Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Apr 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3391576)   #1
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC General Discussion Thread

I am not sure whether anyone else will see the point in such a thread but here goes. Every season we have stories that emerge, whether about a team entering mid-year, the support series or the following season that doesn’t really have a defined place for discussion. So I thought perhaps I should create one.
There are several I have seen so far this season. One is Marc Hynes in Motor Sport Magazine. To quote “Hynes has put himself in a position to succeed by signing for two years with the MG factory team Triple Eight.” So is this confirmation that MG are going beyond the three year plan or just Triple Eight will stick around after MG go?
Number two is in Racecar Engineering, who seem to think that the Civic Tourer will be a one year special before next year being replaced by the new Civic Type- R. The same magazine has Robb Holland stating that he would like to build and sell customer S3’s.
Finally we have TBL 32. Now Gow has said he would like to reduce the issued TBL’s back down to 31. From what I can see that isn’t going to happen. We have Jake Hill who seems exceedingly confidant that he will be out in a touring car sometime later this year, if his Porsche deal doesn’t work out. We also have the mystery “Car” that nobody really knows about but has been hinted at by people in the know.
Fire away people…
Old 13 Apr 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3391892)   #2
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good thread.

In other news, Robb Holland and Rob Austin have been playing away in the VLN in a Rotek A4, Dan Welch has been keeping match-fit with Britcar in a Porsche.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3392085)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dan has been wiping competitors' noses in a Porsche. He had 3 walks in the park at Silverstone yesterday.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3392291)   #4
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I am not sure whether anyone else will see the point in such a thread but here goes. Every season we have stories that emerge, whether about a team entering mid-year, the support series or the following season that doesn’t really have a defined place for discussion. So I thought perhaps I should create one.
There are several I have seen so far this season. One is Marc Hynes in Motor Sport Magazine. To quote “Hynes has put himself in a position to succeed by signing for two years with the MG factory team Triple Eight.” So is this confirmation that MG are going beyond the three year plan or just Triple Eight will stick around after MG go?
Number two is in Racecar Engineering, who seem to think that the Civic Tourer will be a one year special before next year being replaced by the new Civic Type- R. The same magazine has Robb Holland stating that he would like to build and sell customer S3’s.
Finally we have TBL 32. Now Gow has said he would like to reduce the issued TBL’s back down to 31. From what I can see that isn’t going to happen. We have Jake Hill who seems exceedingly confidant that he will be out in a touring car sometime later this year, if his Porsche deal doesn’t work out. We also have the mystery “Car” that nobody really knows about but has been hinted at by people in the know.
Fire away people…
Good shout Lee with this thread.

Jake Hill & his Dad seemed pretty confident of Jake being in later this year, so is he lined up for the 'mystery car' when that appears or is someone already on borrowed time & we'll see the first (and only) change in a car somewhere?

Robb Holland originally planned to build 2 S3's and has said they are looking at customer supply, so could we see a 2nd Rotek entry? When BMR get their 3rd VW out for Scott the Insignia will be spare, plus the Civic that Mr James was supposed to have is kicking around, so potential for others to come in if allowed.

All interesting stuff
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3392930)   #5
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marc Hynes also told me that he has a multiple year deal. Don't know about the rest of the "MG" involvement yet though.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 06:33 (Ref:3393143)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i do hope MG hang around in the BTCC it is good to have them there with a name at least that harks back to the days of british motoring history
Old 16 Apr 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3393160)   #7
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i do hope MG hang around in the BTCC it is good to have them there with a name at least that harks back to the days of british motoring history
That's all it is - an old name. It's really a Chinese team backed by a hardly interested UK importer. It might as well just be called Team Tesco.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:53 (Ref:3393249)   #8
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
That's all it is - an old name. It's really a Chinese team backed by a hardly interested UK importer. It might as well just be called Team Tesco.
I wish they were just called team tesco the team kx momentum one or whatever is now is a proper mouthful
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3393276)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
I wish they were just called team tesco the team kx momentum one or whatever is now is a proper mouthful
KX Momentum was last year, this year they are "MG KX Clubcard Fuel Save"

Just trips off the tongue, doesn't it!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3393289)   #10
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am quoting this directly from today’s Motorsport News. I don’t know if I am reading it correctly but to me this appears to be good for the RWD teams. Or has the situation regarding possible penalties not changed?

“BTCC series director Alan Gow has said there will not be a special investigation into the fast starts made by rear-wheel-drive cars. He said the situation would be monitored in the normal way and changes would be made if he deems it necessary”
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3393307)   #11
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing as Tesco has just published a drop in profits for a second successive year, I can't see them spending money on a touring car team for 2015. As they provided the majority of the budget for Triple 8, along with 2014 being the final year of the contract with MG, I don't know where that leaves them for next year. Either MG needs to step up, or another title sponsor comes in.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3393313)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Jake Hill & his Dad seemed pretty confident of Jake being in later this year, so is he lined up for the 'mystery car' when that appears or is someone already on borrowed time & we'll see the first (and only) change in a car somewhere?
On a related topic, has Simon Hill been dropped from the commentary team for this year ?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3393318)   #13
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Seeing as Tesco has just published a drop in profits for a second successive year, I can't see them spending money on a touring car team for 2015. As they provided the majority of the budget for Triple 8, along with 2014 being the final year of the contract with MG, I don't know where that leaves them for next year. Either MG needs to step up, or another title sponsor comes in.
888 will just have to do what most privateers do, begging for sponsors and if neccessary hire drivers with $$$
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3393332)   #14
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
On a related topic, has Simon Hill been dropped from the commentary team for this year ?
Yes he has, he tweeted he wouldn't be back & I believe Phil Glew took his gig!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3393348)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's a pity... with all due respect to Phil Glew, he has a very long way to go before he's a match for Simon Hill.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3393459)   #16
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised that Quantel spent the money to ship Hynes' car (or at least, an NGTC MG in his livery) to Las Vegas for the NAB show. At first I thought "oh, I bet that's a rental car from Hertz in a wrap" and was surprised to see it really WAS an NGTC car.

Steve
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3393585)   #17
BtccLee
Veteran

Sorry, I know I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it got lost among all the other discussion and I thought people may still have view on it.

I am quoting this directly from today’s Motorsport News. I don’t know if I am reading it correctly but to me this appears to be good for the RWD teams. Or has the situation regarding possible penalties not changed?

“BTCC series director Alan Gow has said there will not be a special investigation into the fast starts made by rear-wheel-drive cars. He said the situation would be monitored in the normal way and changes would be made if he deems it necessary”
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3393586)   #18
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I take it is not coincidental to Jake's plans?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 01:41 (Ref:3393636)   #19
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know if Dan Welsh lost his TBL or Alan showed some mercy for him not attending Brands
Old 17 Apr 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3393693)   #20
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
anyone know if Dan Welsh lost his TBL or Alan showed some mercy for him not attending Brands
I heard that TOCA agreed that it was a case of 'force majeur' as it was parts related, which would seem sensible, though I believe Mr Gow wasn't too happy.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3393769)   #21
robhollyman
Racer

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
robhollyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
this is probably quite offensive to all those hard working people at the UK based design and engineering offices. These cars are still designed and engineered in the midlands.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3393823)   #22
medius
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhollyman View Post
this is probably quite offensive to all those hard working people at the UK based design and engineering offices. These cars are still designed and engineered in the midlands.
Agreed. Triple 8 are definitely not Chinese.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3393871)   #23
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhollyman View Post
Are you talking about 888 or MG here ?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3393908)   #24
robhollyman
Racer

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
robhollyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Are you talking about 888 or MG here ?
MG.

http://www.saicmotor.co.uk/About.aspx?page=1
Old 17 Apr 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3393932)   #25
medius
Veteran

England
Beyond supplying the shells and paying TOCA the fees, MG don't have much to do with the BTCC team. But yes, the company is a lot more British than people give them credit for.