. Most teams can have all four tires changed, by the time the fueling is finished, which negates the effect of a faster pit crew.
Last season, Team Falken often gained a lot of time, due to their great pitstops. Now there really is no advantage to be gained, unless somebody makes a mistake.
Closed Thread