Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 16 Apr 2014, 02:31 (Ref:3393112)   #376
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that some of you need to learn to distinguish the difference between those who have skids for fun and those who are seriously contesting a NZ Championship
Old 16 Apr 2014, 03:01 (Ref:3393117)   #377
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope it was not a direct answer to you but more commenting on JamesK post using your very accurate description of 2KCup to reinforce my view
Old 16 Apr 2014, 03:56 (Ref:3393125)   #378
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the 2K Cup. I hope it continues to thrive and isn't killed by people spending $$$ to win.
I also like TRS as a spectacle, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool single seater race car fan so don't get too excited, but I like the fact there are Internationals here.NZ's "top class"...that is a class that is accepted by fans and drivers seems to always be a saloon car class, has since the 70's.
What form that takes...well, the sound of the FIA level 2 class to support the WTCC is good at first take, but needless to say will cost plenty of $$$$ as anything with that three letter acronym tends to do. What about a newer version of the $2K idea, that is production racing along the lines of the old B&H days.
What about V8's???? Well; it seems the continual staff changes happening in V8SC's along with loss of Holden/Ford $$$ and the politically driven ideals we have had here in NZ...it may be a safe bet to say that they will not be the top class in the future?? Just my PERSONAL thoughts
Old 16 Apr 2014, 06:52 (Ref:3393152)   #379
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
I like the 2K Cup. I hope it continues to thrive and isn't killed by people spending $$$ to win.
I also like TRS as a spectacle, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool single seater race car fan so don't get too excited, but I like the fact there are Internationals here.NZ's "top class"...that is a class that is accepted by fans and drivers seems to always be a saloon car class, has since the 70's.
What form that takes...well, the sound of the FIA level 2 class to support the WTCC is good at first take, but needless to say will cost plenty of $$$$ as anything with that three letter acronym tends to do. What about a newer version of the $2K idea, that is production racing along the lines of the old B&H days.
What about V8's???? Well; it seems the continual staff changes happening in V8SC's along with loss of Holden/Ford $$$ and the politically driven ideals we have had here in NZ...it may be a safe bet to say that they will not be the top class in the future?? Just my PERSONAL thoughts

"Politically driven ideals" care to elaborate on that Raymond?

Maybe you could also put a timeline on what you consider is the future while you are at it, 1,2,3, 5 years? !0 years?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3393158)   #380
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
If TRS is NZ's top MSNZ class, remind us all how may NZ competitors compete in this class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
If NZ competitors is what you need to be the top class then
2K cup beats NZV8 and ST's doesn't it?

I dont think there is 'a' top class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
surely you do not want our 'top' class to be a class of 'cheap-as-chips' cars
Without stating the obvious, I don't think anyone was actually serious that 2K Cup is or would ever be our top or premier class, but DX was just noting that it depends on what your criteria is to become a "top class", and making the point that if it was based on competitor numbers then a class like 2K Cup would be up there...
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3393185)   #381
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I accidentally responded to an old message whereby the absence of Hampton Downs from the calendar was noted so I have reworded it as it seems that you can't delete your message once posted...

Anyway, what are the issues here with ST and Hampton Downs? I presume there are issues, given that Pukekohe is no longer a real favourite with some sectors either.

Last edited by socram; 16 Apr 2014 at 08:23.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3393278)   #382
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

Maybe you could also put a timeline on what you consider is the future while you are at it, 1,2,3, 5 years? !0 years?
I'm guessing 4 to 5 years at most...but it's just a guess
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3393298)   #383
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Genuine question. Do you even need a 'top class'? In a small country population-wise, surely you just need what people want to race and what people want to watch (and marshal for). If the top class can't attract drivers and speccies, it's not the top class regardless of machinery. It seems to me that more note needs to be taken of what is successful and less on egos and money which seem to blighting the sport nationally.

Top class worldwide is F1, and locally (for me) BTCC. I avoid both in favour of club meetings with hordes of drivers in sometimes interesting cars having a good time racing for the fun of it.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3393531)   #384
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point Woolley! However, if any motorsport is going to be televised and supposedly representing the sport, it is generally modern and the aim in tin tops is usually to sell more cars - BTCC being a brilliant example.

NZ (and Australia) have had a fast disappearing assembly or manufacturing sector so with Super Tourers, it has been a class to basically present a V8 powered series which is what the locals seem to prefer, over 2 litre saloons. The aim hasn't been to sell cars.

Many of us wouldn't bother crossing the road to watch any one/two make series, particularly with small grids. Much as I love the classics, there is something a bit odd if the best racing is 40 or 50 year old cars!

Youngsters may need something to aspire to and although the single-seater route via FF and TRS is proving to be a great international stepping stone, without a recognised "Top Class" the country lacks something.

The top meeting of the year is generally recognised as the Aussie V8s, but in second and minor placings, it is the classics and historics.

IF a major sponsor came out of the woodwork and threw a shed full of money at promoting Muscle Cars for example, they could very easily buy their way to public acclaim. F1 hardly needs to promote itself. All it needs to do is be shown well in the media.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3393714)   #385
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hearing Reports of a hired gun from being Flown in for next weekend
Old 17 Apr 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3393740)   #386
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
you said that the other week

shall we play the name game?

is he a former fulltime V8SC driver.. without a fulltime V8SC drive this season?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3393762)   #387
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
"Hired Gun" is a little bit Hollywood for my taste, but there is no question that Steve Owen is highly rated in the V8Supercar world, and Jacko has done well to sign Steve for Pukekohe.

Whilst its a one-off drive for the moment, I understand that if it all works out at Puke, that Steve could well be part of AV8's return to the V8ST Series.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3393768)   #388
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
"Hired Gun" is a little bit Hollywood for my taste, but there is no question that Steve Owen is highly rated in the V8Supercar world, and Jacko has done well to sign Steve for Pukekohe.

Whilst its a one-off drive for the moment, I understand that if it all works out at Puke, that Steve could well be part of AV8's return to the V8ST Series.
17 pit garages allocated, has international entered 2 cars as they do then have a lot of space, Owen on top of the tyres at the end of the back straight in the old cars, must be paying some good money as most of av8s crew is on other teams
Old 17 Apr 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3393783)   #389
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Owen on top of the tyres at the end of the back straight in the old cars, must be paying some good money as most of av8s crew is on other teams

Not trying to be a smart arse here, but what are you saying here?

Who is paying good money and to whom?

Jacko has always been very hands on and most of his small crew is pretty much the same as its been for a number of year's.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3394811)   #390
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
you said that the other week

shall we play the name game?

is he a former fulltime V8SC driver.. without a fulltime V8SC drive this season?
Hope you are happy that Steve Owen is filling a seat for next weekend. Pity for Young Nick but if he's chasing a drive in Europe he should stay close to the Action on that side of the World.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3396592)   #391
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
15 ST's for the weekend, 13 Utes. Money must be tight, eh?
Old 22 Apr 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3396624)   #392
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Hope you are happy that Steve Owen is filling a seat for next weekend. Pity for Young Nick but if he's chasing a drive in Europe he should stay close to the Action on that side of the World.
Couldn't agree more and very pleased to advise you that due to a lot of support from Kiwi backers, Nick will be on the grid this weekend in formula Renault, with a top team.

The other bit of good news is that Nick will also be in AV8's V8ST with a top Aussie for the Endurance Series, starting at Taupo at the end of September.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3396954)   #393
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Couldn't agree more and very pleased to advise you that due to a lot of support from Kiwi backers, Nick will be on the grid this weekend in formula Renault, with a top team.

The other bit of good news is that Nick will also be in AV8's V8ST with a top Aussie for the Endurance Series, starting at Taupo at the end of September.
Lets hope then that Nick has a budget for the Full year.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 03:59 (Ref:3397040)   #394
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
15 ST's for the weekend, 13 Utes. Money must be tight, eh?
Wow! A third of a full grid for each.

Might just as well combine them and make one decent sized grid and give them twice as many races.

Its all very well extending tracks but all it means is that paying spectators stare at empty tarseal for longer.

Just 13 Utes? C'mon guys. This is not going to bring in the punters. Might just as well add in the Ssang Yongs.

If it wasn't for the media pumping up the Aussie V8's, the meeting wouldn't exactly attract the unconverted.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 00:39 (Ref:3397515)   #395
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of rain and Pukekohe is up to it's old tricks:

http://instagram.com/p/nJwyUgvlaX/
Old 24 Apr 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3397519)   #396
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Wow! A third of a full grid for each.

Might just as well combine them and make one decent sized grid and give them twice as many races.

Its all very well extending tracks but all it means is that paying spectators stare at empty tarseal for longer.

Just 13 Utes? C'mon guys. This is not going to bring in the punters. Might just as well add in the Ssang Yongs.

If it wasn't for the media pumping up the Aussie V8's, the meeting wouldn't exactly attract the unconverted.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3397920)   #397
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone read the post on velocity motorsport on Facebook?
Old 24 Apr 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3397921)   #398
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Yeah, wonder if this means a reunification between the 2 V8 series is on the cards?
Old 25 Apr 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3397937)   #399
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
The article is now gone from their Facebook page.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3397947)   #400
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the gist of it? Sounds juicy