Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Jul 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3109313)   #1
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
2012 Edmonton Indy

The weekend at Edmonton City Centre Airport kicked off on-track running today.

The 13-turn, 2.256-mile circuit has seen some refinements and new paving since last year's first race on the revised layout.

In the two practice sessions so far, fast times have dipped roughly two seconds under last year's pole time. I would guess that about half a second of that is due to the new car. Some time may have been gained with the tires, while a bit more may have come from new asphalt in places. I'm also a bit suspicious though, that a few spots have seen slight reprofiling.

So far, Honda has been showing strongly, but things looked more even in Practice 2, and Ganassi isn't right at the front just at the moment.

There may be some rain tomorrow, so we'll see if things get a little mixed up come Practice 3, and particularly in Qualifying.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3109360)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For quite a while now it seems to me that the Edmonton round should be amongst the first ones to leave the schedule if the IZOD IndyCar Series wants to include more classic tracks in its schedule, much like Belle Isle, despite it having produced some good racing over the years, much unlike Belle Isle. However, for a balanced schedule, an airport track like that is necessary, so the obvious suggestions to replace it would be Cleveland's Burke Lakefront Airport, the Portland, Oregon circuit, or Sebring.

This one may be the final airport race at Edmonton with the race having to move away from the airport for next year.

So this is our last chance to watch a race on this track. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3109400)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This track is hardly anyone's favourite round... IMO second Canadian round is a MUST though so why not replace this with legendary GP3R @ Trois-Rivieres, Lights are heading there anyways...

Meanwhile, they've shrunken Justin:

Old 21 Jul 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3109472)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yannick, where did Portland come from as a replacement for an airport circuit?

Chiana, I think Trois Rivieres is a bit on the tight side for IndyCar, and I still can't figure out how they sorted out pit stalls there when the ALMS visited in 2002-03. The stretches at Trois Rivieres make the "straights" at Belle Isle look generous.

BTW, the Edmonton contract goes through 2013, and I'm unaware of any other circuit in the area that would be even remotely capable of hosting IndyCar.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3109480)   #5
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The old Edmonton circuit was one of my favourite circuits in Indycar, sadly because of the runway closures it is gone. Used to attract one of the biggest crowds, and the old turn 1 grandstands were some of the best seats you could get. With no title sponsor and Octane wanting to move their race closer to home there is talk 2013 will be the last race at Edmonton

Trois Rivieres is horrible though, the scenery and atmosphere in the city is great but IMO the circuit is not suitable for Indycars. It's a bit like Monaco but even worse for overtaking. Indycar has already added a street parade in Houston so the series doesn't need another. Right now Edmonton is their best option, and considering only 20k turned up to Toronto Indycar isn't that popular in the Big North especially without Tracy. The question is what will (if at all) be their second Canadian race if Edmonton leaves the calender.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3109486)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Cleveland's Burke Lakefront Airport
I miss this race.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3109548)   #7
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic atmosphere at this year's Edmonton Indy:

Old 22 Jul 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3109757)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I miss this race.
Bring Cleveland back, Edmonton in both it's forms was a poor man's replacement.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3109760)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Power get's a grid penalty for changing engines.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101398

As does RHR.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/07-...-incur-penalty

That should make things interesting, .
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3109883)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Has anyone got a decent feed?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3109930)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
My god. The announcers are awful.

It's been quite an interesting race so far. If you were blind, you would have no idea.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3109933)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
My god. The announcers are awful.

It's been quite an interesting race so far. If you were blind, you would have no idea.
I've got such a bad feed I have barely any idea what's going on, .
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3109940)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I wonder how long Sato can keep it in second place?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3109947)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
I have a bad feeling this might end in tears...
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3109948)   #15
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Push to Defend working great again...
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3109959)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Helio, just what he needed and nice to see Sato get a podium and not trash the car.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3110011)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Good result from Sato. I actually admired the attitude of Hunter-Reay after the race, re. The Power incident.

The announcers reminded me of the Perry McCarthy commentary the BBC had for F1 that was designed for kids.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3110094)   #18
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helio's use of P2P as a defensive aide reminded me just why I prefer F1's DRS system.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3110099)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
Helio's use of P2P as a defensive aide reminded me just why I prefer F1's DRS system.
I personally don't like either.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3110101)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
I don't like DRS either, but why p2p sucks even more is that after the first half of the race, it basically becomes 'Push to Defend' as typically the guy out front in cleaner air has the use less of it. At least DRS sets out what it's supposed to do. We saw this in CCWS and in Indycar, the road races this year earlier this year were some of the best we've seen since the mid-90s, sadly as the drivers figure out P2P even more I expect to see some boring races this year and in 2013. I say toss it.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3110105)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
The road races this year earlier this year were some of the best we've seen since the mid-90s, sadly as the drivers figure out P2P even more I expect to see some boring races this year and in 2013. I say toss it.
Agreed, there's been some good road racing this year, so why introduce push to pass now? From what I saw, the racing seemed rather processional.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3110109)   #22
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, less gimmicks equate to better racing? Whodathunkit?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3110464)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Great race! This is an example of what I think: you don't need that many overtakes to have an entertaining fight in the lead.

I'm very happy that Hélio gets a second win. Actually, I'm surprised that he overtook Power in the championship standings. Anyway, RHR's seventh place lets him take the final stretch with some comfort.

Power's move on RHR was perfectly acceptable to me. If he was some 15 meters behind, then I'd agree he blocked RHR. But from the onboard camera, it doesn't really seem that RHR had to hit the brakes to avoid him.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3110471)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
This is an example of what I think: you don't need that many overtakes to have an entertaining fight in the lead.
Correct. Quality not quantity is the right standard to judge a race. It was a good race.

I'd have a stroke if they tried to put in DRS into Indycar. It's too hokey and complex. P2P isn't needed but if we must go gimmick at least it's simple.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3110822)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If there wasn't P2P, the situation of Hélio and Sato would have been more or less the same. It's not its fault that Sato couldn't overtake Hélio.

I like the new system where drivers have seconds rather than pushes. This allows them to use it 2 or 10 seconds, depending on how much they need.