Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 May 2004, 13:41 (Ref:966492)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
Anyway, Dave had purchased the an ex CC car, that Chatfield ran but he wasn't exactly sure who had driven it. He said it had flared arches (eughhh yuk!!) and some spare red basic wings. That'll be a Shell Spice or Rouse car then, i said!! Dave is planning to race it with a 3.4 engine at Nurburgring to beat Porsches and stuff, but he isn't planning on fully restoring it at the mo !
He ran it at Mallory 25th April in Classic Thunder.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:39 (Ref:970024)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Peter,

What's it look like? can't remember last time i saw that particular car in action and don't know what colours it's got! How did he get on?

I wasn't able to make it to Mallory myself, subsequently unable to come and say hello to you, sorry Peter.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:23 (Ref:970185)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His usual colours of Blue and white. Its got the big wings etc. I wondered about it's history.
Old 14 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:970994)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If you go to this thread
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=54261

You'll find a pic with David chasing an XJS in his new car.
Old 14 May 2004, 21:28 (Ref:971322)   #30
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be co-driving this car at the Ring with Dave next month, really looking forward to it. Gordon Spice's brother saw the car at Spa last weekend and says Gordon will pop in and see Dave soon.
The "other" Gordon in the "OK Yah" Capri was Gordon Lauder who used to race Super Rods. David Oates, John Clark and Roy Eaton won the Willhire with this car and then finished third the following year with Gordon Lauder.
Terry Nichols Capri was heavily modified by Gartrac to take a GAA V6 engine. Terry and Les Blackburn did a few early Thundersaloon races in the car. I drove the car at Donington and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 23 May 2004, 20:46 (Ref:980389)   #31
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just spotted this post. Thank you Chunterer and Rod for plugging some holes in the faded memory.
I joined Gordon and Roy in OK YAH when we came third. One of the memories from that year was being out braked by James Weaver in a very inferior Capri from half a mile back down the main straight - out of fear of being in his way and his lack of brakes.
Terry Nichols I came across very much earlier.I bought a 105E from hime in 1966 when living in Worthing. My first fondly remembered car.
Later though, John Greasley told some interesting stories about a Capri or was it a Sierra with a 935 engine in it - very 'interesting' goings on with Terry in the middle of it, including trans atlantic trips. Others may know more.

Last edited by gfm; 23 May 2004 at 20:48.
Old 24 May 2004, 15:40 (Ref:981454)   #32
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
Later though, John Greasley told some interesting stories about a Capri or was it a Sierra with a 935 engine in it - very 'interesting' goings on with Terry in the middle of it, including trans atlantic trips. Others may know more.
Would that be the Porsche-powered Sierra that briefly appeared in Thundersaloons in 1989?- It appears a couple of times in this thread-
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...n&pagenumber=2
Old 27 May 2004, 09:23 (Ref:984855)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No worries gfm,

Suppose it's slightly worrying that i can remember that car as i was only 9 or 10 at the time!!

Always been a Capri fan. There was another prodsaloon guy at the time who was an absolute maniac, but extremely entertaining to watch - Sven or Steven Platt i think his name was. Whatever happened to him?

Good memory is of a road 2.0s that my dad had as company car around that time. It was a white one (he got that colour because of the Esso Grp 1 cars i think!)We were on the way to Thruxton on the old A417 (before they made it into a dual carriageway all the way along) for a BTCC meeting, probably the Whitsun bank holiday round in '84. The weather wasn't too good anyway. Basically he made a bit of a faux pas as we came up behind a tanker and what appeared to be only one car in front of it.

However, as we drew alongside the tanker, overtaking it, we both noticed that there were rather more cars to get by than at first indicated. Then to make matters worse an estate car appeasred at a junction on the right and began to pull out towards us! Dad just veered to the right and god knows how but we managed to avoid any major dramas (or written off Capri) by skating into a bus layby just prior to the junction and up into the hedge.

Dad was a bit embarrassed i think but we just looked at each other a bit sheepishly and i said to him:
"should've got a 2.8i instead!"

By the way Rod, interesting to hear about Gordy going to Spa to see one of his old cars. He was one hell of a driver in his day. Wasn't much between him and Vince, both of them were arguably quicker than Andy Rouse at the time and look what he went onto achieve in saloons!!

Also thanks, Peter, i'll have a look at the pics! Just hope Dave eventually gets rid of the flared arches and returns it to original red!
Old 27 May 2004, 09:57 (Ref:984892)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

It would be nice if Gordon did go to Spa this year (mine is a sort of homage to the man).

The Capri tends to drag you into its heritage really. It is arguably the most recognisable "touring" car ever made. Yet whenever you mention you "race" a Capri (in my case "plod around") you get one of two reactions. "I had/my Father had one of those" or "You race a Dagenham dustin" followed by guffaws.

Well I was always an MG man (still have an MGB) but I have to say that to get a Capri working properly you need to be a good driver like Dave T, Martin West etc. Which is why I'd like more time in my car. With time I can compete with the others in my class but it takes very little for the "skill" to leave you. So I have great respect for Vince, Gordon, Jeff, Andy et al for making these cars work and giving us such tremendous entertainment.

In the time I've had it, my Capri has provided more smiles per second than any other car I've driven including a short spell in school FFords.

Sorry if a little off topic.
Old 27 May 2004, 10:14 (Ref:984910)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Top man!!
Old 27 May 2004, 12:40 (Ref:985050)   #36
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I'm new to the forum, with all this talk about Capri's I thought it's time I registered & joined in

I raced Capri's between 1987-97 in Slick 50, Toyo Supers & Falken Modprods, still have the car plus a couple of roadgoing examples.

Were any of the other ModSaloons ex BTCC cars, like the Metro Breakers car or Colin Woodcocks ?

Here is a pic of Brian Chatfield in the ex Vince Woodman car at a misreble Coombe ('86 I think) still in Esso colours but with X-pack arches. (hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
c.jpg  
Old 27 May 2004, 13:48 (Ref:985112)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome Sarnie.

Why don't you get the car out in Classic Thunder if its built to Mod Prods spec?
Old 27 May 2004, 18:58 (Ref:985363)   #38
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter
Would like to get out again when finances allow & Classic Thunders would be an ideal choice, or just do a few races a year at Spa & the Ring.
IIRC we've only competed in the same race once at Spa in 97, I see your a bit of a regular there now & the car is looking very tidy in those Belga colours.

Here's a pic of mine going through Blanchimont in 97
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 28 May 2004, 00:24 (Ref:985614)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I remember that one! Hope to see you out soon then. Just looking at those rear tyres you appear to be "trying".
Old 28 May 2004, 13:54 (Ref:986278)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Nice couple of pics Simon?!

Think i may have seen your car in it's earlier guise when it was in failry basic spec as roadsaloon circa 90/91/92?

Peter'll probably be able to tell you anyway, but some of the history of the ex Grp 1 cars is sometimes very confusing. Dave Thomas and Ric Wood are well up on who's got what as well i think.

All i know is that Dave has an ex Spice car which Brian Chatfield later owned and a friend of mine, also called Dave, has the ex Woodman car (may well be the one in pic above!) which Ric Wood did a brilliant restoration job on back to 'full' Grp 1 spec.

Dave Cook of CC fame once told me that they built around 25 cars to Grp 1 spec but many of them went to Belgium and France and never came back?

Ric told me that he is planning to rebuild the ex Stuart Graham/Terry Nicholls car which was last run by Graham Waite i think?

With any luck Dave and Ric will come onto this thread and tell us more!

Aynoe else got any history knowledge to help us?
Old 28 May 2004, 14:09 (Ref:986305)   #41
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Streather raced a capri in mod-saloons, i think this was a ex brian chatfield car, i am pretty certain that brian chatfield had two capris at one time.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:17 (Ref:986316)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes he had 2 ex CC cars; one ex Spice now owned by Dave Thomas and one ex Woodman now owned by a chap in Swindon.

Brian raced both cars periodically in BTCC in 85/86 before concentrating on modsaloons.
Old 28 May 2004, 16:03 (Ref:986444)   #43
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Yeh that was mine in the Slick 50 days, & yes I did knick the idea of the silver lines from 'OK YAH'

Dave & Ric aren't allowed on here are they

I remember the first time Slick 50 went to Knockhill in 1990, me & Dave sneaked some lessons in with the circuit instructor, it must have worked because we had the front row to ourselves & the Rover boys were not amused when they found out. Dave lit his tyres up at the start & disappeared in a cloud of tyre smoke & spent the rest of the race getting back to the front, which left me to win both races.

Graham Waite's car was ex Dave Streather but if that was the ex Stuart Graham car I'm just wondering about this pic I have of Stuart Graham's Faberge car taken in the early 90's at a Ford workshop in Northolt covered in dust & looking as it did in it's Group 1 days.

Simon
Old 28 May 2004, 18:59 (Ref:986584)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm. The Faberge car appeared in the 1978 (?) Etcc round at Brands. (Working from memory here).
Old 29 May 2004, 15:17 (Ref:987302)   #45
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC

Here are some memory joggers, sixteen pictures from various 80's BTCC rounds at Brands and Silverstone. Not the best quality I am afaid but I thought I would share them with you anyway.

Top marks for correctly id'ing each car/driver.I have the programs and will add the driver and years soon

Last edited by Nordic; 29 May 2004 at 15:18.
Old 29 May 2004, 16:09 (Ref:987338)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Brilliant Rupert. I was at some of those too.

In there you've got the (Sir) Stirling Moss Audi. Rex Greenslade in the Rover - 1980 GP at Brands I suspect. Jeff Allam in Rover too. Vince Woodman, Gordon Spice, Andy Rouse and Brian Chatfield in Capris. (among others). A certain "gfm" who posts here and certainly Win Percy, both in the Pentax Mazdas. Then I suspect the "Liftback Toyota" is being peddled by Chris Hodgetts.

I could be totally wrong but what the hell. All great names and worth thinking about.

And wasn't the racing close?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:31 (Ref:990254)   #47
Screech
Rookie

Screech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures!

Thanks,
Screech.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:46 (Ref:990284)   #48
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive got a colour one of a capri i'll scan it and post it soon.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:02 (Ref:990389)   #49
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Pics. More please....especially Sanyo Rovers if you have them! Thanks
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:44 (Ref:990432)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes Rovers are really appropriate in this thread.