Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3160018)   #3826
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the way I wrote the comment wasn't the best, for sure. But I still think that they had the same idea but didn't use it. Can't find the interview of Jüttner where he explained the situation.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3160020)   #3827
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
And if they already had the wing design like Toyota's why didn't they run it? They certainly have the budget for it and could have implemented it in a test session after they saw Toyota's wasn't frowned upon.
There is a difference in testing a solution in the windtunnel to understand it and racing it on two cars. They would have to design in new nose to balance the added rear downforce and they would have to manufacture these new aero package (rear wing + nose) in a certain quantity. All this effort for a few races, before it would in Audi's eyes get banned...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3160023)   #3828
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Well the way I wrote the comment wasn't the best, for sure. But I still think that they had the same idea but didn't use it. Can't find the interview of Jüttner where he explained the situation.
There were two interview with Jüttner in which he commented on the Toyota rear wing.
Quote:
We will not invest in something like that for the last two or three races of the year. You will not see it from us and honestly, I believe that next year, you won't see it at all anymore.

They will change the rules in a way as they did from 2009 to 2010, when in 2009 the R15 was declared legal. It was protested by Peugeot but the protest was dismissed. But over the winter, the ACO changed the rules so that the R15 from 2009 would not be legal anymore, so we had to do a major change to the R15 plus.

With Toyota's wing, I'm pretty sure it will be the same because this is not what the ACO/FIA wants. Toyota obviously found a clever loophole, as did we with the R15, and that's what the game is all about.
source: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-ralf-juttner/

Quote:
We will not be on the grid tomorrow with a second end plate, and I doubt that we will have that in Brazil or during this year. Yes it is a very clever interpretation, we all find solutions that people ask, ‘how the hell can this be?’. Think about the R15 – it was a very similar thing, it was just clever. Probably during the rest of the year, you will see the first copies but I guess the FIA and ACO will do something, I don’t think it will be the standard rear end of a sportscar for 2013 or ’14. They found a hole and made proper use of it, which is fine. That is what they were supposed to do, and we do the same.
source: http://lendurance.co.uk/2012/08/wec-...sh-and-rumsey/
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3160028)   #3829
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
There is a difference in testing a solution in the windtunnel to understand it and racing it on two cars. They would have to design in new nose to balance the added rear downforce and they would have to manufacture these new aero package (rear wing + nose) in a certain quantity. All this effort for a few races, before it would in Audi's eyes get banned...
Yes, but it was a rhetorical question. As shown in your second comment, they had no plans to run it because they didn't think about running it. They admit Toyota found a clever interpretation of the rules like they'd done before. That was my point from the first post I started talking about the subject A big circle it all is
Old 30 Oct 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3160047)   #3830
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There is a difference in testing a solution in the windtunnel to understand it and racing it on two cars. They would have to design in new nose to balance the added rear downforce and they would have to manufacture these new aero package (rear wing + nose) in a certain quantity
Not so , there was no evidence of that on the Dallara or Audi R8R .

Lower the downforce they previously ran .

Fair comment : Toyota obviously found a clever loophole, as did we with the R15, and that's what the game is all about.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3160066)   #3831
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Not so , there was no evidence of that on the Dallara or Audi R8R .

Lower the downforce they previously ran .
Not according to Vasselon
Quote:
So then, these rear end developments have meant a change in the front diveplanes.

“Of course, because with the new rear end we create a lot of additional downforce, which you need to balance, leading to changes at the front. The front wheelarches are a little shorter, with a longer overhang of the splitter, and then with a small change on the diveplane we have balanced the extra downforce.”
source: http://lendurance.co.uk/2012/08/on-a...scal-vasselon/
Old 31 Oct 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3160532)   #3832
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There were two interview with Jüttner in which he commented on the Toyota rear wing.
source: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-ralf-juttner/

source: http://lendurance.co.uk/2012/08/wec-...sh-and-rumsey/
Sources at Audi tell me they've developed their own solution starting some months ago, even before the Toyota solution was made public, in spite of Juttner's denial.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3160539)   #3833
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I though that the story that Audi had their endplate solution for a while. I'd have to think that they probably started work on it around the time that TMG did, or maybe earlier, considering that it was reportedly wind tunnel tested.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3160899)   #3834
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Vasselon stated before they even raced that their car would push the envelope of the rules. So I believe the double endplate may have appeared at Spa if they were able to race.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3160912)   #3835
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Vasselon stated before they even raced that their car would push the envelope of the rules. So I believe the double endplate may have appeared at Spa if they were able to race.
I expect that Toyota would have raced with Le Mans aero in Spa. Audi also did this the last 2 years.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3161407)   #3836
TF110
Veteran

United States
You would think that, but then you could say the same about Fuji as well, but they stuck with the double wing.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3163760)   #3837
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Speedhunters article on the R18 engine.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/the-monoturbo/
This article has a picture of the MGU, but is difficult to judge its size.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/events...diesel_vs_gas/ has another picture, which shows the size of the MGU much better:

The article explains that the MGU weighs less than 50 pounds (= 22.7 kg). In the pre-season speculation, knighty estimated that the Audi front MGU would weigh around 20 kg (see post #2475 and post #2710). So he was spot on with his estimate.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3167782)   #3838
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Mike has analysed the revised rear end of the R18 in http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov12.html

He spectulates the changes might the result of switch from front to rear hybrid drive.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3167918)   #3839
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to John Dagys Tweet Audi is also testing at Aragon.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3167937)   #3840
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Michelin is organizing a session with some teams to test tire developments for 2013.

See http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3158580
Old 18 Nov 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3167993)   #3841
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Mike has analysed the revised rear end of the R18 in ...
He spectulates the changes might the result of switch from front to rear hybrid drive.
That sounds like a sensible move. The minimum speed rule wasn't helping.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3168014)   #3842
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That was my first thought. I can't imagine such an aerodynamic penalty would be necessary just to improve turbo cooling.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3168111)   #3843
TF110
Veteran

United States
Could it be? Audi giving up on their 'quattro'? They'll need to fix tire wear issues still. If they can do that, perhaps they'll be able to keep Toyota's pace.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3168125)   #3844
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They got a nice year of marketing out of the quattro and were able to win both the WEC and the 24. Very interesting development if they now cover off Toyota's rearward drive.

I wonder if they might try and hedge their bets like this year by keeping one quattro?
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3168129)   #3845
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they will be able to challenge next year.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3168135)   #3846
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think they will be able to challenge next year.
Yeah 2013 could finally be Audi's year.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3168142)   #3847
TF110
Veteran

United States
I only said keep Toyota's pace. being lapped at Brazil and Shanghai, that's certainly not keeping pace. They have the fuel consumption advantage, but what happens if Toyota makes a brand new engine that allows them better efficiency (compared to this year)? It's going to be a great season. I also wonder if there will be more 'hybrid release zones' on the tracks for 2013.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3168152)   #3848
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Could it be? Audi giving up on their 'quattro'? They'll need to fix tire wear issues still. If they can do that, perhaps they'll be able to keep Toyota's pace.
The tire issues could have been related to the front wheel hybrid drive
Old 18 Nov 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3168162)   #3849
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The tire issues could have been related to the front wheel hybrid drive
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most of the Audi tire wear issues front tire related? We also have to remember that the rear wheels on the Audi and Toyota have an ASR traction control system. I'm not sure if such a system was functional on the Audi FWD hybrid system. That ASR has proven to be very kind on the Toyota and Audi rear tires.

And then there's issues with the FWD system with handling, too, possibly.

I also wonder if a RWD hybrid system is potentially lighter than the FWD system, too. The still have to carry a ton of ballast up front to get the wide fronts to work, but I do think that a RWD system won't add a ton of weight, and if it's lighter, it can allow the use of a more powerful storage medium--larger flywheel?

Also of note is that the car, aside from the modified rear deck, is essentially running 2012 spec sprint race bodywork. IE, no widened endplates, no changes to the nose to balance that out. It seems that the main deal was the revised hybrid system.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3168194)   #3850
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the changes are to change the Audi to a RWD Hybrid would the system be able to take the torque of the diesel engine? This is the only reason I could see as to why Audi went to the FWD hybrid this year.