Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jul 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3101848)   #701
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of which, Heidfeld will be driving @ Supercup support race for Hockenheim GP... probably doing it just for fun but maybe a toe in the water?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3101859)   #702
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it means anything. He will also be in an Aussie V8 race later this year.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3101860)   #703
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
I don't think it means anything. He will also be in an Aussie V8 race later this year.
Well we can argue about the porkie round but participating the Gold Coast 600 definitely won't mean anything as it is just the annual event for international guest drivers
Old 4 Jul 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3101874)   #704
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well we can argue about the porkie round but participating the Gold Coast 600 definitely won't mean anything as it is just the annual event for international guest drivers
Yeah, but Heidfeld racing a lot of stuff may be a symptom of Edwards-Bleekemolen syndrome: now that he's out of F1, he's trying his hand at a lot of things and he may end up with a 2013 racing season that borders on the insane (what is it, 37 race weekends for Edwards this year? Including seven 24h races?)
Old 4 Jul 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3101913)   #705
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just read on Autosport that the Supercup entry came from an invitation from Porsche AG. This sounds like they must be courting him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100899
Old 4 Jul 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3101954)   #706
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
On September 28th 2014 Sascha Maassen will turn 45. It's not likely he will be one of the drivers, however, and as stated before, I would not be surprised if he had a role in testing.
I didn't remember he was so old! At this point, I think you're right. It would be very hard for Maassen to have a role in P1 project!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3102012)   #707
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Just read on Autosport that the Supercup entry came from an invitation from Porsche AG. This sounds like they must be courting him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100899
Most definetly. He's german and he's a tailormade endurance driver weather he knew it or not. Very smooth but quick driving style. Easy on the tires.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3102024)   #708
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pat Long was not that impressive in the #6 Penske. I dont know if the 6 was getting inferior equipment but that car never quite had the speed of the 7 car or the entire Acura gang. Perhaps a second chance in the P1 will put him on the pace. But if Pat leaves FLM then will Joerg go as well? Its quite possible that Joerg and Pat do both the P1 and the GT car but that would mean they would have to choose a team for Le Mans. And Sebring. Unless Flying Lizard gets promoted to P1.

What are the chances that Porsche teams with one of the GT teams? Felbermayr or FLM basically. I only see driver chaos if they dont. Porsche will want some of the GT drivers and that means FLM and Felbermayr wont get those guys.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3102066)   #709
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My take is that there will most probably be (at least) two drivers graduating from GT.
They will be Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz.
We know that Porsche want to develop Marc's roles withing the team to take on more and more engineering tasks. Therefore we can expect that he will be heavily involved in the development of the the LMP1 cars.
Richard Lietz is very fast indeed. It remains to be seen if he can be as fast in a LMP car.
Marc will be 34 in 2014, and Richard will be 31. Both will be mature , but not old.
There may be another two drivers graduating from GT:
Pat Long will be 33 in 2014 and so his age will not be an issue. He also has LMP experience and is quick enough and very safe. (Porsche tends to have a conservative streak)
The other is Pilet. Patrick Pilet has lately been on fire. He is super quick and so it also remains to be seen if he has the same speed in a LMP car.
I'm quite sure that Porsche will give them all a fair shake at securing a seat.
I expect that we will see two (or three) of the junior drivers be seconded to customer GT teams in 2013 in order to start gaining experience to take over from the lucky drivers that graduate to the LMP project.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3102076)   #710
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Marco Holzer ? He has proven, that he can be very fast in Formula Cars (and so, nowadays Formula-like LMP1) with winning the famous Formula BMW Race at Macau. He is very young and very fast. I'm a bit wondered, why he was never mentioned before ?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3102085)   #711
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everything is possible.
If Holzer proves that he is fast enough in the LMP car, I don't see any reason for him not to be included.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3102261)   #712
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I would hope to see either the Lizards or Falken running one in the ALMS . Porsche has alwys supported the ALMS/IMSA 935/962/997/Spyder , and its an important market for them too .

Just hope they back an existing team , and not like they did with Penske a few years ago .
Old 5 Jul 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3102272)   #713
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'll go for whatever they see as best I imagine, has there been any word from Joest about Porsche that I've missed?
Old 5 Jul 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3102368)   #714
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I would hope to see either the Lizards or Falken running one in the ALMS . Porsche has alwys supported the ALMS/IMSA 935/962/997/Spyder , and its an important market for them too .

Just hope they back an existing team , and not like they did with Penske a few years ago .
I personally hope they back a new team, like they did with Penske a few years ago, so it actually adds numbers to the grid.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3102375)   #715
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Few years ago, BMS Scuderia Italia was interested to manage RS Spyder, but they didn't do it because Porsche left the team, wich was supported by Pirelli, instead Porsche was officially linked with Michelin.
BMS has raced GT1 in 1997, with Porsche 911 GT1, and is a very professional and winning team. Maybe Porsche interested to have a cooperation with them? Is just a mere speculation, but I would love to see an italian team winning with a Porsche, maybe in Le Mans!
Old 5 Jul 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3102385)   #716
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Few years ago, BMS Scuderia Italia was interested to manage RS Spyder, but they didn't do it because Porsche left the team, wich was supported by Pirelli, instead Porsche was officially linked with Michelin.
BMS has raced GT1 in 1997, with Porsche 911 GT1, and is a very professional and winning team. Maybe Porsche interested to have a cooperation with them? Is just a mere speculation, but I would love to see an italian team winning with a Porsche, maybe in Le Mans!
Where have BMS been over the last few years? They've pretty much disappeared off the radar internationally anyway. Would be nice to see another red and white Porsche on the grid.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3102387)   #717
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
What a surprise seeing your avatar and location! .

But yes, BMS is a very good team, but cannot add much in the development of a Prototype, compared to Rebellion or Pescarolo
Old 5 Jul 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3102392)   #718
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
What a surprise seeing your avatar and location! .

But yes, BMS is a very good team, but cannot add much in the development of a Prototype, compared to Rebellion or Pescarolo
It's true, but BMS has a good experience in endurance races, and has worked with Porsche. Tiziano Minuti (team manager) told me in 2007 in Vallelunga (Italian GT and GT Open races), BMS was seriously interested to work in P2, with a Porsche Spyder. The only troubles were the costs, but they were not so worried for their experience. P1 is much expensive than P2, but I'm sure if Porsche help a customer team, BMS has enough resources to do it. Dreams don't cost a thing, so I would be pleased to see it happens!
Old 5 Jul 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3102404)   #719
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The German article linked here before mentions that Porsche want to make it an in-house effort though and that they hired/are hiring over 100 new people.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3102426)   #720
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
BMS is a very good team, but cannot add much in the development of a Prototype, compared to Rebellion or Pescarolo
How do you make that out ?

Pescarolo isnt a shadow of what it once was , bare minimum in the workshop front .

Rebellion , what do they do that BMS cant ?
Old 5 Jul 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3102435)   #721
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
How do you make that out ?

Pescarolo isnt a shadow of what it once was , bare minimum in the workshop front .

Rebellion , what do they do that BMS cant ?
Pescarolo build the 03.
Rebellion has run LMP1's for years now.

BMS has done none of those.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3102458)   #722
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
build isn't the most accurate word talking about pescarolo. The 01 and 01 evo was a partially/totally modified tub of c60 with a more developed and updated bodywork; the 03 is the amr-one with some aero improvement and a different engine.
Porsche has enough personell to project, build, develope and run the car without the help of any private team.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3102460)   #723
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
build isn't the most accurate word talking about pescarolo. The 01 and 01 evo was a partially/totally modified tub of c60 with a more developed and updated bodywork; the 03 is the amr-one with some aero improvement and a different engine.
Porsche has enough personell to project, build, develope and run the car without the help of any private team.
We have had this discussion before!
The 01 was a Pescarolo build car, no matter how you see it. - End of discussion.

The 03 uses the AMR Tub and nose, but otherwise is a totally different car. Therefor "build" i in my opinion ok to use.

And yes, Porsche can do it themselves, but what we were discussing is BMS's potential as Porsche Partner.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3102464)   #724
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMS last (super lucky) victory with a 997 was at 2010 24h of spa! after that i didn't see the team running in any other important race until now.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3102515)   #725
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
BMS last (super lucky) victory with a 997 was at 2010 24h of spa! after that i didn't see the team running in any other important race until now.
Super-lucky win... but was the only non-works team. Ever read Autosprint chronicle of the race? Car was the last developement of the 997 RSR (according to Autosprint analysis of the race), and was not supported by Stuttgart, differently from AF and BMW... It's very hard to win a 24 hours just because you're lucky...
BMS has won 24 hours of Spa (twice), and has been 2nd in Le Mans. Not so bad results... (http://www.scuderiaitalia.it/palmares.php). Anyway, they've stopped activity, in the last two years. But... how I've said, was just an hope...

Last edited by Dario911; 5 Jul 2012 at 18:04.