Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 16 Sep 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2291993)   #1
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Walsh 20th/21st

Who's gonna be there?
I will be, but not in my usual orange uniform, although still trackside
Anyone else, marshals or otherwise going to be there?
Old 17 Sep 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2292492)   #2
Perksy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pershore
Perksy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on Saturday, assisted by two glamourous newbies keen to see what SW is all about. I've told them that marshals are all extremely fit, have remarkable similarities to Brad Pitt, know all about lubricants, how to handle hot machinery, and how to clean up any sort of messy spillages. Please don't disappoint!
Matt will be around on Sun.
C
Old 17 Sep 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2292498)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perfectly correct in all details, Chris. However, you're referring to the position 4 pints down at the bar after the meeting. At 10am it's just the usual crowd.

Still a good lot, though, wouldn't change 'em for the world.

Think I'll be driving in both days now. Jan may or may not 'supervise' Finish Paddock from the comfort of a chair in a safe position. Anyone who doesn't want to park on the grass will have to answer to her, and if her foot's on one of it's niggling days she will be very grumpy. Approach with care!
Old 18 Sep 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2293094)   #4
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately due to the load of uni work I have at the mo I won't be attending... gutted xx
Old 18 Sep 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2293137)   #5
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive managed to persuade the powers that be to give me an entry think im running as car 81, maroon westfield. It will be the first time this year I havent double driven, should have time to chill between runs
Hope to be having a BBQ on sat night and a few beers.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2293235)   #6
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there both days - if this glorious weather keeps up might even risk the MG with top down!
Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2293406)   #7
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there both days on the rescue unit.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2293570)   #8
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops I'm still car 38 but wont score in that class
Old 19 Sep 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2293573)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May even dust the probans off and turn out on Sunday
Old 19 Sep 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2293683)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
I'll be there both days as I got the call from the MAC!

Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2293700)   #11
ROGER JORDAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
NORTH DEVON
ROGER JORDAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if Peter Cox is taking the Chevron on Saturday ?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2293719)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
I'll be there both days as I got the call from the MAC!
...but you're ignoring that and coming anyway!

See you there.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2294773)   #13
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I hope evryone has had a fab weekend xxx
Old 22 Sep 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2294999)   #14
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Wot a week-end!

Had a superb time at SW.

Saturday - left my folder with all my notes at the Chapel Hay Catreing van at Bottom Esse but Wooley retrieved it for me!

Sunday - couldn't get the link to the PA working & then inadvertantly rebooted the PC!

But despite this I did enjoy my first spell on-air at SW.

Highlights were:

Wooley driving a Force! (Admittedly backwards after its driver used it as a JCB)
The delivery of tasty commestibles to the Commentary Box on Sunday!
A wander round the paddock on Saturday with a pint of the amber nectar.
Mick Harriman's Audi catching fire during Sunday practice!
The Motorbike outright record getting a good thumping!
Deryk Young pot-hunting!
George Tatham in the McLaren M12/M6C
Seeing the marshals taking a step back when a certain Green Pug went up the hill!
Chris Aspinall's performance in the one litre Jedi on Saturday.
Will Hall's performances over the week-end which bode well for his 2009 season.
Nev Rollason's spin during Sunday practice - I still can't work out how he missed the scenery!
Martin Spencer in Spider II
John Palmer's second timed run on Sunday.
Karl Schollar and the 6 wheeled Spectre on any run over the two days!
Tony Jarvis finally breaking the 33 second barrier with the FF1600 Van Diemen.
Lyn Padfield who managed (a) not to spin his Lotus 7, (b) not to hit anything despite having the most lurid moment at Bottom Esse.
Finally Matt Oakley who kept his Sat Nav on all day!

It was great fun so will have to see if I am asked back!

Old 22 Sep 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2295204)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Wasn't going to mention that you'd left your folder behind. We were very tempted to change the programme for one from the last meeting and see how soon you noticed!

Driving the Force was an interesting experience (backwards, as stated, and under gravity power). Despite being on the lanky side, I didn't fit it. Goodness knows how it's regulars manage. I'm more convinced than ever that I wouldn't like to drive a small single-seater on a hillclimb. I gather you named me as the driver over the PA! I was concentrating so I missed it (and another reported mention later on).

What with your missing folder, Toby's faux-pas at Top-Ess and John Moody starting the afternoon on Sunday by welcoming the crowd to Prescott it was a troubled week-end for the commentary team.

On a serious note, the Harriman fire reminded us why we are there. The flames looked spectacular from Bottom-Ess - initially it looked to us like it was inside the car, but happily that was not the case. The driver helped us enormously by getting the car stopped quickly near the marshal's post and switching off the electrics. Nonetheless, the team at Top-Ess did a superb job in extinguishing the conflagration quickly and efficiently, and special mention to Patrick Fennessey for his outstanding work. Between them all, the car was saved from significant damage. It did inadvertantly lead to two comedy moments. Firstly, the doctor was already sitting comfortably in the car as we dived in and set off at a rate of knots as back-up. Remarkably, he didn't spill any of the full cup of coffee that I didn't know he'd got. Secondly, a certain Chief Fire who shall remain nameless demonstrated that the dry-powder bottle was empty, only to discover that it was not. Patrick had done such a fine job that only part of it had been used. As a result of this demonstration Barry and I are making sure we're not too far from a toilet for the next few days. The spectators found it highly amusing.

So with that, may I say publicly a huge thank you to everyone who has marshalled at Shelsley Walsh this season. They're a great team and I can turn up to any meeting confident that I'm going to have enough marshals and of a very high quality, willing and able to cope with whatever occurs. On top of that we're continuing to recruit new marshals who are welcomed in and trained by the regulars. My job is easy, then, and I am happy that the drivers are as safe as can be.

Finally, I'd like to pass on the love and best wishes of everyone to Margaret and Pat Mather as they struggle with illnesses. I won't give out details, but we are all thinking of you both.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2295294)   #16
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Driving the Force was an interesting experience (backwards, as stated, and under gravity power). Despite being on the lanky side, I didn't fit it. Goodness knows how it's regulars manage. I'm more convinced than ever that I wouldn't like to drive a small single-seater on a hillclimb. I gather you named me as the driver over the PA! I was concentrating so I missed it.

What with your missing folder, Toby's faux-pas at Top-Ess and John Moody starting the afternoon on Sunday by welcoming the crowd to Prescott it was a troubled week-end for the commentary team.
I couldn't resist giving you a mention over the airwaves! As for fitting into the Force, I have tried sitting in many single seaters and found very few I would have been able to drive comfortably.

The other thing that people trackside don't hear is the gentle ribbing that goes on in the background. I also heard a certain rotund commentator hurried switching off his mike so that his giggling wouldn't be heard over the speakers! He was then unable to commentate for several minutes!!!

Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2295473)   #17
robert77
Racer

England
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a lovely weekend, having a taste of the media side of things at SW. The weather thankfully was glorious all weekend, albeit pretty chilly first thing before I'd got a couple of coffee's inside me.

Having been a marshal at SW on and off for the last ten years, it was good to go there to do something different and is something I'll definately be doing again next season. Shame I missed Woolley shoehorned into a Force though, would've been a great camera moment (although he'd never have forgiven me for it!)

Here's looking forward to another great year at SW next year!
Old 22 Sep 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2295700)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I have pictures, although unfortunately they give the impression that it was me who crashed it!

Some of Jan's colleague's from work were there and told her they'd heard my name mentioned several times. You need to be careful giving me an introduction, I tend to get confused and sing something!

I know what you're saying about background discussion. It happens on the radio too and there are moments when everyone on post is wondering why we're laughing because they didn't hear the message.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2296214)   #19
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I've had that before now. The worst case I've seen was when a chap had a heavy smash into the armco. The clerks couldn't quite get why we weren't getting the driver out of the car. The problem was it was difficult to explain over the radio that the bulk of the force on his body was arrested ...shall we say...by the lower section of his lap belts.

We waited until he stopped talking like Mickey Mouse before we moved him.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2296227)   #20
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
I've had that before now. The worst case I've seen was when a chap had a heavy smash into the armco. The clerks couldn't quite get why we weren't getting the driver out of the car. The problem was it was difficult to explain over the radio that the bulk of the force on his body was arrested ...shall we say...by the lower section of his lap belts.

We waited until he stopped talking like Mickey Mouse before we moved him.
Very considerate. Hope you had cut your finger nails!
Old 23 Sep 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2296304)   #21
robert77
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I have pictures, although unfortunately they give the impression that it was me who crashed it!
See? The camera doesn't always tell the truth does it?
Old 25 Sep 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2297480)   #22
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Any photos of car 14 on sunday would be appreciated.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2297642)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I've got a couple courtesy of Mudge and my camera. I'll send them over to you.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2297985)   #24
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
The photos are quite good... considering who was behind the camera xx
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2298145)   #25
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker