Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 14 Mar 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3218464)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
USCC (leave your axe outside)

UnitedSportsCar
Racing

Prototype ............... (P) = DP, P2 & DW
Prototype Challenge (PC) = LMPC
GT Le Mans ........(GTLM) = GTE
GT Daytona .........(GTD) = GA-GT & GTc
GX.....*for now*......(GX) = GX

IMSA, is the sanctioning body for the new series

http://www.unitedsportscar.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355254754591408/

Atherton said P rules in 90 days

L.P.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3218479)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
GX needs to grow significantly for them to warrant cluttering things up with a fifth class. If they continue with so few cars, just merge it into GTD somehow. Alternatively, talk to the ACO, and open up some more options in GTLM: hybrids, diesels, etc.

I don't especially dislike the new name, but given what it is, I would just as soon have it be called the USRRC (even if there is a token round in Canada and/or Mexico). Funny thing, I just checked, and the old USRRC visited BOTH Canada and Mexico in 1968.

Last edited by Purist; 14 Mar 2013 at 20:27.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3218489)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
GX needs to grow significantly for them to warrant cluttering things up with a fifth class. If they continue with so few cars, just merge it into GTD somehow. Alternatively, talk to the ACO, and open up some more options in GTLM: hybrids, diesels, etc.

I don't especially dislike the new name, but given what it is, I would just as soon have it be called the USRRC (even if there is a token round in Canada and/or Mexico).
I agree about GX. To this point GX IMO is more in line with Conti, per their current performance level.
I think (hope) G'X' will become an add on to a class that best suits the individual cars that qualify as an 'X', performance level. From Conti all the way to GTLM.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 14 Mar 2013 at 20:26.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3218498)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Already a fake twitter account on the go by the looks of things.

Why do people bother I really don't know. https://twitter.com/USCRSeries
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3218509)   #5
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can seriously see Prototypes and GT cars combined for the larger circuits and separate races for the smaller circuits, and I can also see the Prototypes running on their own at Long Beach and Baltimore and the GT cars running on their own in Detroit and possibly Mosport.

I think the combined series needs to find a place for all of the circuits on both the ALMS and the Grand-Am series. Those circuits have stood behind both series, and now this combined series needs to step up and support ALL of the circuits.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3218528)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
As for the name, if you hate it, blame this fan from Florida

Quote:
The concept of having you help us write history began months ago. We needed a name for our new racing series. We asked for ideas from our fans of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and the GRAND-AM Rolex SportsCar Series.

Nearly 8,000 ideas were submitted! Louis Saterlee, 25, of Florida suggested United SportsCar Racing. What a great name, made even better by Louis’s story. He was hooked to motorsport at the age of two, was the 2011 Florida Karting Championship Series – Rookie of the Year, and has been attending both the Rolex 24 At Daytona and the Twelve Hours of Sebring with this father for 22 consecutive years!

“Sportscar racing became my religion,” explains Satterlee. As for the name? He adds, “United, because two series are now one. SportsCar because it’s what we do. And Racing because, is there really any other way these machines should be run?”
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3218535)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
I can seriously see Prototypes and GT cars combined for the larger circuits and separate races for the smaller circuits, and I can also see the Prototypes running on their own at Long Beach and Baltimore and the GT cars running on their own in Detroit and possibly Mosport.

I think the combined series needs to find a place for all of the circuits on both the ALMS and the Grand-Am series. Those circuits have stood behind both series, and now this combined series needs to step up and support ALL of the circuits.
I completely agree. I can see the 2014 USCR running a 15-20 race calendar. What do you guys think the schedule will look like? I suppose I'll take the first crack at it...

1. 24 Hours of Daytona (Jan.)
2. 12 Hours of Sebring (March)
3. Barber (April)
4. Long Beach (April)
5. Laguna Seca (May)
6. Detroit (June)
7. Mid-Ohio (June)
8. Sahlen's 6 Hours of the Glen (June)
9. Lime Rock (July)
10. Mosport (July)
11. Indy (July)
12. Road America (August)
13. Kansas (August)
14. Baltimore (August)
15. COTA (September)
16. VIR (October)
17. Petit Le Mans (October)

I'd like to see them add Sonoma, Miller, Montreal, and maybe another street race to make it twenty (like St. Petersburg, Toronto, Houston, etc.). Or that new NOLA Motorsports Park... that 6 mile layout looks pretty sweet!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3218536)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
By the way my suggestion was the United Sports Car Racing Championship... that rolls off the tongue better, but I'm too young to enter!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3218537)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post

Agreed. I hope they make it at least twelve rounds and send CTSCC, GT3, Pro Mazda (is that IMSA sanctioned anymore?), Lites and such to the circuits that are likely threatened by the unification of schedules. Of course, it won't mean much without the big series, I suspect. For the sake of the circuits, I wish SCCA Pro Racing could draw significantly on standalone weekends like they did in the Trans-Am era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
As for the name, if you hate it, blame this fan from Florida

I feel bad that Louis' idea has been so roundly dismissed by fans from across the board. He is one of my fellow "centrists", a member of the Midweek Motorsports Listener's Collective and a nice guy. His words really resonate for me. I too have made the pilgrimage to Florida year after year and to have SportsCar racing back under one roof really is a best of both worlds situation. He was excited by unification, hence his inclusion of "United" in the title and he is getting roasted. I don't think he designed the helmet logo, FWIW! Haha!

I think the brand will catch on with the hardcore the same way ALMS and Grand-Am caught on. To future fans United SportsCar Racing will simply mean sports car racing. The true meaning of United will likely be lost on them, but that is irrelevant in the long run. The idea will be to stay united and grow. No problems with the branding, which is likely to change with the inclusion of sponsorship branding.

Chris

Edit: my idea of a likely schedule

24 Hours of Daytona
12 Hours of Sebring
Grand Prix of Long Beach (split races or one of P & PC or GTLM & GTD racing with IndyCar)
Laguna Seca
Detroit
Watkins Glen 6 Hours
Mosport
Indy
Mid-Ohio
Road America
CoTA
Petit Le Mans
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3218550)   #10
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hate to be negative (no, seriously) but "United" is a ridiculous word to include.

Did the series organizers think it would only last a couple years? By 2018 or 2020 no one will care about ALMS or Rolex, and there will only have been a single series for five or seven years. What will "united" mean then? As well call it "atavistic."

No offense to the guy who thought it up, but he was thinking of the Very short term, the actual period while the merger is being effected. After that ... well, my wife is no longer "my fiancee, you know"? We are no longer "engaged."

On top of that, Use-Car, or Us-Car ... neither rolls off the tongue. Rather they skid off the tongue ripping flesh as they go.

Add to that the meaningless, simplistic, non-identifying logo ("Hey, look at the sticker on this guy's hauler----I guess he sells helmets,") and wht it comes down to is ALMS has once again spent a ridiculous sum of money to get it Totally Wrong.

Scott Atherton emphasized that they knew they only had one chance to get it right---so they paid the firm which handles the NFL, NHL and Kentucky Derby---and then went with a submission from a kart driver, and a logo that communicates nothing.

Bravo.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3218554)   #11
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
20 races looks nice on paper, what will not look nice on paper is the figure next to "Budget:".

Can't possibly find the link, but I think during one of the previous announcements somebody from ALMS/IMSA side was talking about the 12-round calendar.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3218557)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
20 races looks nice on paper, what will not look nice on paper is the figure next to "Budget:".

Can't possibly find the link, but I think during one of the previous announcements somebody from ALMS/IMSA side was talking about the 12-round calendar.
Yep.

L.P.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3218566)   #13
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new name and logo will take me some getting used to also - but I will get used to it and am happy we finally have something to call this other than "the merger".

20 races seems like alot unless the schedule really takes travel into account, but F1 has that many races all over the world. In my opinion 15 seems about right starting with Daytona 24 in Jan. thru Petit in October. That is aprox. 2-3 races per month with some breaks during the season + summer break/Le Mans. That should be enough to keep people interested. I do like the GTLM class designation...
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3218568)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I hope they make it at least twelve rounds and send CTSCC, GT3, Pro Mazda (is that IMSA sanctioned anymore?), Lites and such to the circuits that are likely threatened by the unification of schedules. Of course, it won't mean much without the big series, I suspect. For the sake of the circuits, I wish SCCA Pro Racing could draw significantly on standalone weekends like they did in the Trans-Am era.

I think the brand will catch on with the hardcore the same way ALMS and Grand-Am caught on. To future fans United SportsCar Racing will simply mean sports car racing. The true meaning of United will likely be lost on them, but that is irrelevant in the long run. The idea will be to stay united and grow. No problems with the branding, which is likely to change with the inclusion of sponsorship branding.

Chris
I am of the same mind.

L.P.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3218570)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Hate to be negative (no, seriously) but "United" is a ridiculous word to include.

Did the series organizers think it would only last a couple years? By 2018 or 2020 no one will care about ALMS or Rolex, and there will only have been a single series for five or seven years. What will "united" mean then? As well call it "atavistic."
I think it was Ed Bennett who said he hopes that in the future the 'united' part of the name represents the united nature of the teams, partners/suppliers in the series.

So united as a pose to being at war?
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3218573)   #16
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am at work and did not get to see the entire announcement so not sure if this was covered. Was there a mention of a title sponsor? Rolex, Continental, Patron ect. or not announced yet...
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3218576)   #17
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
I am at work and did not get to see the entire announcement so not sure if this was covered. Was there a mention of a title sponsor? Rolex, Continental, Patron ect. or not announced yet...
Said it was still being discussed/hashed out.

L.P.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3218578)   #18
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

No offense to the guy who thought it up, but he was thinking of the Very short term, the actual period while the merger is being effected. After that ... well, my wife is no longer "my fiancee, you know"? We are no longer "engaged."

On top of that, Use-Car, or Us-Car ... neither rolls off the tongue. Rather they skid off the tongue ripping flesh as they go.

Add to that the meaningless, simplistic, non-identifying logo ("Hey, look at the sticker on this guy's hauler----I guess he sells helmets,") and wht it comes down to is ALMS has once again spent a ridiculous sum of money to get it Totally Wrong.

Scott Atherton emphasized that they knew they only had one chance to get it right---so they paid the firm which handles the NFL, NHL and Kentucky Derby---and then went with a submission from a kart driver, and a logo that communicates nothing.

Bravo.
How relevant is United in United States of America? Still a pretty great name, if its original meaning is for the most part lost on the public day-to-day. I suppose if you don't like it in sports cars you can call it IMSA. I don't think people would refer to the US as CC (Continental Congress) or CCNFA (Continental Congress Nation Forming Association - their logo had an arrow in it too, right? Or was that a musket?).

In all seriousness, I had the same opinion as you. It does seem quite short-sighted initially. But we'll see what it winds up being called (the Rolex Series, IMSA?) at least colloquially.

Chris
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3218584)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:

Bravo.
Hmm, and just how many times did you refer to the ALMS, as the word alms(meaning charity) vs A·L·M·S ?

As to United. In the future it COULD refer to inclusiveness of Canada and Mexico. Or on an International scale, by being united with the ACO.

But then again it seems some will never be pleased with it.

L.P.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3218586)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've never really liked the o in sport or sportscar. I'd have had an a, spartscar. Rubbish colour too.
P rules coming in 90 days. Can't wait to not like them too.

Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3218587)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Separate post, for something not sarcastic.

I think the drip feed is working quite well. The key one is the P regs in three months, 10 days before LM.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3218592)   #22
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
^^^^
We need an entire forum for sarcasm...

The "drip feed" is coming along - at least it now feels like something has happened, that some decisions have/are being made...
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3218594)   #23
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Cottonballs: United Sportscar Racing???
Old 14 Mar 2013, 23:03 (Ref:3218602)   #24
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Here is the new IMSA logo:

Old 14 Mar 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3218609)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
(Sarcasm Warning)

Ahh, the tilt in the logo to signify rapid movement. If they take this thing on a road tour, they need an appropriate vehicle as their travel coach.

I recommend this.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xMQIM7kDcS...600/PD4501.jpg

(Sarcasm Off)