Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 May 2015, 02:32 (Ref:3534181)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WANTED: LS7 ENGINE

Hi all,
I have a friend who is on the look out for an LS7 for his latest car build. Does anyone know of any going at the moment?

He is not concerned about the state it is in, and his budget is about 10k.

Preferably V8ST spec, but will look at other crate versions as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please PM me if you have any details of anyone wanting to part company with an LS7.

Thanks

Stu
Old 5 May 2015, 07:41 (Ref:3534232)   #2
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi all,
I have a friend who is on the look out for an LS7 for his latest car build. Does anyone know of any going at the moment?

He is not concerned about the state it is in, and his budget is about 10k.

Preferably V8ST spec, but will look at other crate versions as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please PM me if you have any details of anyone wanting to part company with an LS7.

Thanks

Stu
Tell him to look at buying from the us, v8st spec at what stage? still wont get one, look for a lower ls crate motor and build from there depending of his requirements.
Old 5 May 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3534240)   #3
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks for the useful info BP. I will pass this on to the young fella.
As far as ST spec goes, as up to date as possible and ideally dry sumped.

Thanks again
Old 5 May 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3534246)   #4
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the useful info BP. I will pass this on to the young fella.
As far as ST spec goes, as up to date as possible and ideally dry sumped.

Thanks again
Hi Stu,

You friend will have to pay a lot more than $10K for a full V8ST engine c/w dry sump pump etc.

I have one ex V8ST Ls7 engine for sale without dry-sump for $15K PM me if you friend is interested.

I also have a lot of brand new and used Ls7 engine parts, like engine block, crankshaft, rod's, forged piston's, rebuilt cylinder heads etc.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 6 May 2015, 07:09 (Ref:3534623)   #5
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks Mark,
I have taken on board your comments and passed them on.

I have just had an email from JMR regarding a LS7 they have for sale. Will see how it goes.

Purely out of interest, does anyone (Mark in particular) know how many V8ST spec LS7's there are in NZ full stop? Just curious.....

Thanks again guys

Stu
Old 6 May 2015, 07:24 (Ref:3534628)   #6
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Thanks Mark,

I have just had an email from JMR regarding a LS7 they have for sale. Will see how it goes.

Purely out of interest, does anyone (Mark in particular) know how many V8ST spec LS7's there are in NZ full stop? Just curious.....

Thanks again guys

Stu
What spec? some have valve springs done some don't, blue printed with the new rods and such who knows. Eugene corkery imported his own ones after the first one went bang. So whom to say others didn't do the same.
Old 6 May 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3534645)   #7
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Any spec BP. Right from the 1st ever to the latest imported engine
Old 6 May 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3534648)   #8
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Any spec BP. Right from the 1st ever to the latest imported engine
First are factory dry sumped, you have not said what its intended purpose is for. it makes a difference. or just call marsh or edgell as they are/were the control builders.

First spec is just a crate motor, still out of that price range. even the nzv8 guys had issuies with there ls engines. spend 10k to get a handgrenade not worth it.
Old 6 May 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3534886)   #9
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Mark,

Thanks again guys

Stu
There are at least 40 Ls7 engines in New Zealand that I know of, they are still the best bang for buck crate engine you can buy, and depending on what your friend ultimately wants to do with the engine, they can be very reliable engines straight out of the box.

If he wants to use it for circuit racing then he needs to gear it so that it never exceeds 6,300 RPM, because the standard scavenge section of the twin G'rotor pump can not keep up with the oil delivery to the mains and big end, and so rapidly over fills the factory dry sump. There is however a very inexpensive and simple solution to that issue by fitting the engine with a secondary bolt on scavenge pump, which is about 1K to buy, plus fitting.

The very best thing your friend can do for himself is ring Randle Edgell, 09-444-6922 and talk to him. No question he has built more LS7 engines, at least 15, than anybody else in New Zealand and can source everything directly from the USA at very good prices, including a complete crate engine.
Old 7 May 2015, 02:27 (Ref:3535001)   #10
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
^^Thanks Mark, that is exactly the info I was after

Me mate has a 2001 Holden Commodore (at least I think its about 2001), and it currently has an LS1 and I think its also a manual (good man!). He wants to basically make a street legal rocket. He was introduced to the LS7 at SuperTourer meetings that I got him to attend as one of my clients. He spent some time talking to various engineers and team owners etc, and I think most of the conversation around the LS7 was very positive in terms of performance and reliability.

He's your classic young bloke who loves his drifting, and I think he's seen a couple of the drifter guys using LS7's as well (I think one of the top drifters uses and ex-ST engine??). I also believe that ex ST LS7's have been used in powerboats too, but happy to be corrected there.

He's also a talented engine bay-detailer for 'show cars'. He has won awards for his craftsmanship. So I think his intention will be to make a wolf in sheeps clothing, but under the hood will be a pristine LS7, which may be force fed its food. But you will also be able to eat your dinner off it....that's my take on his intentions anyway. He's only young, but he's clearly one of those 'can-do' types that spend time in the workshop and fiddles about with all sorts of engine bits and pieces. He told me the other day that he likes to do things to cars that people reckon is impossible. I find that kind of attitude to all aspects of life encouraging. Hence why I am grateful for the good people in our Msport community that give advice and their time on matters such as this.

The JMR engine (which is wet-sumped) sounds like the best deal at this point, so hopefully they can negotiate a deal. I'm just the middle man here.

Mark, your technical comments above are gold, and its stuff like that which will be very useful for him, so thanks for taking the time to write your posts - it is much appreciated

I'll pass Randles info on to him as well.

Cheers, and maybe, if you're up in the north and a 2001 Holden comes flying past you, it could be the one with the LS7 in it!!

I guess if money was no option then the LSX could be a bit of fun too!
Old 9 May 2015, 00:16 (Ref:3535688)   #11
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
(I think one of the top drifters uses and ex-ST engine??).
I believe Gaz Whiter's Nissan Silvia has/had an ex Booth LS7. The Sky Zhao 350z runs an ex US Formula Drift LS7.