Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Jun 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1624360)   #1
speed8
Rookie

United Kingdom
speed8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche/Penske to go LMP1!!!?

Hello all, i'm new to this so be gentle with me

In your considered opinions can anybody see Porsche making the step up to LMP1, possibly for Le Mans 2007, to take on their pals at Audi?!! It makes sense to me.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1624380)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't this the plan all along?

So that the factory team wouldn't be competing against their customers.

And welcome to 10/10ths.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1624381)   #3
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree I cant personnally see them sitting around in LMP 2 for long whilst Audi and next years Peugoet.. Wouldnt it be nice although I think 2007 may be a bit quick but then the nextquestion would be how hard is it to make the RS Spyder a LMP2 into an LMP1 (If possibl) or would it be a new machine
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1624396)   #4
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ250575
I agree I cant personnally see them sitting around in LMP 2 for long whilst Audi and next years Peugoet.. Wouldnt it be nice although I think 2007 may be a bit quick but then the nextquestion would be how hard is it to make the RS Spyder a LMP2 into an LMP1 (If possibl) or would it be a new machine
I believe it to be possible. Both the new Courage and Lola were designed as a LMP1 and 2 car. All they need to do is add the Carrera GT engine, strengthen the rest around it, fit wider tires and if needed ballast the car to 925 kg. There is more to it of course, but the rules were made to make it possible.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1624405)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
...All they need to do is add the Carrera GT engine...
Or bolt a couple of turbos onto the LMP2 engine.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1624475)   #6
KaspervG
Rookie

Netherlands
KaspervG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they'll make an anouncement after LM
Old 1 Jun 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1624488)   #7
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm another user that doesn't usually post in this area, but i was watching the ALMS on sky over the weekend and so the porker RS spyders (LMP2) beat the Audi's (LMP1).

However, when i have looked at the lemans 24hr entry, i didn't see them on the list..

Are they not racing in the 24hr this year?

si
Old 1 Jun 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1624501)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton
Are they not racing in the 24hr this year?
The Porsche LMP2 will only be racing in North America in 2006.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1624523)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon when Porsche come back to LMP1 , the car will be a completely new design . The Lola was built to be sold to customers at a half affordable price , Porsche will not have this restriction , imo .
Old 2 Jun 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1625663)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think really the porker RS LMP1 if it comes to fruition will be based on the LMP2 car, think about it this way, they have a LMP2 car which is pretty much as fast as the LMP1's and also they have a great base to work off and really all they would do is tart up the aerodynamics of the LMP2 machine, have wider tyred, turbo the V8 from the LMP2 machine and they would probably also need a new gearbox to handle all the power and it would probably be ballasted to about 900kg or thereabouts but i cant see them rolling around in LMP2 especially with audi and next year peugeot and at current the pescarolo's in LMP1 and also honda has its plans for lemans glory first with a new LMP2 car and then an LMP1 car but whether that bears fruit like many of the other japanese lemans efforts remains to me a bit sceptical, when a japanese team enters lemans they usually have a lot of experience, the best drivers, the fastest car, a reliable car and a shed load of money to get were they are, just the japanese at lemans have had the cruelest of luck, toyota in 1998 and 1999 was one of the worst pieces of luck ever but a 3rd place finish isnt all that bad, hoepfully we will see nissan back at lemans soon and maybe mazda with a LMP car, i know i would
Old 2 Jun 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1625713)   #11
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They won't go for an LMP2 win, they will go for gold.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 07:12 (Ref:1625962)   #12
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i think really the porker RS LMP1 if it comes to fruition will be based on the LMP2 car, think about it this way, they have a LMP2 car which is pretty much as fast as the LMP1's and also they have a great base to work off and really all they would do is tart up the aerodynamics of the LMP2 machine, have wider tyred, turbo the V8 from the LMP2 machine and they would probably also need a new gearbox to handle all the power and it would probably be ballasted to about 900kg or thereabouts but i cant see them rolling around in LMP2 especially with audi and next year peugeot and at current the pescarolo's in LMP1 and also honda has its plans for lemans glory first with a new LMP2 car and then an LMP1 car but whether that bears fruit like many of the other japanese lemans efforts remains to me a bit sceptical, when a japanese team enters lemans they usually have a lot of experience, the best drivers, the fastest car, a reliable car and a shed load of money to get were they are, just the japanese at lemans have had the cruelest of luck, toyota in 1998 and 1999 was one of the worst pieces of luck ever but a 3rd place finish isnt all that bad, hoepfully we will see nissan back at lemans soon and maybe mazda with a LMP car, i know i would
Crikey... could you please use full stops? That was a real task to read!

I think if Porsche simply made the LMP2 into an LMP1, it might persuade a couple of customers to do the same and upgrade into the top class with an RS Spyder? For if/when a big-bucks works effort stops and they have semi-works teams like they've generally had with the 996 GT3 RSR...?
Old 3 Jun 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1626068)   #13
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehe, well bob i forget to use full stops a lot so this next bit will be done with fullstops

interesting way to look at it is in that way, if they use upgraded LMP2 RS spyders as a base for their LMP1 car then when the works effort from porsche themselves is over top end privateer teams would pick up the pieces, champion, joest and potentiolly oreca if they do like they did with the R8 last year. it will be interesting though to see if penske ran the LMP1 team though, they would run the LMP2 works effort for a few years while porsche in germany would probably run the LMP1 effort.
what remains to be seen is if they do race a LMP1 car then what engine will they be using, they could use the 3.4 V8 out of the RS spyder and turbo it or they could also make a new engine, 5.0 V10 or maybe like the old days a 3.6 flat 6 bi-turbo but its all speculation at the moment and hopefully this will happen. its very likely this will happen in the next year or two so we just have to see were things are going to go from here.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1626276)   #14
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard rumours too that Penske don't want to stay in LMP2 but want to leap to LMP1 too...

Also heard somewhere (may even have been here) that Audi and Porsche have an understanding that they will not compete in the same class...

I would prefer them to go to LMP1 - I think it is a bit dodgy for them to stay in LMP2 - which is really designed for privateers...
But I guess we shall see
Old 4 Jun 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1626830)   #15
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The deal about Porsche and Audi not competing in the same class was from back in 2000 when Porsche had plans for the LMP2000 to run against the R8s. I have heard now that Audi would actually want Porsche to compete against them for some competition! As of right now, there are no agreements between Audi and Porsche about not competing in the same class! Hopefully that agreement will be taken advantage of and we will see Porsche LMP1 vs Audi R10 vs Peugeot LMP1 at Le Mans in a year or two!!!
Old 4 Jun 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1627031)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
hehe, well bob i forget to use full stops a lot so this next bit will be done with fullstops

interesting way to look at it is in that way, if they use upgraded LMP2 RS spyders as a base for their LMP1 car then when the works effort from porsche themselves is over top end privateer teams would pick up the pieces, champion, joest and potentiolly oreca if they do like they did with the R8 last year. it will be interesting though to see if penske ran the LMP1 team though, they would run the LMP2 works effort for a few years while porsche in germany would probably run the LMP1 effort.
what remains to be seen is if they do race a LMP1 car then what engine will they be using, they could use the 3.4 V8 out of the RS spyder and turbo it or they could also make a new engine, 5.0 V10 or maybe like the old days a 3.6 flat 6 bi-turbo but its all speculation at the moment and hopefully this will happen. its very likely this will happen in the next year or two so we just have to see were things are going to go from here.
The only quotes I've seen from Penske state see the ALMS program as a long term relationship and are competing in 2006 to develop the RS Spyder for customers.

I took this as meaning they'll move to out of P2 in 2007 and work on a P1.

I reckon we could see Penske running the ALMS program while the 'factory' Porsche team run in Europe against Joest Audi and Peugeot.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1627523)   #17
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have listend that its not very easy work between Porsche and Penske, think its was on Motors or Eurosport german audio with Manfred Jandtke (ex Porsche Sport chief). Penske is not happy with the drivers he has to sit in the car, Penske doesnt like the painting of the car but he is not allowed to change and so one
Old 5 Jun 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1627593)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
why would porsche (who effectivley own VAG) compete against Audi?
Old 5 Jun 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1627597)   #19
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why did Peugeot and Citroen compete against each other in WRC?

Porsche is a major stockholder in VAG, but it is _not_ the same company. They also don't compete on the same part of the car market (except the SUV-crap), so why not?
Old 5 Jun 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1627655)   #20
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Porsche wants to show that it is still possible to win Le Mans with an engine that makes noise
Old 5 Jun 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1627689)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
Why did Peugeot and Citroen compete against each other in WRC?

Porsche is a major stockholder in VAG, but it is _not_ the same company. They also don't compete on the same part of the car market (except the SUV-crap), so why not?
Next year Audi launches the R8 road car.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1628025)   #22
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Next year Audi launches the R8 road car.
And Lamborghini is also competing with high end Porsches: Gallardo is competitor of 911 turbo.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1628171)   #23
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Lamborghini is called Lamborghini and not Audi. :P

Okay, maybe the R8 will compete, still doesn't really explain why they shouldn't race against each other. Noone is saying Peugeot are worse cars than Citroen only because Citroen beat the crap out of Peugeot in WRC the last two years.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1628265)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Citroen WRC programme was almost an accident as the F2 car was soo quick they went WRC as an experiment, lots of politics.

Much as I would like to see the LMP1 Euro spec Porsche at Le Mans its won't happen, that cars is gonna be another weissach talking point.