Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Mar 2024, 19:23 (Ref:4201039)   #1
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rear axle volvo amazon question

Hi. I wondered if someone can give me a bit of advice please. I have a 1965 amazon, which we are currently building to race. I understand that the rear axle is a weak point with the amazon and i have been given different advice. I have been told that as it is a safety issue you can replace with an axle including rear brakes (was changed to discs from drums) from a car after 1966 when they were improved in period. However, would this be acceptable under appendix k? If not it seems quite a bit of work to improve the original axle. Thanks Mark
Old 13 Mar 2024, 12:40 (Ref:4201123)   #2
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Hi. I wondered if someone can give me a bit of advice please. I have a 1965 amazon, which we are currently building to race. I understand that the rear axle is a weak point with the amazon and i have been given different advice. I have been told that as it is a safety issue you can replace with an axle including rear brakes (was changed to discs from drums) from a car after 1966 when they were improved in period. However, would this be acceptable under appendix k? If not it seems quite a bit of work to improve the original axle. Thanks Mark
It does get very complicated .
Under APP K some changes were allowed , like later mods on the original Homologation papers , but they would often put the car into a later dated class .
It can depend on the regs for the series you want to enter , as to dating of classes .
There is a later rear axle shown on the Homologation papers in Aug 1966 , which might be what you need , although that does not have discs .
https://historicdb.fia.com/
You could try looking through the Homologations in the above link, and read up on App K , but you also need to know the regs for the series you want to run in .And if possible find someone who races a similar model and ask them what they do .
Old 13 Mar 2024, 17:06 (Ref:4201145)   #3
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I'm with you here, Tel. As to the series targetted, check if a HTP is mandatory or not. If yes, just stick to appendix K. May be a look to the appendix J is worth and a check to the list of already homologated cars too.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 20:47 (Ref:4201172)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume it might be the same in your country but here in Aus most of our Historic category car clubs such as our Historic Touring Car clubs for our Group N have an eligibility officer who are a good source of info for all matters relating, and are generally friendly and knowledgeable.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 21:39 (Ref:4201175)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I presume it might be the same in your country but here in Aus most of our Historic category car clubs such as our Historic Touring Car clubs for our Group N have an eligibility officer who are a good source of info for all matters relating, and are generally friendly and knowledgeable.

I assume you are not such an official?
Old 14 Mar 2024, 00:05 (Ref:4201184)   #6
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. I have found someone in europe that rebuilds the original axle with strengthened parts and is compliant with fia regs. Bit expensive but i think it will be worth proceeding with it. Just waiting on a bit more detail.
Old 14 Mar 2024, 09:14 (Ref:4201201)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you're talking about "retubing" it's done on many cars originally fitted with a live axle. Sometimes it's worth to arrange an accident during the process which could give some neg camber…